Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 03:39:42 pm

Author Topic: Chem practicals  (Read 639 times)  Share 

hannguyen832

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Chem practicals
« on: February 28, 2019, 04:03:06 pm »
I have my first chem practical on my first day at uni on Monday and I don't know what to expect  :-\ pracs do contribute to your scores right? since it's the first day do we still go in do the prac and write up our reports on the spot without any help?? Or do they take you through introductions and the whole process slowly? Also do they go through how to write prac reports? I'm a bit worried about it cause i dont remember what i did in high school 😅
Also they want us to have A4 duplicate notebooks but I can only find smaller ones at the officeworks around the city and theyre out of stock at COOP. I just bought a smaller one, can I use that or does it HAVE to be A4?

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
Re: Chem practicals
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2019, 04:58:05 pm »
+2
Your first session is usually mostly a safety and hazards (OH&S/ lab safety) class - making sure you know what to do if an emergency happens, if you break equipment and stuff. Since you said Coop, I'm assuming Melbourne Uni or La Trobe Chem - I think they do similar things (it's usually similar elsewhere); they wouldn't rush you straight into a big lab immediately after starting classes. At Monash, you'd be treated to a classic Chem safety video, not sure if it's the same at Melbourne or elsewhere.

Re: Usual Practicals. After the safety session, they usually build up slow and steady as they're aware people have forgotten stuff and some may not have done Chem in high school. You'll get some help and a fair bit of instruction from TAs (teaching associates, or lab teachers/ helpers) in your first semester, and likely won't have to write up a full practical report until later on or will be prompted in the first couple or so pracs.   

Re: Books. I don't know if they're strict elsewhere, but they recommended A4 with the odd person bringing in A5 notebooks at Monash. It wasn't overly heavily reinforced, but the majority still brought A4 books because some TAs were a little picky. Basically, should be OK with A5 if you can explain to them your scenario if asked and try to get A4 at a later date if possible. If they're not picky at all, then A5s might just do for the whole semester.   
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread