Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 01:22:08 am

Author Topic: Public transport discussion  (Read 18347 times)  Share 

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Public transport discussion
« on: November 28, 2019, 09:19:35 pm »
+11
I've noticed that there tends to be a bit of conversation around public transport so here's a dedicated thread. Whether you use your phone, a plastic card, a paper ticket or some other method to navigate public transport feel free to join in with your experiences and thoughts about the marvel that is public transport.

Btw: trains>trams>buses

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
Re: Public transport discussion
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2019, 09:27:54 pm »
+7
I only need to take the bus to most places I go to so bus>trains (very biased). I live in an area where buses come every 5-10 minutes to all the places you can think of so buses are very handy.

Huge fan of the double decker trains in Sydney though. Can't wait for the damn light rail to finish so I can actually use it. Not sure if it will be quicker than buses though.

Always use my wonderful Opal card when using public transport. Always been curious to use my actual debit card because they've implemented that thing this year. I feel like I would get charged the adult rate (since your card obvs doesn't specify if you're a concession or not) so I always have my Opal card to get the concession rates.

Edit: The 'NextThere' app is a godsend (although is useless when the real time data doesn't load- which happens rarely. But nevertheless still a good app)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 09:33:55 pm by beatroot »
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

DrDusk

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +130
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2019, 09:31:58 pm »
+9
I just wanna say Australian Public transport sucks. Now I don't know if this is just Sydney but here we have literally a breakdown/failure every week! Right now the standard one every week is signal failure.

It's not even funny anymore. Even the buses, 4 times the uni express bus broke down midway while I was on it...

fun_jirachi

• MOTM: AUG 18
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • All doom and Gloom.
  • Respect: +710
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2019, 09:33:18 pm »
+9
I've been using buses and trains for the last six years, and while they have their boons, I can say without a doubt that walking is the best mode of transport. Public transport is like that team that comes runners-up every season; you hype it up when there's no delays/accidents for about a week, and then it inevitably lets you down in the endgame. It's just a bit a shame there are no proper contingency plans in place for when a train does break down, since they happen all too often; when trains are stopped and planned, they just move to buses (traffic :( ), when they aren't planned, the whole system goes into meltdown. Anything that's walking distance - just walk :)
Spoiler
HSC 2018: Mod Hist [88] | 2U Maths [98]
HSC 2019: Physics [92] | Chemistry [93] | English Adv [87] | 3U Maths [98] | 4U Maths [97]
ATAR: 99.05

UCAT: 3310 - VR [740] | DM [890] | QR [880] | AR [800]
Guide Links:
Subject Acceleration (2018)
UCAT Question Compilation/FAQ (2020)
Asking good questions

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2019, 11:03:23 pm »
+9
I can see myself posting here everyday for the foreseeable future 😅

My tram out of an event is on time, which means I'll be on the second last train home; this smoothness is making me weary bc it's too smooth and something wrong is going to happen- I feel it in my bones 😅
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2019, 12:06:15 am »
+8
Was on my way home from uni yesterday when my dad called me that there were massive delays because of a fire near the train station before the station I got off. The train I caught didn't mention anything about delays or route changes so I was kinda confused about all this until we passed the station and there were 4 fire trucks right next to the train tracks and a bunch of firefighters still hosing down the already-burnt grass/trees.

It was such a bizarre moment for me.
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

Poet

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
  • Respect: +2790
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2019, 08:54:46 am »
+8
I always use PT to get to work and back - and it's always a surprise when they're on time! My bus is on time perhaps 40% of the time and its lateness ranges from 2-10 minutes. Living in an area where the bus cycle is 40 minutes long, the PTV app's ETA function is the best. Especially when I think I've missed the bus but it's just 10 minutes late haha

Trains are the same. I live along the Hurstbridge line so it's not as bad as, for example, Pakenham or Werribee lines, but there is always a delay by at least a couple of minutes and I don't think the train has been on time to my station in at least a month lol.
Thoughts are only thoughts.
They are not you. You do belong to yourself,
even when your thoughts don't.

