Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 02:26:25 pm

Author Topic: Anybody trying out for John Monash for year 11 in 2015?  (Read 3359 times)  Share 

Jordannlee

Anybody trying out for John Monash for year 11 in 2015?
« on: November 30, 2014, 07:31:03 pm »
Hey guys i'm pretty new to these forums. But anyway is anyone going to be trying out for JMSS in 2015 for year 11? I was pretty devastated when i didn't receive entry into JMSS this year, but i'm pretty determined to get in in 2015. Just want to get a gauge of who will be going for it and other stuffs haha.

southmelbdimsim

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
  • School: JMSS
  • School Grad Year: 2017
Re: Anybody trying out for John Monash for year 11 in 2015?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 08:41:57 pm »
I assume you sat the exam this year for a place in Year 10 for 2015 for JMSS?  Did you get an interview but missed out or did you not get an interview?  And now you want to try next year to gain entry to Year 11 in 2016 for JMSS?

Getting into Year 11 is a lot more difficult than getting into Year 10, and is largely dependent on luck more than anything else.  Feel free to PM me if you are interested in the details.

IndefatigableLover

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • What kind of shoes do ninjas wear? Sneakers.
  • Respect: +105
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 08:52:30 pm »
+3
I assume you sat the exam this year for a place in Year 10 for 2015 for JMSS?  Did you get an interview but missed out or did you not get an interview?  And now you want to try next year to gain entry to Year 11 in 2016 for JMSS?

Getting into Year 11 is a lot more difficult than getting into Year 10, and is largely dependent on luck more than anything else.  Feel free to PM me if you are interested in the details.
I'm trying not to tangle myself into all this but saying that it's "largely dependent on luck" is literally an insult to those actually got accepted into Year 11 because they got accepted based on their merits and all rather than it being based on luck.

As for how hard it is to get accepted for Year 11, I'd say it's on par with Year 10 entry (if not just slightly harder but not a massive jump like say Year 8 -> Year 9 MHS/Mac.Rob) since people who don't get a placement for Year 10 apply again for a place in Year 11 and managed to get a place for Year 11 :)

Hannibal

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 09:59:16 pm »
+1
I'm not 100% sure about this but the 3% rule may not apply for Year 11 entry, so if the reason you didn't get in this year is because of the competition within your school, it could be easier :).
2018-2020: UoM Comm

Jordannlee

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 10:22:02 pm »
Hey guys yes I did in fact try out for JMSS to get entry into year 10 for 2015 and I am going to try out for year 11 for 2016 next year. I thought I did pretty well in my exams and I got an interview, and there is where I think I messed up. I don't know how but I messed it up. I asked for my exam results and it came back saying I got three superiors for the maths, numerical and science, and a high average and above average for writing pieces. I just need to know how to prepare for next year and all because asking around my school people with just one superior got accepted so I want to know where I went wrong, and mainly what to do in an interview.

Jordannlee

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2014, 10:24:28 pm »
I'm not 100% sure about this but the 3% rule may not apply for Year 11 entry, so if the reason you didn't get in this year is because of the competition within your school, it could be easier :).
Yes it was mainly due to a large student population that wanted to just get out of my school but eh what can I do I guess   :(
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 10:57:39 pm by Jordannlee »

southmelbdimsim

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • School: JMSS
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 12:55:18 am »
I'm trying not to tangle myself into all this but saying that it's "largely dependent on luck" is literally an insult to those actually got accepted into Year 11 because they got accepted based on their merits and all rather than it being based on luck.

Yeah I can see how what I said could be interpreted that way.

What I meant was that for Year 10 there are 200 places available so you know what you are competing for.  Where as for Year 11 the number of places available varies so if you were "lucky" then there might be more number of places available for the year that you apply.  Of course regardless of the number of places available you still have to meet the standard.

SKGUN11

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • 9+10=21
  • School: John Monash Science School
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2014, 08:48:36 pm »
Hey guys i'm pretty new to these forums. But anyway is anyone going to be trying out for JMSS in 2015 for year 11? I was pretty devastated when i didn't receive entry into JMSS this year, but i'm pretty determined to get in in 2015. Just want to get a gauge of who will be going for it and other stuffs haha.
yeah, with determination anything is possible. It is probably slightly harder (as i have heard). Probably late year 9 to early year 10 standard. Good Luck and I hope to see you in year 11 at JMSS.
:D

Rahmaali

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2014, 12:56:26 pm »
im doing year 10 entry exam   :o

ifarted69

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2014, 09:59:45 pm »
Hey guys yes I did in fact try out for JMSS to get entry into year 10 for 2015 and I am going to try out for year 11 for 2016 next year. I thought I did pretty well in my exams and I got an interview, and there is where I think I messed up. I don't know how but I messed it up. I asked for my exam results and it came back saying I got three superiors for the maths, numerical and science, and a high average and above average for writing pieces. I just need to know how to prepare for next year and all because asking around my school people with just one superior got accepted so I want to know where I went wrong, and mainly what to do in an interview.

Can you explain what happened in the interview?
Where did you think you went wrong?