Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 11:17:08 am

Author Topic: The Odyssey of VCE :)  (Read 18005 times)

tigerclouds

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +27
Re: The Odyssey of VCE :)
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2019, 07:05:45 pm »
+1
That sounds like fun (the having a dig at antivaxxers, not the sac) How did it go? ;D
It was good! I had already written a draft so I just ended up memorising and writing that. Oooooh, should I post my piece here?

ArtyDreams

• MOTM: Jan 20
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Fly against the wind. Not with it.
  • Respect: +599
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2019, 09:42:33 pm »
+1
Monday Oct 28:

Methods: And...... we're back again. So it turns out that result I was really happy with was an outlier. I did the 2017 VCAA exam 1 today and got a 24/40. Damn it. I was really enjoying that confidence boost. But hey, I heard that it was a nasty exam so.... At least it's still higher than a 22. It's ok though, we're gonna get back into the 80% range. I promise. I took the day off school today so I can do some more work on methods. I ended up completing 2 exams: the one I just spoke about and an exam 2 and I actually ended up getting my highest score yet on an exam 2 which was quite exciting. But yeah, I was hoping to get 3 exams done but I spend so bloody long correcting and making sure I get it. That's a good thing though right? Quality over quantity (though I really want the quantity)
Just for reference, I'm aiming for above a 30 ss and above a 35 would be amazing!

English: I have a point of view SAC tmrw in the form of a letter of the editor. I'm writing about anti-vaxxers. It's been fun having a go at them. I haven't finalised my piece yet and it's 10:55 pm. Very characteristic of me. Should probably go do that...

Till next time!

youve got this.

yes, it is so much better to make sure that your getting the most out of doing the practice exams. I honestly feel like I've been doing it for the sake of it at this point - I think just keep going at the pace that is most comfortable to you!

tigerclouds

• Trendsetter
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2019, 10:10:46 pm »
youve got this.

yes, it is so much better to make sure that your getting the most out of doing the practice exams. I honestly feel like I've been doing it for the sake of it at this point - I think just keep going at the pace that is most comfortable to you!
Thank you! I'm trying not to give up lol

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2019, 05:12:17 pm »
It was good! I had already written a draft so I just ended up memorising and writing that. Oooooh, should I post my piece here?
Yes, yes, yes!!

tigerclouds

• Trendsetter
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2019, 05:48:51 pm »
+3
Yes, yes, yes!!

Enjoy 8)
No Jab, No Sway: they’ve gone astray
Have a seat. Let’s see what’s on the news. Perhaps we can get an update on the climate change strike or see if the wars in the Middle East have calmed. Instead, what’s on Channel 7? Meryl Dorey, a notorious anti-vaxxer, preaching about how all vaccines are contaminated and calling parents whose child had died from a vaccine-preventable disease “whining liars”. What a sight to behold!

This is only a microcosm of the beliefs anti-vaxxers follow religiously. Another famous one is the misconception that vaccines cause autism. Time and time again, science has proven this theory to be blatantly wrong. Studies in Denmark involving over 500,000 children have proven that vaccinated children are no more likely than unvaccinated children to develop autism. You can’t dispute scientific facts. Furthermore, the article that first suggested this link between autism and vaccines was retracted and the ‘doctor’ who published it was declared a fraud and lost his medical license. Still, one uninformed article and the whole world goes into a frenzy. Can it get any more 21st century than this?

Now, I get that anti-vaxxers are all for that alternative lifestyle but vaccines aren’t deodorant, you can’t substitute them for essential oils.

Diseases can spread like wildfire in crowded environments like schools and small towns. Take the New South Wales town of Mullumbimby as an example, where “only 52 per cent of five-year-olds … were fully immunised in 2015-2016, compared with 92.9 per cent nationally”. This town actually belongs to a region that initiated the 2009 whooping cough outbreak in Australia. Shock.

Australia is to be commended for its efforts in raising vaccinations rates by enforcing the “No Jab, No Play” policy in 2015. This policy banned unvaccinated children from attending school and cut off welfare payments from families who choose not to vaccinate their children. Whilst this is a great initiative as it essentially forces people to vaccinate, it’s still very restrictive. What about the wealthy non-vaxxers who don’t need any welfare payments? We need a solution that applies to everyone and we need it now, not when a pandemic emerges.

We have officially reached a point where we have to beg people to worry about their health.

They’ve missed the shot on this one.

Geoo

• MOTM: DEC 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
  • Respect: +685
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2019, 08:01:22 pm »
+1
Haha, good on you!
I get so railed up about anti vaxers, and as someone who does know one in real life.......

Plus what they seem to ignore, is all these "chemicals" in these vaccines are found in natural elements of our life, like formaldehyde is also found in apples....
As someone who is a but on the compromised immune system side, vaccines are really important for herd immunity to protect so many vulnerable people, it just pisses me off.
2020: VCE 93.2
2022: BSci/Arts (Chemistry/Pharmacology and French)@Monash

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2019, 08:05:52 pm »
+1
Enjoy 8)
No Jab, No Sway: they’ve gone astray
Have a seat. Let’s see what’s on the news. Perhaps we can get an update on the climate change strike or see if the wars in the Middle East have calmed. Instead, what’s on Channel 7? Meryl Dorey, a notorious anti-vaxxer, preaching about how all vaccines are contaminated and calling parents whose child had died from a vaccine-preventable disease “whining liars”. What a sight to behold!

This is only a microcosm of the beliefs anti-vaxxers follow religiously. Another famous one is the misconception that vaccines cause autism. Time and time again, science has proven this theory to be blatantly wrong. Studies in Denmark involving over 500,000 children have proven that vaccinated children are no more likely than unvaccinated children to develop autism. You can’t dispute scientific facts. Furthermore, the article that first suggested this link between autism and vaccines was retracted and the ‘doctor’ who published it was declared a fraud and lost his medical license. Still, one uninformed article and the whole world goes into a frenzy. Can it get any more 21st century than this?

Now, I get that anti-vaxxers are all for that alternative lifestyle but vaccines aren’t deodorant, you can’t substitute them for essential oils.

Diseases can spread like wildfire in crowded environments like schools and small towns. Take the New South Wales town of Mullumbimby as an example, where “only 52 per cent of five-year-olds … were fully immunised in 2015-2016, compared with 92.9 per cent nationally”. This town actually belongs to a region that initiated the 2009 whooping cough outbreak in Australia. Shock.

Australia is to be commended for its efforts in raising vaccinations rates by enforcing the “No Jab, No Play” policy in 2015. This policy banned unvaccinated children from attending school and cut off welfare payments from families who choose not to vaccinate their children. Whilst this is a great initiative as it essentially forces people to vaccinate, it’s still very restrictive. What about the wealthy non-vaxxers who don’t need any welfare payments? We need a solution that applies to everyone and we need it now, not when a pandemic emerges.

We have officially reached a point where we have to beg people to worry about their health.

They’ve missed the shot on this one.

Highly engaging read but I'm not sure what the purpose of your speech is, which may cost you marks.

tigerclouds

• Trendsetter
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2019, 08:20:39 pm »
Haha, good on you!
I get so railed up about anti vaxers, and as someone who does know one in real life.......

Plus what they seem to ignore, is all these "chemicals" in these vaccines are found in natural elements of our life, like formaldehyde is also found in apples....
As someone who is a but on the compromised immune system side, vaccines are really important for herd immunity to protect so many vulnerable people, it just pisses me off.
Tell me about it ::) They have no facts to base their arguments on.

Highly engaging read but I'm not sure what the purpose of your speech is, which may cost you marks.
What do you mean? We just need to outline our point of view on an issue persuasively.

tigerclouds

• Trendsetter
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2019, 08:17:18 am »
Bloody hate Methods. (It’s gonna be so funny looking back at my mood swings lol). Seriously tho, no matter how many exams I do and how many unfamiliar questions that I learn to understand, those last few pages of the exam always throw me off. It’s something different every time. How on earth can people just know what to do?! I want to understand it, I really do but I just can’t make the connections I’m required to. You know what, let’s focus on the positive. I’ve grown to like and be pretty good at probability (it just makes sense!) and I’ve been able to apply some associations that I learned to make from other questions, I’m getting better with composite functions. Multiple choice I do pretty ok in. It’s just those last questions.
You know what, it’s fine. Maths is definitely my weakest subject, I love my other ones and I’m just so excited to just finish Methods and go back to focusing on subjects that I love and make sense to me.

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2019, 08:29:15 am »
+1
Tell me about it ::) They have no facts to base their arguments on.
What do you mean? We just need to outline our point of view on an issue persuasively.

I could break my question down into two questions:
- who is your audience?
- what do you want them to change as a result of your speech?  (I.e. what are you persuading them of)

I dare say your audience isn't anti-vaxxers since you alienate them from the start,  so who is it?

Are you trying to convince your audience to support vaccines in general, to support no jab no play,  to support mandatory vaccinations for everyone?  To mistrust anti-vaxers?

You don't have to explicitly state this but your contention should be clear throughout your speech.

Maybe this isn't something you need to worry about at your year level but I'd check the assessment criteria to be sure.

ArtyDreams

• MOTM: Jan 20
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Fly against the wind. Not with it.
  • Respect: +599
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2019, 09:21:47 am »
+1
Bloody hate Methods. (It’s gonna be so funny looking back at my mood swings lol). Seriously tho, no matter how many exams I do and how many unfamiliar questions that I learn to understand, those last few pages of the exam always throw me off. It’s something different every time. How on earth can people just know what to do?! I want to understand it, I really do but I just can’t make the connections I’m required to. You know what, let’s focus on the positive. I’ve grown to like and be pretty good at probability (it just makes sense!) and I’ve been able to apply some associations that I learned to make from other questions, I’m getting better with composite functions. Multiple choice I do pretty ok in. It’s just those last questions.
You know what, it’s fine. Maths is definitely my weakest subject, I love my other ones and I’m just so excited to just finish Methods and go back to focusing on subjects that I love and make sense to me.
It will all be over in 5 days - youre nearly there!! I guess if youre realllyyyy thrown off with the last few questions, and struggle really badly with them, just try and do the first half of the paper as BEST as you can. The majority of people will struggle with the last few, so dont stress toooo much.

Also, I've grown to like probability too ha ha.

Anyway, best of luck next week. I'm like you too - I cant wait to finish methods so I can concentrate on my other subjects which I love so much more!

tigerclouds

• Trendsetter
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2019, 02:12:36 pm »
+1
I could break my question down into two questions:
- who is your audience?
- what do you want them to change as a result of your speech?  (I.e. what are you persuading them of)

I dare say your audience isn't anti-vaxxers since you alienate them from the start,  so who is it?

Are you trying to convince your audience to support vaccines in general, to support no jab no play,  to support mandatory vaccinations for everyone?  To mistrust anti-vaxers?

You don't have to explicitly state this but your contention should be clear throughout your speech.

Maybe this isn't something you need to worry about at your year level but I'd check the assessment criteria to be sure.
Oh ok, yeah I didn’t really take that into consideration because there was no mention of it in the criteria. Regardless, it’s still important, so I’ll keep it in mind for future tasks. Thank you :)
It will all be over in 5 days - youre nearly there!! I guess if youre realllyyyy thrown off with the last few questions, and struggle really badly with them, just try and do the first half of the paper as BEST as you can. The majority of people will struggle with the last few, so dont stress toooo much.

Also, I've grown to like probability too ha ha.

Anyway, best of luck next week. I'm like you too - I cant wait to finish methods so I can concentrate on my other subjects which I love so much more!

Yeah we’re so close! Good luck to you too :)

tigerclouds

• Trendsetter
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2019, 02:32:54 pm »
+3
Sunday Nov 3:

Methods: 3 days. You know what, right at this second, I feel ok. I’m going through practice exams, their solutions, learning some CAS tricks. My marks have drastically increased from what I was getting at the start. So that’s good. The questions at the end are not necessarily getting easier but they seem manageable.

Other subjects: Pretty good! I handed in all 3 SDIs for Psych, Bio and Chem. So glad I was able to finish them before the long weekend. I also had a Legal Remedies SAC. Haha. A joke. No one was prepared for it but it turned out a tad better than expected (based on how I felt, haven’t gotten marks yet). I like that Legal SACs tend to be predictable.

Evolio

• MOTM: MAY 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +485
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2019, 06:24:06 pm »
+1
My marks have drastically increased from what I was getting at the start. So that’s good
That's great, tigerclouds! That's really motivating to see!
Best of luck for Tuesday and Wednesday! I know you're going to do amazing!  ;D

tigerclouds

• Trendsetter
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2019, 06:38:03 pm »
+1
That's great, tigerclouds! That's really motivating to see!
Best of luck for Tuesday and Wednesday! I know you're going to do amazing!  ;D

Aw thank you so much! It means a lot  :) How are you feeling about it?