Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:44:23 am

Author Topic: UoM General Chat  (Read 4767519 times)  Share 

simpak

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +376
Re: UoM General Chat
« Reply #300 on: November 11, 2011, 03:30:47 pm »
He sounds equally as peeved.

UGHHHH NOOOO, they want to grant my Penn Biology subject as an equivalent to Biochem and Molecular Biology.  This is bad right?  The exemption holds for a major prerequisite only, right?  Not for grad study, eg med?  Would have to be approved externally because it's not on the list?  Or because it's exempt credit, will it be counted literally /as/ BCMB20002 for the med prereqs?
2009 ENTER: 99.05
2014: BSci Hons (Microbiology/Immunology) at UoM
2015+: PhD (Immunology) at UoM

Slumdawg

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +65
« Reply #301 on: November 11, 2011, 04:14:41 pm »
Haha probably cos we thought it'd be funnier if we contacted Dawn first :P He started the email with "Dawn sent me your complaint", obviously not impressed that we dobbed him into his superior. But ah well, at least we annoyed him just like he annoyed us! :D
2010 ATAR: 98.35 - Psychology [50] Media Studies [47
2011-'13: Bachelor of Biomedicine [Neuroscience Major] at Melbourne Uni 
2014-'17: Doctor of Medicine (MD) at Melbourne Uni 

username

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • !
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #302 on: November 11, 2011, 07:55:20 pm »
+2
Haha probably cos we thought it'd be funnier if we contacted Dawn first :P He started the email with "Dawn sent me your complaint", obviously not impressed that we dobbed him into his superior. But ah well, at least we annoyed him just like he annoyed us! :D

Rob day was horrible to me in first and second year. He actually semi-yelled at me once too. Spent the last second year zoology lecture telling us we should all drop out.

I wish I could have seen his stupid face when he graded my awesome exam essay on platyhelminthes.

Slumdawg

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #303 on: November 11, 2011, 08:35:49 pm »
That sounds horrible! I agree completely though, he's a nasty person as well as a horrible exam writer/lecturer..So many people wanted to know what other subjects he taught so we could avoid them if possible. What second year subject did he lecture for you btw? (I'll have to avoid it like the plague if I can! Haha) 

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +661
« Reply #304 on: November 11, 2011, 09:06:12 pm »
*not getting drawn on the Rob Day issue*

Would have to be approved externally because it's not on the list?

It'll need to be approved by the faculty, but I don't think you'll have a problem with that...

simpak

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #305 on: November 11, 2011, 10:53:54 pm »
Would have to be approved externally because it's not on the list?

It'll need to be approved by the faculty, but I don't think you'll have a problem with that...

Parslow was like 'no it is entirely equivalent' when I emailed him back and asked.  I'm just paranoiiiid that something to do with it would go wrong.

Pros taking Biochem overseas: Not having to take every prereq next semester.
Cons taking Biochem overseas: Not being able to do cellular neurobiology because it is 18.75 credit points and there is no subject for 6.5 credit points, and also being paranoid it won't be accepted as a prereq.

WHAT DO.

username

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • !
« Reply #306 on: November 12, 2011, 12:03:15 am »
+2
That sounds horrible! I agree completely though, he's a nasty person as well as a horrible exam writer/lecturer..So many people wanted to know what other subjects he taught so we could avoid them if possible. What second year subject did he lecture for you btw? (I'll have to avoid it like the plague if I can! Haha) 

He also did 'Australia Flora and Fauna' (abalone life cycle.....) and 'Animal Physiology'.

In one of the pracs we had to draw pictures of skulls etc. He circled the whole page of drawings and wrote 'What IS THIS?'

simpak

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #307 on: November 12, 2011, 12:43:58 am »
Lol you studied the life cycle of an abalone?
...Zoology...

username

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • !
« Reply #308 on: November 12, 2011, 08:29:21 am »
+1
Ah crap. I meant to say 'Comparative Animal Structure and Function', not 'Animal Physiology'.

He's the coordinator for the second year zoology subject.

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +661
« Reply #309 on: November 12, 2011, 08:58:13 am »
He circled the whole page of drawings and wrote 'What IS THIS?'

He reminds me of David Tribe a little

Slumdawg

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #310 on: November 12, 2011, 09:36:46 am »
Ah crap. I meant to say 'Comparative Animal Structure and Function', not 'Animal Physiology'.

Oh really? I was considering doing that actually cos Laura Parry is the coordinator and she's probably the best lecturer we've had all year. Might have to avoid it then :P Thanks for letting me know! :)

username

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • !
« Reply #311 on: November 12, 2011, 11:29:57 am »
+1

Oh really? I was considering doing that actually cos Laura Parry is the coordinator and she's probably the best lecturer we've had all year. Might have to avoid it then :P Thanks for letting me know! :)

If Rday isn't the coordinator for Animal Structure and Function, I would recommend doing it since it's pretty easy. But there's also a giant chunk of lectures on fish which were mind numbingly boring.

When I did Animal Physiology Laura Parry was the coordinator. She's so lovely. She goes to every effort to make sure everyone is happy and thanks you for asking questions as though you just saved her life. Also, they teach you how to write reports with statistics and stuff which help a lot in third year.

simpak

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #312 on: November 12, 2011, 12:15:23 pm »
Chem 2 people - who feels that they can aid me and my poor mathematical ability on a question I have now come across TWICE in the practice exams?  I know the answer, I just have no idea how to do the question and my calculator goes crazii.

dc302

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +53
  • School: Melbourne High School
  • School Grad Year: 2009
« Reply #313 on: November 12, 2011, 12:58:44 pm »
Chem 2 people - who feels that they can aid me and my poor mathematical ability on a question I have now come across TWICE in the practice exams?  I know the answer, I just have no idea how to do the question and my calculator goes crazii.

There was maths in Chem 2? I don't even remember... All I remember was how I couldn't remember any of the organic chem by the time I went into the exam and was pissed at myself for not starting to study earlier.. Even though I loved organic chem in chem1...don't know what happen. :o
2012-2015 - Doctor of Medicine (MD) @ UniMelb
2010-2011 - Bachelor of Science (BSc) majoring in Pure Mathematics @ UniMelb
2009 - VCE [99.70] -- Eng [43] - Methods [44] - Chem [44] - JapSL [45] - Spesh [45] - MUEP Jap [5.5]

simpak

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #314 on: November 12, 2011, 01:16:56 pm »
Organic and Inorganic chem are the only parts I can do.  There's not really any maths, it's just a ratio thing and I get really confused with ratios!