Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 08:02:51 am

Author Topic: Student Experiment on Titration  (Read 1339 times)

laurahhh

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Student Experiment on Titration
« on: March 22, 2020, 06:10:44 pm »
I'm currently doing an experiment on titration, I'm identifying the difference between two weak bases (ammonia and sodium carbonate) and how much titrant is used for each to reach neutralisation. I am having trouble to decide what graphs I need to include. I haven't recorded the pH during the experiment, so creating a titration curve is out of the question. However, I calculated the initial pH and the pH at equivalence point. So if anyone has any ideas, it would be great haha.   :D

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: Student Experiment on Titration
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2020, 12:59:58 pm »
Hmm... looking at the assessment criteria, it looks like for top marks you need "appropriate application of algorithms, visual and graphical representations of data about chemical equilibrium systems or oxidation and reduction demonstrated by correct and relevant processing of data "

If constructing a titration curve is out of the question and you had the same number of mols for each, maybe you could do a clustered bar chart or similar to visually show that whether different bases did require different amounts of titrant more so than the uncertainty you experienced within titrants for each base?

You could also potentially calculated initial pH, final pH and use your other calculated values to construct an approximate titration curve.

I'm sure you've thought about this already, but I recommend you talk to your teacher and see if they can provide you / the class with more guidance on what they're looking for.

Good luck :)