Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 09:37:03 am

Author Topic: Communal VCE Journey Journal (feel free to participate!)  (Read 183260 times)

zhen

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • The world is a bitter place
  • Respect: +338
Re: VCE Journey Journal (feel free to participate!)
« Reply #345 on: June 27, 2017, 05:15:47 pm »
+4
Congrats! :D What are you going to do to unwind? :)
Watching anime (most people will find it weird), but it's one of the main things I do to unwind. Actually, I just remembered that there should be a new episode of have you been paying attention, which is a show I really like, so I'll probably watch that too.

Quantum44

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +313
« Reply #346 on: June 27, 2017, 06:05:14 pm »
+3
It's been a while since I last posted here. I finished all my SACs for the term  :). Now I'm going to relax for the rest of the day and enjoy a bit of time without worrying about SACs before I start cramming for UMAT and start prepping for unit 4 and exams.

Thats nice, its good to wind down after a stressful term (hopefully term 2 is as bad as it gets). Unfortunately I still have a SAC this week (chemistry poster) so I am cursing the sadist who made week 11 a thing. I feel like everyone is going to cram umat these holidays haha.

Watching anime (most people will find it weird), but it's one of the main things I do to unwind. Actually, I just remembered that there should be a new episode of have you been paying attention, which is a show I really like, so I'll probably watch that too.

Thats cool. I dont personally watch anime but I do binge netflix which is the same thing I guess :)
UAdel MBBS

lilyrosee

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #347 on: June 27, 2017, 07:13:14 pm »
+3
oh my god, i studied ransom last year, malouf's writing is actually so gorgeous. (but basically everyone else hated it, so ... you're not alone if that's how you feel haha.) once you get used to the context, it might be fun? or at least not akin to pulling teeth lmao idk.

what are you studying for lit? (:

I think I will enjoy it when I understand it a bit more! For Lit I am doing A Doll's House, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, The Cat's Table, Dark Roots and Seamus Heaney poetry :)

My school is doing 'year of wonders' and 'the crucible', which are both interesting texts as they are historical fiction and deal with some interesting themes. 'Ransom' and 'invictus' sound interesting, I think 'ransom' is based off the Iliad, which is a great classical text.

Ahhhh I did The Crucible and Year of Wonders last year - I absolutely loved them! Especially 'The Crucible'. They are heaps of points of comparison :)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 07:15:50 pm by lilyrosee »
2016: Psychology
2017: English [47] | Literature | Drama [42] | Media | Australian History [43]
2018 - 2020: Bachelor of Arts @ the University of Melbourne

VCE English Essay Marking $10 per essay or 3 essays for $20 - DM for details

clarke54321

• Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +365
« Reply #348 on: June 27, 2017, 07:20:58 pm »
+3
I'm so relieved that we are in the last week of term 2. Although I have a considerably large amount of study to get through, it will be good to escape the school environment for a while. At this stage of the year, exams are beginning to take up a lot more thought in my mind. I've found that strong organisation has helped me feel more confident and assured, regarding exam prep. I don't if anyone else feels this way, but I honestly have no idea of where I'm sitting in subjects in a study score sense. Obviously SACS provide some indication, but on the whole I feel quite blinded.

I think I will enjoy it when I understand it a bit more! For Lit I am doing A Doll's House, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, The Cat's Table, Dark Roots and Seamus Heaney poetry :)

Ooh... those texts sound really interesting. Which text will you choose for passage analysis? At my school, we're studying North and South for the Perspectives and A Doll's House and Chris Wallace Crabbe poetry for CPA. How are you finding Lit in general? Especially the new Lit Perspectives essay? :)
BA (Linguistics) I University of Melbourne
Tips and Tricks for VCE English [50]

Essay Marking Services in 2021 for VCE English + Essays for Sale

lilyrosee

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #349 on: June 27, 2017, 09:47:41 pm »
+2

Ooh... those texts sound really interesting. Which text will you choose for passage analysis? At my school, we're studying North and South for the Perspectives and A Doll's House and Chris Wallace Crabbe poetry for CPA. How are you finding Lit in general? Especially the new Lit Perspectives essay? :)

We have the choice of either A Doll's House or Cat on a Hot Tin Roof for Lit perspectives and either the Heaney poetry or The Cat's Table for passage analysis. I am leaning towards the poetry as I feel like taking on another novel will be quite a heavy workload when it comes to exam revision as I am doing English as well. As for the Lit perspectives essay, I got 16/20 on the mid-year practice exam for A Doll's House and my teacher is an assessor and quite a harsh marker - so I think it is challenging but manageable if you know the text really well. I have been trying to find some lectures or more resources where they explain the task in more detail but as it is the first year of the study design they are quite difficult to find. Everyone is in the same boat though I guess.
2016: Psychology
2017: English [47] | Literature | Drama [42] | Media | Australian History [43]
2018 - 2020: Bachelor of Arts @ the University of Melbourne

