Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 09:15:30 am

Author Topic: Difference between Science (no Honours) and Science (Honours)  (Read 1646 times)  Share 

Ionic Doc

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +212
Hm... from what I experienced in my own degree (Science) and hear from quite a few others in other faculties, the first semester can be a little boring or really interesting depending on the person. Seems like you got the former, which sucks. Typically things don't become greatly interesting until later on; unfortunately, no degree is spared from having some interesting parts and some boring parts, so sometimes it's okay to feel like you're trudging through mud for a while. For me, the overall degree actually didn't really get interesting until second year, so you're certainly not alone in that aspect. Three weeks at Monash means that you've only really done 1/8th of a year. At this stage, it's actually still really hard to tell if you will properly love the degree you're doing and much of it will be a combination between VCE and new content (because there'll be people who have never done accounting/ business before).

If you're adamant about deferring, I'd recommend you do so before 31st March - the census date for Semester 1, 2019. If you're hoping to transfer next semester, what sort of degree would you prefer to transfer into, may I ask? 

Note: Got beaten by LifeisaConstantStruggle.
Note 2: Try joining the clubs and getting the social aspect of uni life up and running while you have the chance. I found that friends could make all the difference in some units.
what the difference between bachelor of science and bachelor of science (Hons)

MOD EDIT (AW): Figured this would make a better separate topic as this is (relatively) unrelated to the previous conversation. 
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 02:00:22 pm by AngelWings »
2019/2020 - Psychology | Biology | Chemistry | Methods | Further | English
2021 - Science @ Melbourne University

LifeisaConstantStruggle

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +104
Re: Re: Uni advice
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 01:03:03 pm »
+1

As of any other degree honours is an extra year where you do 25% your own research and 75% coursework (usual subjects offered in uni). This might vary slightly between degrees, but it's largely similar.
2018-2020: Bachelor of Actuarial Science (+ Econometrics), Monash
2021: Bachelor of Commerce (Honours), Econometrics & Financial Mathematics, Monash
2022-2023: Work and some soul-searching

Ionic Doc

• Forum Leader
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 01:11:04 pm »
As of any other degree honours is an extra year where you do 25% your own research and 75% coursework (usual subjects offered in uni). This might vary slightly between degrees, but it's largely similar.
nicee
im a bit curious but what to people research on at Uni
like what r u doin research on??

LifeisaConstantStruggle

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +104
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2019, 01:24:52 pm »
nicee

Not doing science so I can't really answer for research in science (perhaps AngelWings can help you with that :)). But I'm doing comm (with a lot of maths) and in honours year we can basically do whatever research topic we want, typically within our capabilities, knowledge and interest. I have a friend who did his research last year on improving human resource management with new recommendations on what sort of qualities a company should be looking for in a typical corporate employee. That's all I know about his research hahaha he definitely got deeper into things though. A lot of people do analysis on poverty in developing countries as well, which constitutes to their research so it's a cool year overall and definitely beneficial if you're interested in working in research, but that usually comes to you in uni.
2018-2020: Bachelor of Actuarial Science (+ Econometrics), Monash
2021: Bachelor of Commerce (Honours), Econometrics & Financial Mathematics, Monash
2022-2023: Work and some soul-searching

Ionic Doc

• Forum Leader
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 01:54:48 pm »
Not doing science so I can't really answer for research in science (perhaps AngelWings can help you with that :)). But I'm doing comm (with a lot of maths) and in honours year we can basically do whatever research topic we want, typically within our capabilities, knowledge and interest. I have a friend who did his research last year on improving human resource management with new recommendations on what sort of qualities a company should be looking for in a typical corporate employee. That's all I know about his research hahaha he definitely got deeper into things though. A lot of people do analysis on poverty in developing countries as well, which constitutes to their research so it's a cool year overall and definitely beneficial if you're interested in working in research, but that usually comes to you in uni.
that's actually sick
finally school and learning becomes fun at some point.
don't get me wrong I enjoy high school (a bit)
but I can't wait to go to Uni ...I might even try out for that Honour program  ;D

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
Re: Difference between Science (no Honours) and Science (Honours)
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2019, 03:01:51 pm »
+2
In short, basically means you tack on a 4th year of research on to your degree (i.e. you do your 3 years of undergrad like all other Science students and then you do Honours after). It's considered to still be undergraduate and it's great if you're considering research/ academia for a career or a myriad of other reasons. To enter, you have to achieve certain grades at uni, which vary depending on faculty, and you'll need to figure out who to do it with (i.e. pick a supervisor and talk to them) early into your final semester. PM me if you want to talk about the technicalities e.g. cost, opportunities, current state of research, etc..

perhaps AngelWings can help you with that :)
I heard my name, so here I am! :)

Basically, Honours in general is a 4th year you can take (this may or may not be included in your degree, depending on what you applied back in Year 12). As stated above, it's really a lot about research and honing skills. Most of the time, it's composed of two parts: (a) your research project and (b) coursework (which includes assignments and little bits and pieces to ensure you actually have general research skills). Some are proportioned like as LifeisaConstantStruggle states here:
In my degree and faculty (as Science is so broad; I did mine with the School of Biological Sciences at Monash), it's actually proportioned the other way around: 75% research and 25% coursework.

The research project is generally an individual thing (i.e. my classmate's Honours research project will differ from mine) and will be affected by several factors:
- It's in the area of your faculty (i.e. you can't pick a project on Chemistry if you've never studied it) and generally follows the area of what you majored in before Honours (e.g. I majored in genetics, so I did a genetics-y research project).
- It's usually within the research area of your supervisor(s).
- It's whatever you and/or your supervisor(s) pick. Some supervisors will have some general ideas planned and you might be able to pick from those. Some students may have something in mind and talk to their favourite supervisor (typically a lecturer or research lab head) to see if they can brainstorm a way to fit into said supervisors' area, the student's ideas and a level-appropriate Honours project. Generally this means you'll have some interest in said project.

As I said above, it's very much individual. My own experiences can be found on my university journal. In short, my own research was on chromosomal evolution in species that use asexual and sexual reproduction. What this means is that I was trying to answer "How does the way a species that reproduces via combinations of parthenogenesis (a form of asexual reproduction) and sexual reproduction change how genes evolve within a population?" by using a bunch of models and simulations. I was a bit of an oddball, having the only theoretical project in my cohort.

In general, you won't be hoping to cure cancer through your Honours project, but definitely will be making a little progress in your own little niche area. Nonetheless, it is fascinating to know that you, your supervisor and probably their research group/ lab are the first to know of any results you obtain. I will put this one giant caveat here: Honours isn't easy. There's a lot of hard work, mistakes and tireless nights that you'll be working hard to finish things before a deadline or get things up to a stage that it's somewhat presentable. If you're not ready to put in the blood, sweat and tears, then Honours isn't for you. Simple as that. However, if you are, then it's very self-gratifying and rewarding - not just because you did it, but also the opportunities it presents with it. Personally, I made the most close friends through Honours and the result has certainly fulfilled my expectations (and maybe even more).

Either way, 10/10 would recommend, but would depend on the person and their interests.

Feel free to ask any more general questions on Honours. If it's personal or want to ask for my personal opinions, please send me a PM.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 04:58:23 pm by AngelWings »
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread