Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 03:05:33 am

Author Topic: 2019 HSC Revision Lectures  (Read 3187 times)

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
2019 HSC Revision Lectures
« on: September 29, 2019, 09:16:05 am »
+5
Hey, everyone!

This thread here is for those who will attended my English Advanced HSC Revision lecture at Macquarie University  :) Any theses posted in this thread within a week's time will receive feedback from me! If you have any questions from the lecture, feel free to ask below, and I will also endeavour to help you out  :D Keen to see lots of responses!

Angelina  ;D
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 11:16:43 pm by angewina_naguen »
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

OdenP

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: 2019 HSC Revision Lectures
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2019, 10:16:24 am »
Thesis:
Through representation of individual and collective human experiences, stories are able to appropriate common values to challenge assumptions in a way that enables social cohesion towards shared goals.

Topic sentence on inversion of values in 1984:
The contrast drawn between the values of Winston and those of the world around him allow Orwell to challenge assumptions about totalitarian societies through the inversion of shared values held by his audience.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 10:24:07 am by OdenP »

hmcclellan

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2019, 10:18:43 am »
Storytelling is a powerful device that communicates individual experiences to a larger cohort of the population developing a collective experience as a whole, that brings communities together building a common ground of understanding and experiences.

sekaiiakira12

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2019, 05:03:29 pm »
Thesis: In the documentary ‘Waste Land’, the purpose of storytelling exposes us to the transformative power of art and resilience of human beings which further brings us together as we are able to relate to these universal concepts.

Thank you!

renachen

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2019, 05:17:29 pm »
Thesis for: the purpose of storytelling is to bring us together, rather than tear us apart

Storytelling serves to explore, remind and teach us of our humanity and paves a way for communication and understanding of our shared experiences.

The Merchant of Venice elucidates the dynamic interconnection between human emotion and materials to expose the paradoxical and inconsistent interaction between each value.

z_oec

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2019, 09:47:45 am »
Thesis: Composers reveal the way in which storytelling acts as a vessel for human experience, allowing humanity to share and connect individual experiences to a broader collective narrative.

Topic sentence: Orwell explores the power of storytelling and language in manipulating and controlling the collective human experience of conscious thought and freedom of expression until individual identity is void and reduced to primal obedience.

Rubytuesday2027

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2019, 02:24:36 pm »
Text: The Merchant of Venice

Thesis: Storytelling acts as a vice to further our human experience. Harbouring connections through storytelling creates a better understanding of humanity.

Topic Sentence: Shakespeare uses storytelling as a vice to educate Elizabethan society about the dangers of the human condition. As human we tend to act on emotion, leading to us to become prejudiced towards each other.

tara_forman01

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2019, 04:23:47 pm »
Hey Angelina - thanks in advance :)

Thesis: At the core of storytelling, its purpose is to illuminate similarities and differences within the human experience and to unify individuals whom withhold aligning morals and beliefs. Miller’s The Crucible seeks to expose the human condition, which in both Salem’s 1692 and McCarthyism’s 1950s contexts, individuals are challenged by those around them, thus, are torn apart.

Point Sentence: The experience of mass hysteria is successful in both tearing apart and unifying the society of Salem, and in its transcendent nature, the world.

Hannah1004

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2019, 06:22:58 pm »
Thesis:
Through the techniques employed by Slessor to reveal the human experience of finding beauty in the unexpected in the poem William Street, he challenges his readers to reconsider assumptions about the concept of beauty, therefore uniting his audience in this similar human experience.

Topic sentence:
Slessor uses storytelling in his depiction of life, colour and energy in William street, aptly conveying the beauty he sees in this environment and uniting his audience in this experience of beauty. 

Thanks so much for doing this!!

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2019, 06:59:50 pm »
+4
Hey, everyone!

Going to progressively start going through these responses  :D Hope the feedback is helpful!

Thesis:
Through representation of individual and collective human experiences, stories are able to appropriate common values to challenge assumptions in a way that enables social cohesion towards shared goals.

Topic sentence on inversion of values in 1984:
The contrast drawn between the values of Winston and those of the world around him allow Orwell to challenge assumptions about totalitarian societies through the inversion of shared values held by his audience.

OdenP Feedback
Hey, OdenP!

Well done for being the first poster. Your thesis and topic sentence are both looking good! The thesis draws from the storytelling concept of the module well and expands on the ideas from the statement. Being super picky, I would probably just remove that phrase at the beginning since it doesn't contribute as much to the thesis and isn't as related to the question itself. That being said, you could introduce that as an elaboration of your thesis in the next sentence!

As for the topic sentence, I think it's clever that you're looking at the inversion of values in 1984. This topic sentence sets your paragraph up nicely for an engagement with the Human Experience module ideas. Also still being picky but you could cut down on a few words here to make the sentence more concise as follows: The contrast drawn between the Winston's values of Winston and those of the world around him allow Orwell to challenges assumptions about totalitarian societies through the inversion of shared values held by his audience. I would bring up Orwell and the audience in the next sentence to extend on the topic sentence to keep it more focused on the module. You could also insert the words "narrative" or "storytelling" somewhere in the topic sentence to engage deeper with the question. Otherwise, great work!

