Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 08:18:30 am

Author Topic: What is your best way/s of studying?  (Read 5072 times)  Share 

J_Rho

• MOTM: MARCH 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +756
What is your best way/s of studying?
« on: December 05, 2019, 01:26:16 pm »
+11
A thread to discuss ways of studying.
How do you study and why does it work for you??
I'll go first:
Method: Flashcards
Why: Because both making them and using them is great revision I find they work very well for Legal Studies
— VCE —
English 30, Further Maths 33, Biology 33, Legal Studies 27, Psychology 32

— University —
Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash
Bachelor of Counselling & Psychological Science @ ACAP

ashmi

• MOTM: June 20
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Living an illusion
  • Respect: +660
Re: What is your best way/s of studying?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2019, 02:14:32 pm »
+6
Really depends on the subject for me but usually, it follows something like this:

(Mainly for Science/Math based subjects)
Method: Mindmaps and Practise Questions
Why: To see how each topic is related to one another and to show the different connections of similar ideas. It is also really good to see if there are alternative methods in answering a question (works especially well for Physics). Mindmaps are a great way to help condense all of your ideas in one place. Also a combination of practise questions to make sure that you can apply your knowledge properly after learning a new topic! Helps reinforce the new content as well as see if there are gaps in your understanding. ;D

DrDusk

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +130
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2019, 02:40:30 pm »
+6
I’m quite old school
Method:
Grab a textbook and straight up self study from it.
Why
Well I guess it’s because textbooks provide enough detail for you to learn but still give a bit of space for you to take own time and discover things yourself for uni Physics. The questions are also quite fun to do.

r1ckworthy

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +305
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2019, 02:53:09 pm »
+4
Method: Making questions for myself, based most probably on lecture notes taken during the lecture. I would not write the answer, just questions.
Why: Obviously, I have not started university yet but I think this is the most optimal study method for me. My understanding of each subject really reached the next level when I began to take notes of what the teacher is saying in my own words, in the form of a basic outline, mindmaps, diagrams etc. However, the problem was that I would leave these notes as is without looking at them again for a long time, promptly forgetting the concepts I worked so hard to understand.
So now straight after the lecture, or 1-2 hours afterwards (while it is all fresh in my head), I hope to make a couple of questions that basically prompt me to remember the gritty details of a concept, reminding me and further solidifying my understanding. I won’t write the answers as I believe it would take up some time, so I would just refer back to my lecture notes.

However, I think for HSC, VCE and alike (and in university, if available) the best method would be past papers. You don’t even have to do it, although it would be beneficial. The day before my physics HSC, I just flicked through a bunch of past exam questions and their answers to see if I have missed something in my study. The key is to reveal yourself to as many questions as possible, so you know how to attack them on the day.
HSC 2019: English Advanced || Mathematics || Mathematics Extension 1 || Physics || Chemistry || Science Extension || Ancient History ||

Bachelor of Physiotherapy @ ACU

The Yr12 journey- a diary I "hope" to update... || Halfway through Year 12... lessons I've learned so far. || Check out my youtube channel!

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • 🚀🚀Secret to getting ahead: Get Started!
  • Respect: +456
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2019, 02:53:55 pm »
+4
This is a great thread J_Rho!
Part of my study routine is below:

Method:
For subjects like maths or physics probably do about 2 or 3 questions (of varying difficulties) everyday.

You could also try this by just downloading some past papers and picking questions for other subjects too such as Biology or Humanities.

Why:
Consistency is key during the HSC/ VCE and as you contiually do this throughout the year, you will eventually know how to tackle similar questions on the actual HSC exams.

I hope this helps people!
Coolmate😎
🤯HSC 2020:🤯
🔥Advanced Maths🔥 - 📚Advanced English📚 - ☄️Physics☄️ - ✌Biology✌ - 🙏SOR 1🙏 - 👨‍💻IPT👨‍💻

🎓University 2021 - 2025:
Bachelor of Science (Biology) / Bachelor of Information Technology (Cyber Security)

👊Need Motivation Click Here!💪         🌴Bio Marking and Feedback!

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5

K.Smithy

• QLD MVP - 2019
  • QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • "We are the cosmos made conscious." B.C. (she/her)
  • Respect: +396
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2019, 03:09:51 pm »
+2
For me, it depends on the subject and topic.
My absolute favourite way to study has to be when I'm studying brain anatomy or the nervous system for psychology

Method:
Diagrams!!!! ;D (yay! drawing! yay! colours!) I flipping love drawing diagrams and stuff for brain anatomy and the nervous system, I think I have ~6 brains that I have drawn and colour coded at the front of my psych book

Why:
1. It's fun. As much as I don't mind slaving away behind a textbook for hours on end just memorising, being able to draw and add colour and be creative just provides a break from my standard methods of studying
2. Diagrams are quicker to review when it comes to exam preparation than paragraphs of writing
3. I find it helps me really figure out where something is in relation to another thing (duh? ;D) - like you can read about brain anatomy and it will be all like "the amygdala is adjacent to this... and perpendicular to this...", but that doesn't click with my brain. Instead, I can just look at my diagram and see where exactly the amygdala is and what surrounds it
QCE 2020: Physics (92) || Psychology (96) || Biology (93) || Methods (79) || English (98) || SOR (91)
ATAR: 98.40
2021-2024: Bachelor of Advanced Science (Honours) @ UQ

Uni Journal ; U3 Bio ; U3 Psych ; U3 Physics

tigerclouds

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +27
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2019, 12:24:47 am »
+2
A thread to discuss ways of studying.
How do you study and why does it work for you??
I'll go first:
Method: Flashcards
Why: Because both making them and using them is great revision I find they work very well for Legal Studies
Hi J_Rho, thank you so much for this thread! Can I ask, how do you make them for Legal Studies? Is it just for definitions? I really want to start using flashcards, I just want to avoid rote-learning the content.

