Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:10:25 pm

Author Topic: A thread for those who are scared to ask questions  (Read 2570 times)  Share 

JR_StudyEd

• MOTM: MAY 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
  • Respect: +171
A thread for those who are scared to ask questions
« on: April 10, 2019, 10:38:08 pm »
+6
Hi.
Are you scared to ask questions in class? Afraid of getting the answer wrong? Afraid of what your peers might think of you? Afraid of what your teacher might think or say to you? TBH, I feel this way SO many times throughout my academic life. I even feel scared to ask questions on ATARNotes, not gonna lie.

But I want to change my mindset, starting right now. Questions demand answers. And for me, they mean a lot. If I'm seriously stuck on something, something so simplistic as a little question can pull you out into freedom! Please reassure me that you're not alone in these sentiments. How can I be less terrified of asking questions, especially in real life, in class (*shudders at the thought*).
Listens to K-Pop (Twice, Red Velvet, MAMAMOO) and Christmas music all year round.

Jimmmy

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +154
Re: A thread for those who are scared to ask questions
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 11:00:25 pm »
+8
Hey JR,
I definitely understand where you're coming from, especially is a classroom environment. I think the most important thing to remember is why you're at school. Most answers that I come to; learning new concepts and ideas, gaining knowledge and getting a good ATAR all require questions being answered, so when I get nervous about asking something I try to defer to that.

A classroom can be daunting also, especially if you feel like your teacher isn't very willing to answer questions without a form of degradation. I've even had a teacher or two that in the last few years of high school, despite their sentiments, haven't really welcomed a platform for question/answer interactions in a positive way. In those cases, I'd look for environments which you'll be supported in with your questions. I'd say the ATARNotes forums are the perfect place for that.

Keep asking questions.  :)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 11:11:11 pm by Jimmmy »
2018 - 2019 (VCE): English Language, Maths Methods, Legal Studies, Global Politics, Business Management (2018), Philosophy
2020 - 2024: Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Bachelor of Commerce @ Monash University

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2019, 11:04:09 pm »
+12
Accept the fact you're in a learning environment where if you knew everything, there'd be no point you being there.

We go to school to learn - making mistakes and learning from it, is part of the process. Every single person has something to learn in that classroom, whether it be fundamental knowledge that is lacking or an ability to extend and challenge through problem-solving, deep learning and extension/enrichment.

I start off the year in my classes (actually, it's more than once a year) stating the absolute obvious: I make my environment a welcoming and accepting place for those to make mistakes. I immediately set the boundary of: if you laugh, you get sent out the door you came in. When I went through schooling, I was somebody who would suggest answers or ask 'dumb questions' and get them wrong. I definitely think it helps having a teacher who knows and understands this situation (or you as an individual). The students reacting in a certain way I can understand but in absolutely no circumstances should a teacher respond in a negative or inappropriate way - unless of course it is accepted 'banter' where the rapport between you & teacher is already established.

There are ways of 'asking questions' that doesn't involve putting up your hand and screaming it at the top of your lungs. A good teacher can implement formative assessment throughout class where students have multiple opportunities to demonstrate understanding in oral or written form. With my groups I use an exit ticket at the end of most of my classes where I get students to put down one 'burning question' they have after the lesson and we go through them the following lesson. Not saying your teacher has to do this, it's just an idea of getting your questions answered without public exposure.

I also think that asking the question after everybody has left is an OK approach. I often get students who stay behind afterwards to ask me questions as they have a similar fear to you in the sense that asking questions infront of 20-25 others is challenging. In the world of tech, email is also good!

Obviously I know that just saying 'ask outside of class' or the stock standard 'be brave, ask your question, chances are others will have it too' doesn't help somebody with your mindset as you already have the fixed idea that everybody's going to laugh at you etc, but I really do want you to know that you aren't the only person with these thoughts and accepting the reality that is you're there to learn and make mistakes will assist in the long run.

