Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 17, 2024, 08:56:52 am

Author Topic: Is my Atar screwed?  (Read 3382 times)

Julia L

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Is my Atar screwed?
« on: December 17, 2019, 05:40:25 pm »
Hi,

So I'm in year 12, and recently got my marks back for my subjects. Most of my marks are disappointing, and I was wondering if it will heavily impact my atar, as I need a atar of 95+ for my course. This whole term I've been being lazy and disorganised and I'm scared that because of this I won't be able to reach my desired atar.

My marks and ranks are:
English Adv | 17/20 | rank: 15/50
Chemistry  |16/20 | rank 6/50
Physics | 15/20 | rank 7/40
Maths Extension 1 | 25/25 | rank 1/80
Maths Extension 2 | 16/25 | haven't received a rank yet

Thanks!

Grace0702

• MOTM: OCT 19
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +32
Re: Is my Atar screwed?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2019, 08:59:56 pm »
+9
Hi,

So I'm in year 12, and recently got my marks back for my subjects. Most of my marks are disappointing, and I was wondering if it will heavily impact my atar, as I need a atar of 95+ for my course. This whole term I've been being lazy and disorganised and I'm scared that because of this I won't be able to reach my desired atar.

My marks and ranks are:

Thanks!

Hey Julia!

First off ranks often give a better indication of your performance compared to actual marks, your school may have harder exams compared to others so that could be affecting you. Your ATAR is determined through a mix of your actual HSC exam performance and an assessment mark given to you based off your internal rank. This is a pretty brief summary but if you want to read more you can check out this article https://atarnotes.com/how-does-scaling-work/

You're are just starting off your HSC journey so don't be too worried so far, you have plenty of time to learn content and perfect your knowledge to hopefully improve your internal ranks. With the summer holidays upon us you will have plenty of time to study or catch up on areas where you may have fallen behind. Also keep an eye out as AN will be releasing their January lecture series very soon! These are a great way to get ahead on content!

More importantly just strive for your personal best. My goal in year 12 was to get to the end and know I tried my personal best, that way I knew I would be satisfied with the result no matter the number in front of me. I remember almost failing Advanced maths and crying about it because I thought my chances of a band 6 were over. Then my teacher said "Did you try your best" and I realised I had, I couldn't imagine going better in that exam and realised that I shouldn't be upset with myself. After that exam I continued to put in hard work and ended with a rank of 2/20 in maths and ended up with a HSC mark of 92 (which yes I did get today).

So just strive for your best. Some days will be good, others not so much, but just keep getting up and pushing forward. I most definitely think you can achieve an ATAR of 95 just put in consistent hard work and you will be rewarded!

Good luck with your HSC! ;D
HSC 2019: Advanced Maths 92 || Standard English 89 || Physics 80 || Business Studies
95 || Information Processes and Technology 94 || Studies of Religion 1 45

ATAR: 96.05

2020: B Engineering/B Commerce @USYD

DrDusk

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +130
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2019, 09:13:42 pm »
+2
Hi,

My marks and ranks are:

Thanks!
Basically what grace said above.

However I must say your ranks and marks are looking fine and on road for a 95 atar. Again I'm just basing this off what I see...

Julia L

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2019, 09:15:46 pm »
Hey Julia!

First off ranks often give a better indication of your performance compared to actual marks, your school may have harder exams compared to others so that could be affecting you. Your ATAR is determined through a mix of your actual HSC exam performance and an assessment mark given to you based off your internal rank. This is a pretty brief summary but if you want to read more you can check out this article https://atarnotes.com/how-does-scaling-work/

You're are just starting off your HSC journey so don't be too worried so far, you have plenty of time to learn content and perfect your knowledge to hopefully improve your internal ranks. With the summer holidays upon us you will have plenty of time to study or catch up on areas where you may have fallen behind. Also keep an eye out as AN will be releasing their January lecture series very soon! These are a great way to get ahead on content!

More importantly just strive for your personal best. My goal in year 12 was to get to the end and know I tried my personal best, that way I knew I would be satisfied with the result no matter the number in front of me. I remember almost failing Advanced maths and crying about it because I thought my chances of a band 6 were over. Then my teacher said "Did you try your best" and I realised I had, I couldn't imagine going better in that exam and realised that I shouldn't be upset with myself. After that exam I continued to put in hard work and ended with a rank of 2/20 in maths and ended up with a HSC mark of 92 (which yes I did get today).

So just strive for your best. Some days will be good, others not so much, but just keep getting up and pushing forward. I most definitely think you can achieve an ATAR of 95 just put in consistent hard work and you will be rewarded!

Thank you so much!  :D That motivates me a lot, and I guess I should just keep pushing forward and try.

Grace0702

• MOTM: OCT 19
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +32
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2019, 09:26:05 pm »
+1
Thank you so much!  :D That motivates me a lot, and I guess I should just keep pushing forward and try.

PRECISELY!  ;D I'm glad I could help
HSC 2019: Advanced Maths 92 || Standard English 89 || Physics 80 || Business Studies
95 || Information Processes and Technology 94 || Studies of Religion 1 45

ATAR: 96.05

2020: B Engineering/B Commerce @USYD

david.wang28

• MOTM: MAR 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Always do everything equanimously
  • Respect: +29
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2019, 01:14:51 pm »
+1
Hi,

My marks and ranks are:

Thanks!
Remember that the ATAR is not everything. If you are thinking about UNSW, then they will give you bonus points to boost your selection rank. Also, your marks look fine, and your subjects scale really well. Work hard and you will get into your dream course :)
Selection rank: 95.25

2020-2024: Bachelor of engineering and computer science @ UNSW

tafarax

• Adventurer
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2020, 01:04:11 pm »
Hi,

My marks and ranks are:

Thanks!

There is nothing disappointing about these marks lol. But everyone has different standards I guess

Natasack

• Trailblazer
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2020, 02:24:12 pm »
Hey Julia!

Hi Grace,

I noticed that you just missed out on the band 6 in Standard English, which is a great result. What rank were you internally as well as your school's rank?