Storytelling is a powerful device that communicates individual experiences to a larger cohort of the population developing a collective experience as a whole, that brings communities together building a common ground of understanding and experiences.

hmcclellan's Feedback
Hey, hmcclellan!
Your thesis is heading on the right track! You engaged well with the question and really thought about how its ideas relate to individual and collective human experiences. Something you could look at in terms of reworking it is refining the thesis. As of current, it's quite long and while it addresses everything you need to, it could definitely be shortened. There are some repeated elements in it which you could look at refining to make your judgement clearer. Here's where I think you can cut down: Storytelling is a powerfullly device that communicates individual experiences to a larger cohort of the population developing a collective experience as a whole, that to brings communities together, building a common ground of understanding and experiences. I also think you could add something like "to the audience" as a way to reinforce the whole "purpose" of storytelling at the end of the thesis. This would give it more clarity as a result! Great effort and I hope this helps!

Thesis: In the documentary ‘Waste Land’, the purpose of storytelling exposes us to the transformative power of art and resilience of human beings which further brings us together as we are able to relate to these universal concepts.

Thank you!

sekaiiakira12's Feedback
Hey, sekaiikakira12!

Great work with the thesis! Along with the other responses I've seen so far, you have tackled the storytelling concept in a direct and simple manner. I particularly like how you look at "art" and suggest the role of the text being also a medium to explore visual narratives. My only suggestion is to dive straight into it and introduce the text itself in the next sentence or two. Keep the thesis an answer to the question. I could be even pickier and say to cut down the "as we are able to relate to these universal concepts" part. You could bring this up in later in the introduction. Otherwise, well done for engaging with the question so well.
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

bellab02

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2019, 08:50:48 pm »
+1
Thesis: The purpose of storytelling is to ignite recognition within readers towards experiences and emotions they gain an insight to through texts, namely Tim Winton’s memoir, ‘The Boy Behind The Curtain’. This sense of recognition acts as a guide for human actions that result in a meditation on life’s fragility, spirituality and how the natural world underlines these notions.

akjen

• Adventurer
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2019, 11:34:48 pm »
+1
Storytelling allows us to share our individual human experiences through textual mediums so that we are able to create collective human experiences. This is especially shown in Arthur Miller's "The Crucible" where various human experiences result due to the 'red scare' and 'McCarthyism'.

Be brutally honest (to a band 5 level) ...Thanks in advance!

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2019, 09:08:23 am »
+3
More feedback coming in  :) Will get more finished as things wind down a bit with uni work.

Thesis for: the purpose of storytelling is to bring us together, rather than tear us apart

Storytelling serves to explore, remind and teach us of our humanity and paves a way for communication and understanding of our shared experiences.

The Merchant of Venice elucidates the dynamic interconnection between human emotion and materials to expose the paradoxical and inconsistent interaction between each value.

renachen's Feedback
Hey, renachen!

Your thesis is looking good and directly engages with the question. I particularly like how you have almost illustrated storytelling as a pathway that reveals important ideas about being human. My only suggestion would be to refine it a little like so; Storytelling serves to explore, remind and teach us of our humanity and paving a way for communication and understanding of our shared experiences. I think this encapsulates the essence of your thesis and you can bring up communication as a point in your elaboration of the thesis!

For your topic sentence, I would advise you to reduce the length and verbosity in it so you can have some more clarity in your ideas. Something like "The Merchant of Venice elucidates the dynamic interconnection between human emotion and materials to expose the paradoxical and inconsistent interaction between each value." I would also aim to consider how this links to narrative and storytelling to make sure it extends from the thesis itself and still responds to the question. Off to a great start and hope this helps!

Thesis: Composers reveal the way in which storytelling acts as a vessel for human experience, allowing humanity to share and connect individual experiences to a broader collective narrative.

Topic sentence: Orwell explores the power of storytelling and language in manipulating and controlling the collective human experience of conscious thought and freedom of expression until individual identity is void and reduced to primal obedience.

z_oec's Feedback
Hey, z_oec!

The thesis and topic sentences are looking good! They both orient themselves toward the question and delve into ideas of storytelling evidently. For the thesis, I could even go as far as to say that you could probably remove the "Composers reveal the way in which" phrase at the beginning because the rest of the thesis works fine without it! If anything, it lends itself to be more directed to the actual question and shows that immediate engagement with the module concepts.

Your topic sentence is coming together nicely too. I would perhaps recommend shortening it a little too to something like this; Orwell explores tThe power of storytelling and language in manipulates and controls the collective human experiences of conscious thought and freedom of expression until individual identity is void and reduced to primal obedience. In removing these elements, you could introduce them, as well as the author, in the explanation sentence to follow. This can enable the topic sentence to remain a response to the question as a result. Hope this helps and great effort!

-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

dani01

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2019, 12:38:38 pm »
+1
Thesis: The telling and receiving of stories provides a glimpse into the voices not heard in history, and allows us to be present in our human experience as well as drawing us into the experiences of others.

Topic: Anthony Doerr’s postmodern novel All the Light We Cannot See challenges the way we receive stories and by doing so he invites the petit-recits of the silenced individuals and groups, igniting new ideas of the experiences of the past.

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2019, 02:26:14 pm »
+2
Hey, everyone!

Thanks for getting your responses in! I will be getting feedback to them very soon  :D In the mean time, your lecture slides are now available for download. Click on the link below to download your English Advanced slides  ;D

2019 HSC English Advanced Revision Lecture Slides
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-