Dealing with Year 12 - Put Your Mental Health at the Forefront
A Little Guide to Healthy Eating

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2019, 09:07:37 am »
+8
> gets to bus stop just in time to watch bus leave
> as a result, gets to train station a few minutes after the train I wanted left

To be fair,  this was on me.  The bus left exactly when it was scheduled to. 

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2019, 12:07:02 pm »
+9
Since when were the vline vlocity (for folk not from Vic- Vline's what we call our intercity or regional trains, vlocity is a train type :D ) train seats covered in the purple pizza shapes and orange chicken crimpy shapes patterns?

First time on one that doesn't have the standard plain blue seats 😂
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 12:11:57 pm by insanipi »

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2019, 04:11:06 pm »
+5
Have to get to the con early tomorrow for my AMEB exam. Of course, there's track work on my line :(
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

sarangiya

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • 好きこそものの上手なれ ☆ What one likes, one will do well
  • Respect: +383
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2019, 05:19:09 pm »
+10
In my hometown, buses are once hourly, and the trains to Melbourne are also one in an hour. I didn't find it that inconvenient really but I suppose when you have to catch two buses for an hour-long journey vs. driving for 15 minutes, it's obvious why country folk don't use public transport.

In Melbourne, I love the trams even though they are a bit loose on time. I find that in the day they are frequent enough for it not to be a big deal, but in the evening it can be pretty inconvenient. As for buses I only ever habitually took the 401/402 between North Melbourne, the RMH and Melbourne Uni. It was always on time, roared through the streets like noone's business and never failed me. I love you 401. The metros between Southern Cross, North Melbourne and Footscray were also pretty reliable albeit with some delays. Pretty good.
V-Line is horrible... don't even get me started ... I loved having to sit down in the middle of the aisle next to the bin because they could only have 3 carriages instead of 6 for the peak 6 o'clock service. I also missed work because they couldn't connect the carriages properly as well lol. disGusting.

Huge fan of the double decker trains in Sydney though. Can't wait for the damn light rail to finish so I can actually use it. Not sure if it will be quicker than buses though.
Big feels. I'm always amused when I catch a train in Sydney. Will it sit upstairs or downstairs? So mAnY OpTioNs lmao
I live so close to one of the light rail stops it's not funny. I can't wait to use it but I'm praying it's quicker than the bus. If it's not I'm going to be very hurt and disappointed.
In saying this, I literally hate buses. A train, a team, a ferry, anything is better. In my experience so far, Sydney has good buses but they're still buses and I still hate them. So despite Sydney's superior double-deckers, Opal app (oh, the days before Google Pay for Myki...) and bus frequency, Melbourne has trams and lots of train stations and that's where it's at.
Sometimes you make choices, and sometimes choices make you.

♡ Subjects ♡
2015: Japanese SL [42]
2016: Psychology [43] Philosophy [36] Japanese SL [50] [Premier's Award]
2017: UMEP Further Advanced Japanese [4.5]
2018: Methods [24] English Language [41] Chemistry [31] Psychology [41] Cert III in Allied Health Assistance [4.3]
ATAR: 97.45
2019-2024: Bachelor of Medical Science/Doctor of Medicine @ UNSW

Sarangiya's 사랑하는 VCE Journal
Is Repeating a VCE Subject Worth It?

Calebark

• biscuits of disappointment
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +2741
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2019, 05:21:12 pm »
+10
train bad
🐢A turtle has flippers and a tortoise has clubs🐢

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2019, 05:48:40 pm »
+1
train bad
what'd said train do now? 😂

Poet

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
  • Respect: +2790
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2019, 10:12:14 am »
+5
I have been
On PT
For 2 and a half hours
And I'm not even at my destination yet
Someone pls help
They didn't announce these bus replacements
And I get buS siCk
Thoughts are only thoughts.
They are not you. You do belong to yourself,
even when your thoughts don't.

Dealing with Year 12 - Put Your Mental Health at the Forefront
A Little Guide to Healthy Eating

brothanathan

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2019, 10:36:16 am »
+1
What's everyone's opinions on high speed rail? As in if it was fully-fledged in Straya?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 11:00:43 am by brothanathan »