Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:42:46 am

Author Topic: Auslan News  (Read 4801 times)  Share 

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
Auslan News
« on: July 12, 2019, 09:57:39 pm »
+16
Thought this would be a thread where I (and others interested in Auslan) could share news about the language, specifically about having it taught more widely. I know that it is being introduced in more and more primary schools and I found this article quite interesting.

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
Re: Auslan News
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2019, 06:33:21 pm »
+7
Watched this clip on ABC kids and thought it was super cute.

But in regards to news, I was reading an article about youth parliament and thought that this article belonged in this thread. Just a short read that touches on Auslan, but is also relevant to many as students.

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2019, 09:42:31 pm »
+5
Thought that this was cute.

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2019, 04:50:35 pm »
+8
Marymede Catholic College is putting on a production of The Lion King and incorporating Auslan.

I also thought this article about what it is like for an Auslan interpreter was quite interesting and gave some insight into deaf culture.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 04:53:01 pm by laura_ »

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2019, 06:29:16 pm »
+6
Innovation in using sign language to convey complex scientific concepts. This has been needed for quite some time, and I'm so glad that someone has decided to do something about it. Read more here.

I also found this heartwarming!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 06:31:34 pm by laura_ »

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2019, 07:17:36 pm »
+6
Some lovely stories of inclusion and Auslan becoming more widespread and being shared with the hearing community.

Here is the story of the Canberra Raiders attempting to break the world record for largest public use of sign language with their fans.

A firefighter learns Auslan to ensure that he can deliver a safety presentation to all students. Read about it here.

Signed stories are improving literacy among deaf and HoH children.

Here is an article about Kyle Miers and his thoughts on the new captioned drink holders in cinemas. This is really important!

A "Mainly Music" group using Auslan to help include the families of deaf children as well as allowing deaf children to connect with music.

Another example of inclusion and awareness raising.

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2019, 07:16:26 pm »
+5
Is technology killing sign language and does it matter? Read more here.

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2019, 04:50:40 pm »
+1
Is technology killing sign language and does it matter? Read more here.

“It was invented because IT didn’t exist, and the most important thing is communicating with other people, so the need for signing was there.”

This is interesting. What do you think, laura_?

Love the thread, btw.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2019, 05:11:12 pm »
+4
“It was invented because IT didn’t exist, and the most important thing is communicating with other people, so the need for signing was there.”

This is interesting. What do you think, laura_?
I think that technology can never replace person-to-person interaction. Auslan has become a representation of Deaf culture and for many people who have the option of technology, they still choose to sign, because they enjoy it.

I think that while technology will assist many people, there will always be some for who a hearing aid or cochlear implant does nothing. Encouraging people to give up sign language and use assistive technology will only make it more difficult for people who cannot use that technology to communicate.

Later in the article, it talks about investing in communication technology rather than hearing technology and I can see this as being a happy middle ground and something that would be supported and welcomed by the Deaf community.

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2019, 10:04:17 pm »
+2
There was an Auslan interpreter at the school climate strike today- very pleased! Unfortunately, I was nowhere near close enough to the stage to be able to see anything that was happening.

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2019, 07:28:57 pm »
+1
Although the Auslan is clunky, I love the sentiment behind this. Isn't it great to see politicians trying to raise a little awareness with their platform?

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2019, 01:59:17 pm »
THE 'OK' HAND GESTURE IS NOW A HATE SYMBOL, BUT IT'S ALSO A CRUCIAL PART OF SIGN LANGUAGES

Of course, no one is outright telling sign language communities to change their languages. Beyond the immediate media panic surrounding the alt-right OK, there's still an understanding that context changes meaning.

Thoughts on this article?