Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 10:43:44 am

Author Topic: Rear Window Essay Question Help  (Read 561 times)  Share 

Em.C11

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Rear Window Essay Question Help
« on: July 13, 2020, 06:17:59 pm »
Can someone please help me with this.
Alfred Hitchcock's Rear Window is as much a snapshot of an era as it is about a murder. Do you agree?
I am having trouble interpreting the question is it saying that things like voyeurism and McCarthyism are focused on more than the murder itself?

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +785
Re: Rear Window Essay Question Help
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2020, 07:17:28 pm »
+2
Hi Em.C11!

I think you would be able to talk about what you want with this question.
You don't have to fully agree/disagree and say murder is/isn't the focus of the film. If I got this question I would say that the murder mystery plot intertwines with a romantic comedy plot that acts as a social commentary on the time period. Since it mentions murder mystery, you should have at least one paragraph about the murder mystery (like how it drives the plot forward /is the main focus). Then you could have a paragraph about how one of Hitchock's aims of this film was to comment on this era and talk about gender roles/McCarthyism/etc in the 1950s. For my last paragraph,  I would write about how the film is not just a murder mystery, the main focus/a large part of the film is (the relationship between Jeff and Lisa) OR (voyeurism), and talk about how it's a significant part of the plot.

Hope this helps :)
2018: Biology
2019: Chemistry, Physics, Math Methods, English, Japanese
2020: Bachelor of Psychology (Monash)