Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 16, 2024, 04:50:15 pm

Author Topic: Moderation?????  (Read 870 times)

soriya

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Moderation?????
« on: October 27, 2019, 11:12:41 am »
So just for some background, I go to a 300 ranked school where my cohort in standard 2 maths is average, but not great. We get about 3-4 band 6s every year.

So I did relatively well in the HSC exam (calculated my marks and got about a 95), but here's the dilemma: my rank is number 8! Now considering that the 8th highest mark is most likely a low band 5 bc my cohort isn't too great, are my chances at securing a b6 like screwed? (since ur hsc mark is an average of your moderated assessment and external exam mark)

Or does NESA take into account the massive gap between my mark and the 8th highest mark and still give me a b6??

If someone could please clear this up for me I would be very appreciative, this unknowingness is driving me nuts XD.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 11:58:13 am by soriya »

_OwO_

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Re: Moderation?????
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2019, 09:45:23 pm »
So just for some background, I go to a 300 ranked school where my cohort in standard 2 maths is average, but not great. We get about 3-4 band 6s every year.

So I did relatively well in the HSC exam (calculated my marks and got about a 95), but here's the dilemma: my rank is number 8! Now considering that the 8th highest mark is most likely a low band 5 bc my cohort isn't too great, are my chances at securing a b6 like screwed? (since ur hsc mark is an average of your moderated assessment and external exam mark)

Or does NESA take into account the massive gap between my mark and the 8th highest mark and still give me a b6??

If someone could please clear this up for me I would be very appreciative, this unknowingness is driving me nuts XD.

Hey soriya!
wow, that is a big school!
I don't fully understand this moderation thing but I think because the HSC is your external mark + ranked mark, you should be able to get into that band 6 range.
You never know, your school may have done well in the exams which means rank 8 could be a higher mark than you expect. Furthermore, if people from your school got higher than you, your marks can get dragged up.
HOWEVER, If the exam was easier and a lot of people got higher marks people may be scaled down (but I don't think your mark will be affected).
Sorry, but there are just too many variables to say for sure!
All we can do now is hope and pray for dem good marks!

Goodluck for the HSC and remember Bands and Atars are not everything!