J_Rho

• MOTM: MARCH 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +756
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2019, 08:45:00 am »
+3
Hi J_Rho, thank you so much for this thread! Can I ask, how do you make them for Legal Studies? Is it just for definitions? I really want to start using flashcards, I just want to avoid rote-learning the content.

I make them not only for definitions but also phrases or questions like "Identify 3 limitations of justice" or things like that as I personally have no issue with the way I write my answers so the thing I really focus on improving is my knowegde
— VCE —
English 30, Further Maths 33, Biology 33, Legal Studies 27, Psychology 32

— University —
Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash
Bachelor of Counselling & Psychological Science @ ACAP

yourfriendlyneighbourhoodghost

• Forum Obsessive
  • sleep now and dream, study now and live your dream
  • Respect: +34
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2019, 01:14:09 pm »
+4
method: Quizlet is probably what gave me so much confidence during VCE especially for psych and English.

why? quizlet had a nice and effective way to easily create flash cards and you could have as many as you wanted! You could then sort them into folders or areas of study then, so could study specific things that you lacked in, then, when revising the whole content for exams, chuck all the little flashcard groups into a folder for that subject and you can study all of them at the same time! I also found it nice to see when you mastered a term, it put it in a place that said you have learnt that term and that may have given me confidence because if it says I have learnt it, then it would be easy to recall during the exam. (:
2018: Studio Arts [37]
2019: English [38] Psychology [38] Vis Com [36] Software Development [40] Further Maths [35]
ATAR: 87.95 ❤️

2020-2023 Bachelor of Arts @ Unimelb

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • 🚀🚀Secret to getting ahead: Get Started!
  • Respect: +456
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2019, 09:28:36 pm »
+4
Hey Everyone, I have another!

Method:
Look, Cover, Write, Check(LCWC) method.
  • Look at notes/ questions/ summary for the specific subject
  • Cover what you have just written
  • Write out what you remember (and even more information if you want too!)
  • Check what you just wrote down with the actual notes/ questions/ summary as answers

Why:
By using this method of study, not only will you be able to learn content in a different way, but you will also continually engage in repetition, causing both your short term and long term memory to remember, store and hold more information. This is seen when you have to cover your work and try to write out what you remember. This is especially useful for exams!

Coolmate 8)
🤯HSC 2020:🤯
🔥Advanced Maths🔥 - 📚Advanced English📚 - ☄️Physics☄️ - ✌Biology✌ - 🙏SOR 1🙏 - 👨‍💻IPT👨‍💻

🎓University 2021 - 2025:
Bachelor of Science (Biology) / Bachelor of Information Technology (Cyber Security)

👊Need Motivation Click Here!💪         🌴Bio Marking and Feedback!

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5

izzystewart123

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2019, 06:46:11 pm »
+1
Method: COLOUR CODE EVERYTHING!!!
Why?: I use colour to separate literally everything in my life so it only makes sense to do it for my study notes too. Say for Bio I'm studying Module 1 (Cells). I might use Pink for the organelles and their functions, blue for the active transport, green for passive transport, purple for enzymes etc. When I am in a test, I immediately associate whatever the question topic is about to a particular colour and instantly that blocks out all the other junk in my mind that I don't need for that question and I can imagine exactly what my notes looked like in that bright colour.

Hope this helps some people. Merry Christmas!  ;D

Jimmmy

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +154
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2019, 08:47:58 pm »
+1
Hey!

I think the first thing to know is that there is no one way of studying effectively. Different people study better doing different things, even changing depending on the time of day! I know I certainly did, despite there not being a great deal of variation.

Method
1. I wanted to handwrite my initial notes for all my subjects in Year 12, as I had done beforehand, but I quickly realised this wasn't feasible so I only ended up continuing that habit with Legal.
2. Revise content, flicking through notes, ensuring colour coding was accurate (used a BIC pen).
3. Type my notes (put this step before (2) for all subjects bar Legal & BusMan).
4. Make Kahoots & Quizlets, go through them.
5. Complete practice SACs and Questions.
6. Get them checked by somebody (eg. friend, teacher, tutor).
7. Any difficult concepts/ones that you didn't score highly on, immediately go back to your notes and reread over those, then practice the questions again.

Why?
I am not, and have never been a quick writer. Doing writing intensive study as I had been doing previously was causing me to fall behind after about two weeks this year, so I made the pragmatic decision to change it up. Study wise, I couldn't have imagined doing things any other way this year, as I wasn't an amazingly creative/visual person, so diagrams, pictures or other things weren't super effective. I did like making the Kahoots & Quizlets for my classmates and I, though!

I think an underrated resource is collaborating with peers, talking about theory over lunch, discussing things in class, making connections that way in a (somewhat) intangible manner. I know some teachers frown on it, in class especially, but I honestly found those interactions as one of the most effective methods, and it really featured in between all 7 of those steps I listed above.
2018 - 2019 (VCE): English Language, Maths Methods, Legal Studies, Global Politics, Business Management (2018), Philosophy
2020 - 2024: Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Bachelor of Commerce @ Monash University