VCE English Essay Marking $10 per essay or 3 essays for $20 - DM for details

patriciarose

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +63
« Reply #350 on: June 27, 2017, 10:15:33 pm »
+3
I don't if anyone else feels this way, but I honestly have no idea of where I'm sitting in subjects in a study score sense. Obviously SACS provide some indication, but on the whole I feel quite blinded.

no i definitely feel this! i know how i'm doing in terms of my cohort, but it's so hard to work out whether other schools mark to the same standard? especially for english subjects because they're so subjective :/ so really i could come out the other end with a 40 or a 20 tbh. at least for lit everybody's struggling through the lit perspectives criteria together though omg (:
SUBJECTS |  English [47], Literature [46], Extension History @LTU [4.5]

ATAR (2017) | 95.95

lyoko

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +51
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #351 on: June 27, 2017, 11:33:22 pm »
+3
My school is doing 'year of wonders' and 'the crucible', which are both interesting texts as they are historical fiction and deal with some interesting themes. 'Ransom' and 'invictus' sound interesting, I think 'ransom' is based off the Iliad, which is a great classical text.

My school is also doing these texts as well. What do you think of the texts so far?

Ahhhh I did The Crucible and Year of Wonders last year - I absolutely loved them! Especially 'The Crucible'. They are heaps of points of comparison :)

:)

S200

• Part of the furniture
  • Yeah well that happened...
  • Respect: +244
« Reply #352 on: June 28, 2017, 12:55:28 am »
+1
0054 hours, 28/06/17
Just handed in a Physics Project, dismally late... :( :-\
RIP me...  :'( :'(

#StopProcrastinating
Carpe Vinum

\(\LaTeX\) - \(e^{\pi i }\)
#ThanksRui! - #Rui\(^2\) - #Jamon10000

5233718311 :D

Calebark

• biscuits of disappointment
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +2741
« Reply #353 on: June 29, 2017, 11:16:19 pm »
+4
29th of June, '17

Finally on holidays! I'm going to celebrate by doing absolutely nothing!

...until Saturday when the study resumes.

(well, I didn't attend this week due to ill health, and didn't attend the week before as we didn't the week after exams. But now it's official)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 11:34:12 pm by Calebark »
🐢A turtle has flippers and a tortoise has clubs🐢

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #354 on: June 30, 2017, 12:43:09 am »
+5
29th of June, '17

The best way to celebrate!

I hope that everyone takes some time away from study these holidays to relax and recharge the batteries :D You have a hard slog coming up with the rest of the year, and you guys have already done so well. Halfway there (or perhaps, actually a bit over halfway)!! Keep up the good effort everyone, and remember that you have everyone on the forum cheering for you and supporting you  ;D

I don't if anyone else feels this way, but I honestly have no idea of where I'm sitting in subjects in a study score sense. Obviously SACS provide some indication, but on the whole I feel quite blinded.
I felt this way last year! Right up until ATARs were released, I didn't really have a single clue about the study scores, or even the ATAR, that I would get, and in a way, I'm glad. Just try your absolute best in your SACs and schoolwork, and then try to ace your exams, and then relax - let the number crunching be done by VCAA/VTAC :) Makes the waiting period between end of exams and ATAR release a lot less stressful (in my opinion), and I found that by knowing I tried my best, I couldn't really be disappointed (or if I could, it would be on a much lower level), because I wasn't comparing what I actually got to what I thought I would get. (Granted, this is just my two cents and what worked for me, it might not work for others :))

Quantum44

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #355 on: June 30, 2017, 05:39:30 pm »
+4
My school is also doing these texts as well. What do you think of the texts so far?

I'm thoroughly enjoying both texts and there are a lot of areas for comparison. Based on my preliminary reading of the texts, I think it's interesting to see how the differences in social structure affect each town's response to adversity. In Eyam, Puritanism is being phased out and a more open interpretation of religion allows the people to cope with the plague and sacrifice themselves to save the other towns. In Salem, strict Puritanism is the dominant religion and is the reason the witch trials. As I said before, I have only scratched the surface with these texts and already comparative interpretations seem to be abundant so I'm very excited to continue studying. I'm interested to hear what you think you as well.

29th of June, '17

...until Saturday when the study resumes.

Ahahaha this is how everyone feels after the brutality of term 2... and then you realise term 3 exists
UAdel MBBS

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #356 on: July 18, 2017, 02:53:25 pm »
+1
How has everybody found the transition back into school? :)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Quantum44

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #357 on: July 18, 2017, 04:20:29 pm »
+3

Not too bad. It feels good knowing that this will be my last full term of school.
UAdel MBBS

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #358 on: July 18, 2017, 04:25:57 pm »
+1
Not too bad. It feels good knowing that this will be my last full term of school.

Yeah? Are you feeling on top of things? :)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

zhen

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • The world is a bitter place
  • Respect: +338
« Reply #359 on: July 18, 2017, 07:00:09 pm »
+3
I feel like I'm the most productive I've been for a while because of the relaxing break I had. I'm pretty pumped to get into this term. :)