Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:16:35 am

Author Topic: Copy of English Paper 1  (Read 34451 times)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
Copy of English Paper 1
« on: October 15, 2017, 02:00:15 pm »
This thread contains a complete copy of the HSC English Exam (Paper 1) from 2017!!

CLICK HERE TO VIEW THE PAPER!

Click here to discuss and see Emily's analysis!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 03:38:33 pm by jakesilove »

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
Re: Copy of English Paper 1
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 12:17:52 pm »
I’m so keen to see what the questions were! Hoping I don’t prefer them over last year’s otherwise I’ll be kicking myself wishing I went to a normal school that doesn’t do compacted :P

EDIT: Phew! Personally I do prefer the 2016 questions for my texts & pre-written creative so I feel like I made the right choice now haha! Hope everyone did well! From the few creatives I read in the marking formum I think they’d be able to use the stimulus pretty easily which is good! Keen to hear the responses belowwww :)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 12:50:07 pm by paigek3 »
HSC subjects
Advanced English | Extension 1 English | Extension 2 English | Legal Studies | PDHPE | Society and Culture | General 2 Maths

Need HSC tutoring, mentoring or essay marking? I'm offering all of that online! Check out all the offers, pricing and details here https://bandsevenhsctutoring.wordpress.com/blog/ and feel free to get in contact with me if you want any more info :)

Jmmalic220

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 01:06:52 pm »
I was short of creative. Do you think I still have a fighting chance in Paper 2?
Biology + Physics + Chemistry + Engineering Studies + Mathematics + English

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 01:08:56 pm »
Want to know what Emily (2016 1st in the State for Advanced English) would have written for the paper? Join in the discussion HERE.

Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 01:10:18 pm »
I was short of creative. Do you think I still have a fighting chance in Paper 2?

Do you mean you didn't write a creative, or you had to cut it short? Either way - Paper 2 is always a chance to fight for your marks!

blasonduo

• HSC Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Schrodinger waved while Heisenberg didn't?
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 01:13:28 pm »
:D I was right about textual based stimulus for creative :P
2018: UNSW B science (physics)/B education

Kicking myself into gear

HSC Physics Topics 1 & 2 Exam!

oliviamarie

• Adventurer
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2017, 01:16:09 pm »
for the creative when it said "use one of the statements as a central idea" was it required to quote it exactly or just use the concept behind it as a main idea?

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2017, 01:22:38 pm »
for the creative when it said "use one of the statements as a central idea" was it required to quote it exactly or just use the concept behind it as a main idea?

I've just chatted about this with the lecturers. As soon as I saw this question I knew it would be something we discuss on the forums because I think it is a bit ambiguous! Personally, I would not take this to mean you have to explicitly use the quotation as a quote in your work. The key is "central idea" - meaning that I'd take on the essence of the quote and use it as the central IDEA, not as a central QUOTE. So i think if you did not use it as a quote, as I would not have, you will be fine. There is no expectation in that wording that you use it as the full quote - it would have specified that otherwise I believe!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2017, 01:25:03 pm »
The novel extract makes me want to read that novel. A book store called "The Verb To Be" is genius. I LOVE AUXILIARY VERBS. I think I'll read this book!

hobocop

• Adventurer
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2017, 01:26:17 pm »
For the third unseen text, was it a good idea to analysis the accompany image as well as the written text as well?

bernardm

• Adventurer
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2017, 01:26:47 pm »
Do you think only quoting the central theme rather than linking it throughout the entire story would cost many marks?

TheFreeMarketeer

• Trendsetter
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2017, 01:29:28 pm »
Section 1 was by far the hardest for me but only because of the last question. I spent a lot of time thinking about it and only ended up writing a bit, maybe something worth three marks maximum, so that's got me a little down.

Creative was amazing, mine fit perfectly. Essay was pretty eh, I ended up doing a lot of manipulation of the question to fit my points but I do think my analysis was pretty good. Only concern was I was really short of time and only ended up doing a one line conclusion.

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2017, 01:31:02 pm »
Do you think only quoting the central theme rather than linking it throughout the entire story would cost many marks?

As a central idea - I don't think it needs to be linked consistently throughout as a definite way of getting the marks. I think there are different ways of exploring a 'central idea' - so by using it specifically at a very poignant part of the text could be satisfying that 'central idea' aspect!

For the third unseen text, was it a good idea to analysis the accompany image as well as the written text as well?

I think so! We put a textual and visual image combination in the ATAR Notes trial paper as a prediction that this might happen. The way we view texts in our non-classroom life is often a combination of visual and textual features, so I think talking about them in combination allows you a new scope!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2017, 01:32:23 pm »
Section 1 was by far the hardest for me but only because of the last question. I spent a lot of time thinking about it and only ended up writing a bit, maybe something worth three marks maximum, so that's got me a little down.

Creative was amazing, mine fit perfectly. Essay was pretty eh, I ended up doing a lot of manipulation of the question to fit my points but I do think my analysis was pretty good. Only concern was I was really short of time and only ended up doing a one line conclusion.

How did you go about the creative? Did you quote directly or did you just use the essence of the quotations?

blasonduo

• HSC Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Schrodinger waved while Heisenberg didn't?
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2017, 01:48:31 pm »

I agree, the comprehension (surprisingly) was the most difficult by far, the essay question was quite simple and my creative more or less fell into place easily
2018: UNSW B science (physics)/B education

Kicking myself into gear

HSC Physics Topics 1 & 2 Exam!