Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 10:47:07 pm

Author Topic: English Language or Literature?  (Read 680 times)  Share 

Skye_Taylor

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
English Language or Literature?
« on: July 08, 2020, 02:22:02 pm »
Hi everyone,
I'm currently in Year 10 and have to choose subjects for VCE very soon! I am loving English, and it has always been one of my strong suits. Therefore, I am considering taking two English subjects.

I am definitely going to do mainstream English, however am tossing between English Language and English Literature. If possible, could someone give a brief overview of the subjects and what they entail? I know literature is a lot more text based and focuses on the analysis of text, whereas I am not so sure about English Language.

Which subject would you recommend partaking? Thanks heaps for your help!

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
Re: English Language or Literature?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2020, 05:35:23 pm »
+2
I realise you’ve already asked a similar question on another board, but wanted to reiterate that you should take the English you think you will like better.

If you’re not quite sure what each entail, I would highly suggest going through the study designs (English Language and Literature) and the dedicated boards here on the forum: here for Literature and here for English Language.

Each has different ways of expressing things and focuses on different aspects.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

Skye_Taylor

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2020, 06:50:59 pm »
Each has different ways of expressing things and focuses on different aspects.

Will be sure to do so. Thank you!

schoolstudent115

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2020, 06:10:54 pm »
+1
Hi everyone,
I'm currently in Year 10 and have to choose subjects for VCE very soon! I am loving English, and it has always been one of my strong suits. Therefore, I am considering taking two English subjects.

I am definitely going to do mainstream English, however am tossing between English Language and English Literature. If possible, could someone give a brief overview of the subjects and what they entail? I know literature is a lot more text based and focuses on the analysis of text, whereas I am not so sure about English Language.

Which subject would you recommend partaking? Thanks heaps for your help!

I am currently doing English Language, and I know many people doing English Language or Literature.

I can tell you this: Of course doing Literature and English together will entail a solidly large amount of reading outside of school . If you enjoy this a lot and are dedicated to doing it, then choose this.

As for English language, you don't really read much at all outside of school. However, generally, there is a lot of consistent revision of metalanguage. There is so much of it that you really need to be consistent in your study. Much more scientific in the way it works. You learn about types of syntactical structures, for example. Then you need to identify these within a text and identify things like function words (E.g. auxilliary verbs) and content words (e.g. Nouns), and their specific type. Probably won't complement english that well though (just my opinion).
2021: ATAR: 99.95
2022-2024: University of Melbourne, BSci (Major in Mathematics and Statistics)

SarahEve

• Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2020, 09:28:59 pm »
+2
Hi Skye! I am currently in year 10 too, doing 1/2 literature and year 10 english. I do not know much about english language but like another commenter below said, there are no texts involved in el, just articles. Lit on the other hand is so much fun and I would highly recommend it. I have found that just by taking the subject it has boosted my english skills a lot and made me a deeper thinker. The discussions you'll have in literature will challenge your thinking and truly make you much more perceptive. I want to stress that these discussions are a really integral part of lit, so you need to be engage yourself and share your views to the class as well as question other people's views. The essay types that we've done are a close analysis, adaptations and transformations, literary perspectives and we are about to do a creative. I can go into more detail about the essay types if you would like. To make your decision think about whether you want to study english as a language or through analysis. Hope this helps but definitely talk to your teachers!