Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 08:08:15 am

Author Topic: GAT Questions and Discussion  (Read 128947 times)

Mariamnourine

• Forum Regular
  • Be a voice, not an Echo
  • Respect: +13
Re: GAT Questions and Discussion
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2017, 08:16:31 pm »
+1
Thanks everyone for the continuous support!!! really appreciated!!  ;)
2017: TT, Psychology, Further, English, BusMan

2018 : Nursing [Clinical leadership] /midwifery @ Deakin

You can't always win, but don't be afraid to fail.

S200

• Part of the furniture
  • Yeah well that happened...
  • Respect: +244
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2017, 08:27:40 pm »
Are these an ideal way to structure each essay to score very well?

Essay 1: Group the information into subheadings (basically regurgitating the information but in an organised way) -- should we write this essay in a creative way? E.g., a tour guide telling tourists the information
Essay 2: A persuasive speech

I'm especially still quite confused about just what we're expected to do for the first essay  :o

You'd probably get a higher score if you got creative...
one of the marking points is that it has to sound and look logical, or, how intelligently you put it across...
so yeah..
creative will get you a good score if you get it right.
Carpe Vinum

\(\LaTeX\) - \(e^{\pi i }\)
#ThanksRui! - #Rui\(^2\) - #Jamon10000

5233718311 :D

TheAspiringDoc

« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2017, 08:45:48 pm »
+3
TIP for persuasive: mention and then rebut potential counterarguments

ardria

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2017, 08:55:24 pm »
TIP for persuasive: mention and then rebut potential counterarguments

Should this be done in their own paragraphs, or attached to paragraphs of your points?

S200

• Part of the furniture
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2017, 09:07:21 pm »
+1
Should this be done in their own paragraphs, or attached to paragraphs of your points?
Your arguments and rebuttals should be separate paragraphs for clarity I think...
Could be wrong tho...  :-\
I does make easier reading ;).
Carpe Vinum

atar.notes.user

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2017, 09:35:24 pm »
Hey guys, I just want to confirm, if I take a more creative approach towards writing task 1, do I need to explain before the task what I am doing (for eg: taking a persona or what form of writing). Thanks!! :))

Our english teacher said ~ 600 words...
I guess just how much you can write in 30 minutes...
oh wow, our teacher said 250ish words for each task is enough... :/

S200

• Part of the furniture
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2017, 09:44:51 pm »
Well Atar.Notes.User, I think what the assessors are looking for is that you get the general gist and theme of the prompts.
I think K888 got it right on page 2... ;)  :D

Probably aim for a few hundred, but really you can get an ace mark writing a small or large amount, as long as you get your point across/address the topic. I scored very well in my written section both years and think I wrote maybe 1.5-2 pages per piece. I just didn't have anything more to say, and got to the point quickly with my pieces so never saw the point in writing more :)
Don't spend too long - probably ~30-35 mins per piece (or longer, depending how much time you want for MC), which will give you plenty of time to do MC - I finished about 15-20 mins early both years.
Carpe Vinum

Raph! Raph!!

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2017, 09:50:41 pm »
+1
Just a few simple (or maybe a stupid :( )questions, just to clarify things, eventhough that the GAT's tomorrow...
1.) Do we usually study for it? or practice?
2.) What if I failed to answer (maybe) half of the questions that're specifically about the questions/topics relating to my subjects? Will those marks affect my Study Score on a certain subject? or will it affect on my ATAR?
3.) What if you get a higher marks for humanities, eventhough you're not doing one, and you actually got much lower marks to those subjects that you're actually like in a science and maths subjects?

S200

• Part of the furniture
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2017, 10:50:32 pm »
+1
Hey Ralph...
Sorry, didn't catch this one when it was posted. Hoping you check back before the morrow. :)
2.) What if I failed to answer (maybe) half of the questions that're specifically about the questions/topics relating to my subjects? Will those marks affect my Study Score on a certain subject? or will it affect on my ATAR?
3.) What if you get a higher marks for humanities, eventhough you're not doing one, and you actually got much lower marks to those subjects that you're actually like in a science and maths subjects?
1.) Our school isn't exactly standard, but we had our free periods taken over by GAT prep, once every week.
It isn't actually necessary to practise, as there should be enough info in the question for you to have a darn good go at answering it...
The main thing to worry about,imo, is the writing tasks, as I think that would be the hardest for me, but every1 is different.

2.) If this concerns you, maybe spend more time on the MC. To be fair though, there is 3 hours to do it in... If you do get stuck on a question, skip it and come back. Each individual question isn't worth wasting a lot of time on. I'm not sure that there is any great affect on any of your subjects... there are others on these forums that have answered similar, and they would be better qualified than me, as tomorrow is my first SAC. It is a General achievement test, so it shouldn't massively impact one subject, unless you happen to miss that subjects End of year test.

