Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 01:18:25 am

Author Topic: Tips for HHD if you're interested :)  (Read 5347 times)  Share 

Fishyiscool

• Custom1
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +21
  • School: I shouldnt say.
  • School Grad Year: 2012
Tips for HHD if you're interested :)
« on: January 30, 2012, 04:18:15 pm »
+13
mehhh i didn't do mindblowingly well, but I did work hard and I thought I'd share these tips with anyone who needed guidance for health 2012!
okay here are my tips:

1. Refer to your teachers. In hhd, they can be very specific about certain wording or terminology. Be prepared to write pages and pages and realise you're completely off track sometimes - it happened to me a lot at the start. This is why you need to consult your teachers a lot at the start - get them to check your responses and tell you what you can do to write succinctly and clearly. In the exam, they give you a certain amount of lines so get used to sticking to that limit. Especially later on in the year when it comes to interrelationships, you will find yourself writing soooo much that you may not need to include. In the end of the year exam, you can lose marks if you go over the space and haven't gotten to the heart of the poiint you're trying to get across.

2. Do checkpoints throughout the year, especially before sacs. There aren't  a  whole lot of resources for HHD, but checkpoints is an excellent tool. Once you've answered a question, check it against the answer at the back of Checkpoints and aim to get as many keyterms as they have included into your own response. The closer you can write to model answers, the better off you will be.

3. End of each week, try to get your summaries done! Maximise holiday time and in between term holidays, you should aim to get ahead. The summer holidays (like now), this is the hardest because you may find you might be on the complete wrong foot. After you are starting to get a hang of how to interpret questions, you can start practicing your skills and applying them to new concepts in the term holidays.

4. Make posters and visual aids and stick them in places you will see them. MY teacher said toilet door, but that didn't work for me really. :P I tried study room wall and that worked well because when I get distracted while studying, I'd just look up at it. Things I made posters for were: WHO regions, nutrient tables, mind maps of concepts such as ottowa charter and mortality stratum (which I colour coded). I might put up my WHO regions poster onto the notes section soon, if you want to refer to it. If I can get my scanner to work. Also, while making these posters, remember to actively try to imprint the information in your head instead of relying on simply looking at it after you're done.

5. Get the study design and learn the key terminology off it! Things such as BOD, HALE, LE, health status, human development should be eeeeasy marks. All you have to do is parrot it off and you get a mark! These definitions may be simplified in textbook, so refer to the study design to avoid losing marks for leaving out key terms in the definition. I know my textbook simplified burden of disease a bit too far.

6. Practice papers! I know there aren't many around but ask your teacher for some. Do the ones on VCAA. I think there's no harm in doing them twice to get 100% the second time. I didn't have that many, so I repeated most of mine and it only improved my knowledge. Use the answers at the back of practice papers as guidance on how to answer the question.

7. Go to revision lectures before the exam. They give good notes that you might  use to complete your own notes at the end of the year if you feel like you're running out of time. Unit 4 is pretty rushed so if you are struggling to make notes, you can refer to the more concise versions that revision lectures will give you. Dont expect to learn an entire course in a revision lecture - they tend to give tips like this and try to build your confidence.
At the back of revision lecture notes, most often they give a set of practice questions. USE THIS AS A PRACTICE EXAM and do it under timed conditions if you feel like you don't have many practice exams.

8. I don't think this will work for everyone but I like to tabulate as much of my notes as I can. It helps to collect your thoughts and see where things can link in to each other. Mind maps are also really good, but don't waste too much time writing them. You might be better off doing more exam practice questions.

9. When everyone else is not giving a stuff about health, you should be working extra hard! most people end up slacking off after a few sacs, but if you keep at it, you're sure to get good results. since so many people do it, there is a greater probability of being able to score in the 40s if you work hard.

10. Study hard from the moment you start a new chapter, not straight before the sac! In all honesty, the week of my exam, I played piano and I didn't study - because I knew it would stress me out if I studied more. If you've already locked stuff into your memory weeks before, there is no need to excessively stress yourself out straight before the assessment.

11. Once you get SACs back, look at these and see to what improvement you can make. Ask your teacher for feedback and try your hardest to adjust. Health is very precise with answers, you don't want to loose easy marks by arguing that you're right. Yeah, you probably are right in your logic but VCAA doesn't care; they want things their way.

12. Don't get the Ottowa charter confused with the social model of health - understand the two seperately. The ottowa charter for health promotion is an example of the social model of health at work.
Ottowa charter - bad cats smell dead rats;
Building healthy public policy
Create supportive enviros
Strengthen comm action
Develop personal skill
Reorient health services
Social model of health - AREAS
Addressing broader determinants of health
Reducing social inequalities
Empowering individuals and communities
Access to healthcare
S... (i forgot LOL).

13. DON'T STRESS ABOUT CRAP SAC MARKS. I spent a loooot of time calculating my unit scores and getting depressed thinking I had no hope for a 35 after I got a C for one of my sacs. IF you do well on the exam (which many people don't bother doing much study for ;O), your sacs can get bumped up amazingly!

Hmm that's all I can think of for now (im surprised I remembered all that coz i haven't thought about it since the exam ^)
Inbox me if you need any help this year! This advice applies to any subject anyway really :D
Hope I helped somewhat?
AIM HIGH. :D
is a reallllyyyy good subject to do as a year 11, because you have a good chance of doing well ;) in my opinion. Because, year 12s tend to slack off in health, which is less important maybe compared to some other subjects.  The content is also very interesting. :) I thought, anyway.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to email me! :) I will try to put my notes up... once I find my usb. :S
Happy enough after one hell of a year.

<3 Life goal: ---->  Prosthetics and Orthotics
2013 - bachelor of health sciences/master of clinical prosthetics and orthotics at La trobe :))

Mi piacerebbe aiutare gli altri studenti che studiano l'italiano quest' anno. Mi mandi un messaggio e possiamo chiacchierare x)

jmosh002

Re: Tips for HHD if you're interested :)
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 06:08:53 pm »
+1
Thanks these sound like really good tips!

Fishyiscool

• Custom1
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 08:29:36 pm »
No worries feel free to pm me if you want anything :) (well lets hope I haven't forgotten by then though....)

2013 - bachelor of health sciences/master of clinical prosthetics and orthotics at La trobe :))

Mi piacerebbe aiutare gli altri studenti che studiano l'italiano quest' anno. Mi mandi un messaggio e possiamo chiacchierare x)

oliverk94

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 09:04:34 pm »
+2
Thanks for the tips tisa they are really helpful even though I'm not doing HHD. :)

Fishyiscool

• Custom1
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 09:14:08 pm »
+1
Thanks for the tips tisa they are really helpful even though I'm not doing HHD. :)

LOL I know they are a little generic xD sorry mehehe

observer7

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +6
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 08:27:36 pm »
Nice tips, good read
Finished in 2011. Business 50. ATAR 96