Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 11:06:21 pm

Author Topic: What options do you study?-Ancient  (Read 1934 times)  Share 

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
What options do you study?-Ancient
« on: September 03, 2017, 09:42:31 pm »
+5
Hey,
I'm really curious to know what options you study for Ancient and what are the more popular ones on AN :D
I was going to make a poll but realised that there are almost 40 different options that you could study (and I couldn't be bothered typing them all up)!
Also, which option is your favourite and which is your weakest/the one you would like the most help with?

My options
I study Pompeii and Herculaneum (obviously), Sparta, the Julio Claudian emperors and Agrippina. I like them all, but Pompeii was my best in the trials. My weakest/the ones I need to improve are Agrippina (except we still haven't finished the course yet), and Sparta.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 09:46:13 pm by katie,rinos »
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
Re: What options do you study?-Ancient
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 09:49:57 pm »
+3
Hey,
I'm really curious to know what options you study for Ancient and what are the more popular ones on AN :D
I was going to make a poll but realised that there are almost 40 different options that you could study (and I couldn't be bothered typing them all up)!
Also, which option is your favourite and which is your weakest/the one you would like the most help with?

My options
I study Pompeii and Herculaneum (obviously), Sparta, the Julio Claudian emperors and Agrippina. I like them all, but Pompeii was my best in the trials. My weakest/the ones I need to improve are Agrippina (except we still haven't finished the course yet), and Sparta.

i don't do ancient, but people i know who do ancient aren't huge fans of the personality study. the options my school have chosen does make me wish i did ancient though (definitely would not choose ancient over modern though)

my school's options
pompeii/herculaneum, sparta, caesar, fall of the roman republic
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 10:03:43 pm »
+2
Hey,

My options

Not entirely sure if I regret doing Ancient or not. It's quite interesting how we developed as a society and all, but my class puts in 0 effort into the subject, making me loose interest. Think my teacher has lost motivation to teach us because we do nothing. Though I'm really trying my best to put in more effort because I feel bad for my teacher and I want at least a Band 5 for this subject.

ANYWAYS

my options
- Pompeii and Herculaneum ;)
- Sparta
- Xerxes
- Greek World: 500BC-440BC

My favourite topic has to be Pompeii and Herculaneum. But the most ironic thing is, is that this was my lowest section in the trials. Apparently I wasn't answering the questions properly and that my answers were too short. I couldn't ask for more paper because this would mean loosing time for the other sections. My least favourite is Greek World because there's so many sources to remember and there isn't much archaeological evidence. The Greek World and Xerxes tie in perfectly with each other because Greek World: 500BC-440BC is basically all about the Persian wars and Xerxes was involved because he was the Persian king during the time. Sparta at first was interesting but my teacher and my classmates made it so boring and it just kept dragging on. I reckon Pompeii is easy because everyone does it and there's a lot more sources on it.

My Ancient teacher changed the options for the next Ancient students. My class has mentioned so many times that Xerxes and Greek World were boring (I kind of liked Xerxes though). So the next Year 12 Ancient students will be studying Hatshepsut and one of the Ancient Egypt periods.

Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 10:51:24 pm »
+3
i don't do ancient, but people i know who do ancient aren't huge fans of the personality study. the options my school have chosen does make me wish i did ancient though (definitely would not choose ancient over modern though)

my school's options
pompeii/herculaneum, sparta, caesar, fall of the roman republic
I like my personality study-Agrippina's pretty cool/interesting but it's not really my favourite option.Your schools options sound really interesting :).

Not entirely sure if I regret doing Ancient or not. It's quite interesting how we developed as a society and all, but my class puts in 0 effort into the subject, making me loose interest. Think my teacher has lost motivation to teach us because we do nothing. Though I'm really trying my best to put in more effort because I feel bad for my teacher and I want at least a Band 5 for this subject.

ANYWAYS

my options
- Pompeii and Herculaneum ;)
- Sparta
- Xerxes
- Greek World: 500BC-440BC

My favourite topic has to be Pompeii and Herculaneum. But the most ironic thing is, is that this was my lowest section in the trials. Apparently I wasn't answering the questions properly and that my answers were too short. I couldn't ask for more paper because this would mean loosing time for the other sections. My least favourite is Greek World because there's so many sources to remember and there isn't much archaeological evidence. The Greek World and Xerxes tie in perfectly with each other because Greek World: 500BC-440BC is basically all about the Persian wars and Xerxes was involved because he was the Persian king during the time. Sparta at first was interesting but my teacher and my classmates made it so boring and it just kept dragging on. I reckon Pompeii is easy because everyone does it and there's a lot more sources on it.

My Ancient teacher changed the options for the next Ancient students. My class has mentioned so many times that Xerxes and Greek World were boring (I kind of liked Xerxes though). So the next Year 12 Ancient students will be studying Hatshepsut and one of the Ancient Egypt periods.

My class is actually the opposite which is nice. All of the kids who didn't put the effort in or like the class dropped Ancient at the start of year 12. My teacher also tries to make the lessons funny/interesting so that we are able to remember stuff easily. I can understand how annoying it would be if no one puts any effort in (one of my other subjects is like this and it really annoys me). I'm aiming for at least a band 5 as well but I still need a lot of work. For me, the Julio Claudians and Agrippina fit in really nicely as Agrippina was the mother,wife and sister to an emperor. I like Sparta but have found it hard to find archeological sources and forgot almost all of my evidence for my trials. I really like Pompeii and it was also a lot easier then my other options to get evidence for my detail table. I don't really know a lot about Xerxes or the Greek World but they sound interesting although I would also like to learn about Hatshepsut as well.
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2017, 08:36:37 am »
+3
When I was doing the HSC last year we studied Pompeii/Herculaneum, The Julio-Claudians, Agrippina the Younger and Sparta! Thought I'd enjoy Pompeii and Herculaneum the most (was the reason why I picked Ancient History over Chemistry! Best decision ever aha), but that ended up being my least favourite! Not because I didn't enjoy it, but I just enjoyed the other ones so much more! I think the Julio-Claudians was my favourite, though my best section was always Agrippina the Younger. :)
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

Caitlynk_22

• MOTM: DEC 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +238
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2018, 10:39:50 pm »
+1
We are doing:
Pompeii and Herculaneum (Duh)
Athens in the time of Pericles
Julius Caesar
Roman Republic 1st century

We do these because apparently they link together really well but we will have to see about that won't we!
2018 - HSC - My HSC Journal 2018
2019 - Gap Year - Cert 3 @ TAFE My Gap Year Journal
2020 - 2022 B of Design (Architecture) @ UoN My University Journal

dcesaona

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +24
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2018, 10:16:07 am »
+1
I'm doing Pompeii and Herculaneum, Akhenaten (personality study), Sparta and New Kingdom Egypt.

My strongest is Pompeii and Herculaneum and my weakest is everything to do with Egypt, a.k.a half the course (ughhhhhh) I'll have to work harder on those!
2018 HSC