3.) I'm not really sure what happens, if anything, if you're good in a subject you're not taking. The GAT is only used to moderate the classwork when something goes wrong and you physically can't take the exam, or somehow else bum out on it. Then they take your classwork on teh left, your GAT on the right, do a HogWartz spell, throw them both into the air, and whichever doesn't come down, they go by that...

Carpe Vinum

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2017, 10:59:30 pm »
+2
Just a few simple (or maybe a stupid :( )questions, just to clarify things, eventhough that the GAT's tomorrow...
1. No. Just no. No need to study. The only thing that might be of use is going onto the VCAA website and looking at past GATs to see what the structure of the assessment is like. But it's impossible to study for - it's not like it's a SAC or anything!
2. You won't fail to answer them. You have plenty of time to finish the GAT :) And it isn't relevant unless you apply for a derived exam score, aka a DES (i.e. if you miss an exam or are sick during one, etc.). Apart from that, it basically plays no role in how your study scores are formed
3. Good question. You'll generally find though, that you will score higher in the subjects that you're more proficient at (and these tend to be subjects you're doing, too) - i.e. if you're doing lots of maths subjects, you'll more than likely perform better in the maths section. Remember, the GAT is basically testing your natural proficiency for this sort of stuff. And I'm not 100% certain, but pretty sure that if you do apply for a DES they will look at your whole GAT score, not just one section.

You'll be fine! The GAT isn't a test to get into NASA or anything. It's designed to be done by VCE students, so just remember that when it comes to doing it :)

Hey guys, I just want to confirm, if I take a more creative approach towards writing task 1, do I need to explain before the task what I am doing (for eg: taking a persona or what form of writing). Thanks!! :))
oh wow, our teacher said 250ish words for each task is enough... :/
Nah, no need to say what you're gonna do. It should be pretty clear in the way you write your piece anyway. But definitely no need to do a statement of intention or anything, just get straight into writing :)

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2017, 10:16:24 am »
+1
Woo, well done all for getting through the GAT! ;D

How was it? Did you finish all sections? Could you sneak in the GATchphrase? ;)

Debrief here!

(To post, you'll first need to register an account.)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2017, 10:22:28 am »
+2
Woo, well done all for getting through the GAT! ;D

How was it? Did you finish all sections? Could you sneak in the GATchphrase? ;)

Debrief here!

(To post, you'll first need to register an account.)
Getting in early with the congratulatory post, I see :P

I second that though, congrats on getting through it folks. I hope that VCAA tried to be even more relevant to the youth of today by including something even more modern than Kanye West.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 10:24:40 am by K888 »

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2017, 12:54:14 pm »
+4
Holy crap, I just remembered this... I haven't thought of it in years, but when I saw people talking about using a particular word in their GAT it reminded me of the Great Pen Drop of 2012.

Basically, my school had quite a moderately large cohort taking the GAT so we sat it in the school gym. The night before, I was on ATAR Notes talking shit, y'know, as you do (what's changed 5 years later?), and I think someone either suggested the idea of a pen drop, or it popped into my head. So I frantically start messaging everyone I have on Facebook "Hey help me organise a pen drop" basically, to mixed reactions. Some "what the fuck, Brenden", some "haha okayyyyy don't hurt me tho". Anyway, hard to generate a sizeable coalition on Facebook. So the next morning, before the gym opens up and the teachers usher us in, virtually everyone sitting the GAT that day is just milling about outside.

So I'm running up to random strangers and really emphatically saying "Hi, there is a pen drop today. At 12pm ON THE DOT, drop your pen off the side of the desk. And tell your friends. SERIOUSLY. WATCH THE CLOCK. When you see it's 11.50am, keep it in mind. MAKE SURE YOU DROP YOUR PEN".

I think people thought I was pretty weird, but I told them with such conviction they just assumed that it was a guaranteed, locked in thing, but realistically, it was 4 minutes of frenzied organisation.

Sure enough, at 12pm on the dot, this one "gangster" kid who didn't really study that much but who was good for a laugh, literally turns in his seat, looks at me, turns back to his desk, picks up like 3 pens and fucking throws them at the ground. I shit you not. His pens made a completely isolated sound and then BANG, in unison, a good 50% of the room just swept their pens off the right hand side of their desk.

It sounded like a goddamn Officeworks truck falling over, and that moment of glory felt like an infinity. The look on the face of the poor old invigilators.

If only I had a photo.
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2017, 01:16:41 pm »
+1
You truly are a menace, Brenden. :-\

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Karapl13

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2017, 04:01:46 pm »
Hello

I'm in year 11 and am doing a 3/4 subject (legal studies). I did the gat exam today and am very worried about my results as I don't think I did too well on it.  How much does this gat exam actually effect my atar?

Thanks
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 04:18:14 pm by Aaron »