A lot of this has to do with the class environment - from how the tables are set up (e.g. segregation of students, collaborative squares, U-shape etc), to the attitudes/behaviours the class teacher demands from the class. All of these little things add up together and can definitely make the difference between a confident student willing to ask questions and somebody who lacks confidence/shuts down at just the thought.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 11:05:41 pm by Aaron »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

JR_StudyEd

• Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2019, 11:27:03 pm »
Accept the fact you're in a learning environment where if you knew everything, there'd be no point you being there.

the class environment - from how the tables are set up (e.g. segregation of students, collaborative squares, U-shape etc), to the attitudes/behaviours the class teacher demands from the class. All of these little things add up together and can definitely make the difference between a confident student willing to ask questions and somebody who lacks confidence/shuts down at just the thought.

So is it, at least in part, about creating an environment which is more conducive to asking questions? Can I, the student, do anything about this? I guess it also depends on the school subject.

I mean, in my Methods class, I'm confident that a good chunk of the class doesn't understand what our teacher is on about, but the student input is basically non-existent, outside of when our teacher puts us on the spot.
Listens to K-Pop (Twice, Red Velvet, MAMAMOO) and Christmas music all year round.

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2019, 12:03:05 am »
+8
I mean, in my Methods class, I'm confident that a good chunk of the class doesn't understand what our teacher is on about, but the student input is basically non-existent, outside of when our teacher puts us on the spot.

The teacher drives the environment. You as a student aren't able to modify the norms set in the class or simply change the seating arrangements. From your perspective, all you can do is raise your concerns or ideas with the teacher and hope they address them. If the teacher doesn't want to change, then unfortunately it's up to you to find alternative methods of questioning (e.g. asking a peer, asking the teacher outside of class or by written methods etc).

Even at senior years in my school, we setup the room using collaboration tables (e.g. two tables together and students sit around). This alone promotes the idea of sharing thoughts/discussion. You don't get that to the same extent if you have rows, or the U-shape layout.

Questions you ask are specific and individualised based on your understanding (or lack of). It's VERY important to ask them because the response you get can often solves your query directly rather than the teacher providing a general solution and you having to decode/interpret it in whatever way you want.

Like Jimmy I would definitely say AN is the perfect place to post judgement-free questions. For a subject like Methods all we ask is that you try it yourself first and show some understanding or even just decoding what the question is asking rather than saying 'help me with q12b please'. The amount of questions that are 'out there'.. I can't even count. So rest assured here any question you post won't be a bad one.

I mean, you saying that about your Methods class... you can already see the norm that it's OK to sit there idle and not ask questions. Your teacher has also accepted and set this norm. Why would anybody bother to ask questions if the environment isn't accepting of that? I personally think this reflects just as much on your teacher as it does on your peers and you.

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2019, 08:29:21 am »
+3
When I find myself wanting to procrastinate or avoid something I often ask myself "if not now, what's different about later?" Often this helps me realise that now is the best time & I actually do the thing  (e.g asking a question) right then.

Imo this is particularly relevant to asking questions because as time goes on & others gain more confidence it can be more difficult to ask.

If you're sitting next to someone you can also ask them. This might be easier since it's a smaller audience. Then,  if they can help you understand - great, you've got the knowledge now. If they can't help you understand,  then they would probably also benefit benefit from you asking someone else explain it & you're not alone in the question being useful.

There are certainly a number of times on atarnotes I've seen users asking questions that show gaps in their learning from previous years, so if you're in this position you aren't alone.

Even though I know better there is still that voice that says "don't put your hand up what if you look stupid?" but it gets easier to ignore with practice :)

JR_StudyEd

• Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2019, 03:18:36 pm »
How about asking questions to a teacher who you're terrified of? (Let's just pretend emailing doesn't exist, because real life interaction trumps emailing any day of the week imo) And what if you have to wait a century before they reply to their emails, but by that time it's too late? I know AN is a brilliant place to ask questions, but I really want to harness the expertise of my teachers more. Helping students is what they're paid to do.

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2019, 06:56:26 pm »
+1
Quote from: JR_StudyEd
Helping students is what they're paid to do.
I personally don't like this attitude. Maybe i've read it in the wrong way. They are there to help everybody, not bow down to you and jump through hoops just because you are terrified of them. A school teacher on average has 3-4 (maybe more) classes if they are full time. While it is correct they are there to help and guide, they cannot make you like them or respond to them in a different way. Teachers are humans too and obviously if we liked and could easily communicate with/appreciate everybody, the world would be a much better place. Sadly, this isn't the reality and we are going to come across people in our life that are easy to get along with and others that aren't.

In regards to your actual question now: The teacher realistically should be approachable particularly at VCE, so ask yourself why you're "terrified" of them. The teacher is your go-to person for that discipline, so if you're terrified of them then this is an individual thing where you need a resolution. Tbh the best way of approaching this is having a chat to them outside of class and voicing your concerns. The relationship between teacher and student at any year level is important, but arguably the most in Year 12. You will find that 99.9% of teachers are reasonable when they're made aware of these feelings and they will go above and beyond to try and help whereever they can. Teachers are not mind readers and cannot sense that you are 'terrified' of them and are unwilling to ask for help.

As an alternative, you can approach another teacher who teaches the same subject at your school but i'd be hesitant in doing this just incase your teacher gets the wrong idea. I don't think most would care and would take the view that it's good you're independently seeking help from another source... but you may get that odd one out.

Finally as an additional alternative, I have seen situations where the relationship is fractured and somebody in student management conducts a mediation (different wording probs) where the teacher and student work through any concerns with the aim of repairing the relationship.

(Obviously you can also seek other forms of learning e.g. videos, peers, somebody you do feel comfortable asking etc.. but I feel this is common sense so didn't include it in detail.)

Have you ever voiced these concerns to your teacher (or somebody else) or is this the first time (posting on here)?

And what if you have to wait a century before they reply to their emails, but by that time it's too late?
Again, this attitude I don't like. Let me just address this and say that teachers are not required to respond to emails outside of their school day and outside their 38 hour working week. We already do an absolute ton outside of the regular school time boundaries which you may not be aware of. Like I have stated, a regular teacher who works full time will have 3-4 classes of ~25 students.. if you send an email and don't get a reply within a reasonable time, it is your responsibility if you want the assistance urgently, to go and seek it.

I would assume that your lessons are spread out over the week for a given discipline (perhaps chunked together in 1-2 days even), which still provides ample opportunity to address your questions face-to-face if you were willing to.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 07:09:12 pm by Aaron »

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2019, 07:55:12 pm »
+3
How about asking questions to a teacher who you're terrified of? (Let's just pretend emailing doesn't exist, because real life interaction trumps emailing any day of the week imo) And what if you have to wait a century before they reply to their emails, but by that time it's too late? I know AN is a brilliant place to ask questions, but I really want to harness the expertise of my teachers more. Helping students is what they're paid to do.

Hey, JR_StudyEd!

Aaron beat me to it but I’ll just reiterate some key points. Teachers are more inclined to assist students who show that they are inquisitive and eager to learn. This is because they can see exactly which students are actively trying to make the most out of their education and will want to support them as a result. If you invest in asking for help and respectfully do so, there’s nothing wrong at all with approaching them and being persistent. Emails are definitely flawed communication-wise so it’s best you seek them in person, especially if you urgently need them!

What are you afraid of exactly, if you don’t mind me asking? If you find them intimidating or hard to approach in other ways, just give it a shot once and see how it goes. Often, our fears prevent us from giving ourselves the chance to try at all. They may be less frightening than the image you have of them  :) If you’re having more trouble, that’s where AN can help you further  8) As you’ve said, we have a great network of learners and there are plenty of people happy to help you out, whether it be with school work itself or with your teacher  :) Hope that helps!

Angelina  :D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

JR_StudyEd

• Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2019, 08:49:40 pm »
+1
Have you ever voiced these concerns to your teacher (or somebody else) or is this the first time (posting on here)?

Don't know if I'm going off on too much of a tangent here, but let me give you a bit more context. I apologise in advance for all this talk about Maths Methods and am not generalising or prejudicing on the subject (or other teachers of it) whatsoever.

I've fallen way behind in the subject, and although my first SAC on the subject won't be until June, I don't think I'll be passing it at this rate. During the last week of term, I was just about ready to throw in the towel. I most certainly have voiced my concerns, first to my peers (who then referred me to the school counsellor, which truly warmed my heart), then to the other Methods teacher (who was also head of learning, a.k.a the perfect person to talk to with regards to dropping subjects). I finally built up the courage to email my actual teacher, but have not received a response as yet.

This teacher I write about, it's not like I've never ever talked to them before. I've known them since the start of last year, so I'm more than used to their way of going about it. The thing is, I just don't find them very approachable (unless in extreme circumstances). It's hard to describe.

Thank you Aaron. Honestly, I would have never really thought of it that way, until now. So many students have this 'us against them' mentality with their teachers and it's only really to their detriment. I'm so grateful for your help in altering my perspective! I'll certainly try and have more empathy for my teachers, they deserve it! :)

What are you afraid of exactly, if you don’t mind me asking?
Hi Angelina!
Maybe I'm being 'sucked in' by the opinions of other people in my class, but there's the lingering fear of being judged and 'roasted' for either not knowing the answer to a question, or not answering at all (because we have no idea). They sometimes criticise, and they say they're doing it because they want us to 'do well', but personally I see it as a blow to my self-esteem. No one seems to say much, if at all, which only adds to the tension.

First day back, I'll aim to conquer my fear!

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2019, 09:16:27 pm »
+6

Hi Angelina!
Maybe I'm being 'sucked in' by the opinions of other people in my class, but there's the lingering fear of being judged and 'roasted' for either not knowing the answer to a question, or not answering at all (because we have no idea). They sometimes criticise, and they say they're doing it because they want us to 'do well', but personally I see it as a blow to my self-esteem. No one seems to say much, if at all, which only adds to the tension.

First day back, I'll aim to conquer my fear!

Hey again!

I think it's a reasonable fear to have, considering the culture amongst students being afraid of judgement and being put down. When I teach, I always tell my students that there's no such thing as a dumb question or a bad answer. Posing questions and contributing to discussions are how we learn best; otherwise, you'll never know if you're on the right track or not  :) Confirming your understanding with the teacher's delivery of the content will be helpful for both parties because you can figure out what you might be misinterpreting/needing more information on, and your teacher can gauge the success of their lesson on your learning.

It takes courage to volunteer and ask something because chances are amongst the rest of your classmates, there's at least one other person who also wants to ask that same question. If the teacher criticises you, take it with pride because you've gained something out of it! Yes, it might make you feel slightly embarrassed but at least you have attained new knowledge and can put it to good use for your own benefit  ;D Positive humility is a quality worth having and starting that conversation will slowly ease the rest of your class into the environment too. See it less of a blow to your self-esteem and more as another step towards self-improvement in your studies. Good luck with conquering it and do let us know how it goes  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

JR_StudyEd

• Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2019, 01:32:44 pm »
If the teacher criticises you, take it with pride because you've gained something out of it! Yes, it might make you feel slightly embarrassed but at least you have attained new knowledge and can put it to good use for your own benefit  ;D Positive humility is a quality worth having and starting that conversation will slowly ease the rest of your class into the environment too. See it less of a blow to your self-esteem and more as another step towards self-improvement in your studies. Good luck with conquering it and do let us know how it goes  ;D

I know honest criticism from a teacher is important in order to improve, but honestly, all it does is discourage me and make me doubt my ability. Especially when the criticism is constant (like you know you will be judged if you say the wrong answer, but it's the only answer you can think of so what can you do?).

Another question; how can I ensure that when I ask for help, I can actually get the help I desire? For example, when I asked my Methods teacher for help coping with the anxiety I was experiencing about maths, they said they could not help me because it wasn't about maths. That really discouraged me from asking more questions. What are the important things to keep in mind when asking for help?

And also, how should I go about asking for help from classmates, especially ones I know who are 'good' in the subject?

Weirdo

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2019, 12:59:56 pm »
Hi guys,

I've just been afraid to ask a couple of questions in regards to VCE study scores. I know SAC marks can't just determine the Raw Study Score for the subject, but what do you guys think I should be aiming for with these types of marks.

Biology:
SAC 1: 86%
SAC 2: 75%

Chemistry:
SAC 1: 84%
SAC 2: 56%

Physics:
SAC 1: 62%
SAC 2: 42%
SAC 3: 65%

If someone has already done these subjects last year and got their Study Scores, can they please tell me what marks they got for their Sac's? Only if they are comfortable in doing so.

My aim for my Raw Study Scores are: Chemistry: 34, Biology: 40, Physics: 28.

Is my aim possible or achievable?

Thanks.