Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 01:35:54 pm

Author Topic: Can I still do medicine without bio or chem?  (Read 2117 times)  Share 

Tatlidil

• Forum Regular
  • Math is Life
  • Respect: +1
Can I still do medicine without bio or chem?
« on: March 10, 2019, 11:00:29 am »
So this year I am doing English, spesh, physics, methods and psych. I'm not doing biology or chemistry, but I've done units 1 and 2 for chem. Is it still possible for me to do medicine in uni? I also heard there's this UMAT/UCAT thing I have to do as well. Is there still a way to get into med? I don't mind if it takes longer than others.

cookiedream

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +410
Re: Can I still do medicine without bio or chem?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 11:06:58 am »
+2
So this year I am doing English, spesh, physics, methods and psych. I'm not doing biology or chemistry, but I've done units 1 and 2 for chem. Is it still possible for me to do medicine in uni? I also heard there's this UMAT/UCAT thing I have to do as well. Is there still a way to get into med? I don't mind if it takes longer than others.

Completing Units 3/4 Chemistry is a pre-requisite for a number of universities, such as Monash University and James Cook University. However, in other interstate universities, it isn't a pre-requisite so you can still apply to them. These include: UNSW, UoN/UNCLE, WSU, UWA, Griffith and Flinders.

Yes, from 2019 onwards, the undergraduate medicine admission test will be the UCAT, which will replace the previous UMAT. You can find out more information about it here.
VCE: (click the links below to view my guides)
2016: Methods [44], Psych [48]
2017: Bio [50], Eng Lang, Chem, Spec
ATAR: 99.75 | UMAT: 88th
2018-2022: Bachelor of Medical Science/Doctor of Medicine @ Monash University

! No longer offering tutoring !

Tatlidil

• Forum Regular
  • Math is Life
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2019, 12:08:06 pm »
Completing Units 3/4 Chemistry is a pre-requisite for a number of universities, such as Monash University and James Cook University. However, in other interstate universities, it isn't a pre-requisite so you can still apply to them. These include: UNSW, UoN/UNCLE, WSU, UWA, Griffith and Flinders.

Yes, from 2019 onwards, the undergraduate medicine admission test will be the UCAT, which will replace the previous UMAT. You can find out more information about it here.
So what would i need to do if i wanted to get in monash? Do yr 12 again but with just chemistry?

Lear

• MOTM: JUL 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2019, 03:26:14 pm »
That is not advisable. Spending a whole year on a subject and hoping to get into a course which provides with you with a very small chance of getting in is not a good idea in my view. Best to get started in Uni and apply as a non-standard interstate or go for postgrad med.
2018: ATAR: 99.35
Subjects
English: 44
Methods: 43
Further Maths: 50
Chemistry: 46
Legal: 40
2019: Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine @ Monash

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2019, 09:00:37 pm »
+1
That is not advisable. Spending a whole year on a subject and hoping to get into a course which provides with you with a very small chance of getting in is not a good idea in my view. Best to get started in Uni and apply as a non-standard interstate or go for postgrad med.

Very strongly agree with this. Some postgrad universities don't require any prerequisites (deakin for example), so you'd be better going along those lines.
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd