Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 04:32:41 am

Author Topic: Waiting For Superman  (Read 6189 times)  Share 

sam.utute

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Connecturer.
  • Respect: +46
Re: Waiting For Superman
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2010, 02:52:59 pm »
lol sammy its a joke, the sports academy only makes the school academically worse, there is no benefit behind its existence besides saying that rowville has a sports academy lol.

I dont know why a man of your caliber went to rowville anyways, you woulda smashed up a 99+ at a decent school
Because I'm too lazy to travel anywhere. Heck, that's the reason I didn't put the University of Melbourne as one of my preferences; it's too far lol. Good ol' Monash is only 15 mins away :).

What I want to ask that is our country's educational system as flawed? Are we doing enough to provide an educational system that ensures that our population is properly educated.

This. We need more money to suburban and rural/regional government schools and less funding to the already rich inner-city private schools. Only more/fairer distribution of funds can ensure our country is better educated in the future.
I go to rowville secondary, ranked 430th out of 480 schools, but i still don't see what the government could fund us with?
I think we have a few rooms in our school without airconditioning or heating.. but its' not like we're missing tables, have power cuts or something.
The school isn't anything fancy - but we have more than the basic needs, it's the students and parents attitudes that need to change. Although, the government could fund schools with guards to patrol the vicinity of the school to catch out any 'waggers'.
Too many students want to get away from school ASAP and start earning $$, dropping out in year 10, or just wanting to 'pass' their vce (idk what they even mean..? >30 ATAR maybe)
And i don't think you can say 'the education system is failing us, we have lame teachers who don't really have a vocation for teaching', you could just as easily say that about those adamant students who never show up to class or don't do the work. The legal system is failing us, our health care is failing us, our government is failing us.. it's not the way to go about things.

Thinking about it now, though, I think perhaps the government could fund students in getting tutors or something..
Seriously, you may as well say we live in a failed world then

... yes, but who's influencing students into wanting to leave so early, and not wanting to be in school? And who's job is it to motivate students to be in school, and to show them that education is the right way to go in life?
Changing the mindset of students won't be as simple as giving them funding for tutors. It'll be pointless as long as students don't want to learn.

QuantumJG

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Applied Mathematics Student at UoM
  • Respect: +82
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2010, 11:52:53 am »
One problem I have with our system is that we start to tell students "it's okay to fail" from y10 because there are "pathways" anyway. At our school, this meant everyone relied on said "pathways" rather than aiming for 80+ with some effort.

This, definitely.

There's way too much emphasis for students these days to understand that it's okay not to excel academically. We're told everyday that not everyone is 'book smart', and it's perfectly fine not too do well when it comes to studying. It makes me sad going to a school were less than 25% of students understand where or how a study score/ATAR is made, and 10% have visualised academic goals.

Well it's basically our society being caught up in being PC. One thing I hated was the fact that at my school up until year 11, you were a nerd if you wanted to do well.

What I want to ask that is our country's educational system as flawed? Are we doing enough to provide an educational system that ensures that our population is properly educated.

This. We need more money to suburban and rural/regional government schools and less funding to the already rich inner-city private schools. Only more/fairer distribution of funds can ensure our country is better educated in the future.
I go to rowville secondary, ranked 430th out of 480 schools, but i still don't see what the government could fund us with?
I think we have a few rooms in our school without airconditioning or heating.. but its' not like we're missing tables, have power cuts or something.
The school isn't anything fancy - but we have more than the basic needs, it's the students and parents attitudes that need to change. Although, the government could fund schools with guards to patrol the vicinity of the school to catch out any 'waggers'.
Too many students want to get away from school ASAP and start earning $$, dropping out in year 10, or just wanting to 'pass' their vce (idk what they even mean..? >30 ATAR maybe) And i don't think you can say 'the education system is failing us, we have lame teachers who don't really have a vocation for teaching', you could just as easily say that about those adamant students who never show up to class or don't do the work. The legal system is failing us, our health care is failing us, our government is failing us.. it's not the way to go about things.

Thinking about it now, though, I think perhaps the government could fund students in getting tutors or something..
Seriously, you may as well say we live in a failed world then

Lol passing VCE to me was getting an ENTER sufficient enough to get into science. Basically if I got >85 I considered myself to have failed myself.
2008: Finished VCE

2009 - 2011: Bachelor of Science (Mathematical Physics)

2012 - 2014: Master of Science (Applied Mathematics/Mathematical Physics)

2016 - 2018: Master of Engineering (Civil)

Semester 1:[/b] Engineering Mechanics, Fluid Mechanics, Engineering Risk Analysis, Sustainable Infrastructure Engineering

Semester 2:[/b] Earth Processes for Engineering, Engineering Materials, Structural Theory and Design, Systems Modelling and Design

Cianyx

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2010, 12:45:23 am »
The education system itself is a failed product on the Industrial era. There are teachers who are genuinely willing to teach and students who are genuinely willing to learn. However, due to the nature of the education system, both passions are quick to be extinguished.

I recommend a read of this link. Even if for the first 7 or 8 paragraphs. It phrases out eloquently what I meant to say.
http://punkerslut.com/books/arealeducation/chapter1.html

soniat

• Non-Student
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2011, 07:51:07 pm »
Know we are the real super mans.........