Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 12:19:59 pm

Author Topic: JMSS essay  (Read 797 times)  Share 

heyguys98

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
JMSS essay
« on: February 11, 2020, 12:18:56 pm »
hello everyone!
i just needed some help with writing components of the jmss exam. i know that there is going to be a prac and an essay. just wondering, do u guys remember any of the past prompts that were given? and also is there a specific website that u think may be useful which has some scientific prompts, especially for the pracs?
also what are some things u recommend i should study for the writing parts?
some help would be very much appreciated. 

SanchaTheSeeker

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +10
Re: JMSS essay
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2020, 06:47:54 pm »
Hey!

Last year for the prac piece we had to write a discussion on the topic of "what material is the best insulator." On the information sheet there was a method, diagram of the setup, and results. There were guiding questions however you were expected to write a paragraph and address those questions in that paragraph. It wasn't really an 'essay.' I can't really find the exact prac on google but the basic idea was there was 3 styrofoam cups with water and a thermometer. The top of the cups were covered in cling wrap and each cup was covered in a different material such as foil etc. At certain time intervals, the temperature of the water was recorded.
For the second essay we got information on fish deaths in the Murray Darling Basin, and had to write an essay on that.

Prac report preparation: Take a look at the pracs in your science textbook. You should also write prac reports on all the pracs that you do at school. We used the Pearson Science book at school and most (if not all) of the pracs had discussion questions.
Essay preparation: Writing task 1 in the GAT is a good idea. Last year, the topic was about mars so try that one out. However unlike the GAT, you need to use BOTH the information given AND your own knowledge. https://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/Documents/exams/GAT/2019/2019gat-cpr-w.pdf
“Our life is a constant journey, from birth to death. The landscape changes, the people change, our needs change, but the train keeps moving. Life is the train, not the station.”

― Paulo Coelho

Train nerd, Venturer Scout, and JMSS hoomun

JMSS guide: https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=189547

ig: @sfaunncgha