Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:25:47 am

Author Topic: English Advanced Question Thread  (Read 1231780 times)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: English Advanced Question Thread
« Reply #1935 on: May 23, 2017, 11:53:34 am »
Hi all,

What does everyone believe to be integral for a Module C essay, Does anyone have like a checklist of integral elements

Hey! You should give this guide a read! ;D

Sukakadonkadonk

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1936 on: May 23, 2017, 12:47:51 pm »
Hey! I reckon do quotes and techniques - Those are the two big things you need to remember to be able to present powerful analysis. You can put ideas/contextual stuff too if you want it, but the quotes and techniques should be first imo :)

Thanks for answer!

Do you know any clever formats to write it in? Or are basic bullet points sufficient.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1937 on: May 23, 2017, 02:18:42 pm »
Thanks for answer!

Do you know any clever formats to write it in? Or are basic bullet points sufficient.

I'd think bullet points would be sufficient! You could use like flow diagrams or charts though - Space isn't a factor at 200 words so you can use pretty much any visual cues you wanted to make it easier to interpret (as long as your teacher allows of course) :)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #1938 on: May 23, 2017, 07:06:44 pm »
Follow up on my previous question, I had about bringing quotes into our class assessment. Our teacher adjusted the criteria, now we are allowed to bring in 200 words of quotes and/or notes into the assessment task.
What would be the best way to plan this 200 words out?
Thanks.

I had a task like this, but it was for modern history, where we were allowed 200 words of notes. If you think it would benefit you, ask if you can visually organise your notes or if it just has to be wordprocessed. I find it really beneficial to plan things out in a visual way, kind of like I have done here (except obviously in far less words and in a less-polished way).
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

Jyrgal

• Trailblazer
« Reply #1939 on: May 23, 2017, 08:12:40 pm »
hello! just wondering for in terms of mod B essays, should I adapt my topic sentences (that sum up my body paragraphs) to address the question in an unseen exam? or should i link back through how the text itself answers Q in terms of my specific themes/concepts

thanks  :)

marcusgrahamm

• Forum Regular
  • --
« Reply #1940 on: May 23, 2017, 08:16:16 pm »
How many words do you suggest each essay should be in the module paper?

Mine are all approximately 1200... do you think I would be capable of effectively finishing all that in the 2 hours?!

Thanks
Business Studies-89

Legal Studies-93

Modern History-93

Society And Culture-93

Advanced English-93

Ext 1 Eng- 42

ATAR: 96.95

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #1941 on: May 23, 2017, 09:22:45 pm »
hello! just wondering for in terms of mod B essays, should I adapt my topic sentences (that sum up my body paragraphs) to address the question in an unseen exam? or should i link back through how the text itself answers Q in terms of my specific themes/concepts

thanks  :)

Hey there!
You will likely need to adapt your body paragraph topic sentences to address the question! But, it is MOST important that you change your analysis to suit the question. You might be able to use your topic sentence but then have to add a little, or subtract a little, or manipulate it a little. But, the analysis makes the most of your essay so if it does not address the question directly, then I fear you will lose marks!

How many words do you suggest each essay should be in the module paper?

Mine are all approximately 1200... do you think I would be capable of effectively finishing all that in the 2 hours?!

Thanks

Most students sit in the 800-1000 words region in my experience. In saying this, my Module A essay was 1200 words, and my Module B and C were very similar, so it absolutely can be done!

julies

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #1942 on: May 24, 2017, 03:27:14 pm »
Hello :) Studying Hamlet for Mod B (unfortunately)
What is Shakespeare saying about revenge? I know revenge is seen as a bad thing because of the mess that Hamlet creates, but doesn't fortinbras' ability to restore order to Denmark contradict that....?
And also how does Laertes fit into it....

Any help appreciated, thanks in advance!

scienceislife

• Adventurer
« Reply #1943 on: May 24, 2017, 06:27:08 pm »
For a take home essay would I be right in writing with the basic intro, three body point and conclusion structure?

anotherworld2b

• Forum Leader
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #1944 on: May 24, 2017, 07:29:41 pm »
Hi I was wondering if anyone had a comprehensive list of generic conventions for different genres

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #1945 on: May 25, 2017, 01:51:14 am »
For a take home essay would I be right in writing with the basic intro, three body point and conclusion structure?

Yeah, I think so! Obviously the content of your essay adapts to your essay question and your manipulation of the structure inside the paragraphs adjusts to the module requirement :)

Hi I was wondering if anyone had a comprehensive list of generic conventions for different genres

Hey! Unfortunately we haven't got this. "Generic Conventions" for genre isn't really something we see in the HSC as a focus. I'm curious, a generic convention for a genre, is it like: mystery genres will always include an enigma and a key, or several keys? And a Western will use iconography of various Western objects. Is this right?

anotherworld2b

• Forum Leader
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #1946 on: May 25, 2017, 09:53:32 am »
Yes that's right. I just thought it wouldn't hurt to ask if anyone did
I was always wondering does anyone know how to write a blog? is there a particular structure ?

Mod Edit: Post merge :)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 10:53:31 am by jamonwindeyer »

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #1947 on: May 25, 2017, 05:59:04 pm »
Yes that's right. I just thought it wouldn't hurt to ask if anyone did
I was always wondering does anyone know how to write a blog? is there a particular structure ?

I'm not so sure about this! When I blog, I make sure there is a clear understanding of the audience. The rest is more or less stream-of-consciousness, with some organisation. So subtitles work to organise content, perhaps images are included, and the work is organised, yet personal. Or, so I think!

Jyrgal

• Trailblazer
« Reply #1948 on: May 25, 2017, 06:00:45 pm »
Hey! In terms of essay-writing, if the question includes a stimulus that pinpoints a certain section of the text, how exactly do we incorporate the stimulus into our essay? Is it advisable to integrate the scene to the body paragraphs so the essay pivots around that scene or simply mentioning it somewhere in the intro and how it shows ur themes is enough.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1949 on: May 25, 2017, 07:42:50 pm »
Hey! In terms of essay-writing, if the question includes a stimulus that pinpoints a certain section of the text, how exactly do we incorporate the stimulus into our essay? Is it advisable to integrate the scene to the body paragraphs so the essay pivots around that scene or simply mentioning it somewhere in the intro and how it shows ur themes is enough.

Hey! You'd definitely want to use the excerpt in every body paragraph - Doing it just in the introduction wouldn't quite show them that you understand it in the required detail :)