Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 06:35:51 pm

Author Topic: Any tips on Year 10-11 Nossal High School entry exam?  (Read 19714 times)  Share 

Asteriskkk

Any tips on Year 10-11 Nossal High School entry exam?
« on: February 18, 2014, 08:41:29 pm »
Do you have any idea what is going to be on the exam and is it similar to the one that Year 8s do? And any tips for the interview afterwards?

Thank you :)))
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 10:20:21 pm by Arnold Brendenegger »

Asteriskkk

Re: Tips on Year 10-11 Nossal High School entry exam
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 10:03:41 pm »
Oh woops, seems my title is misleading people, can a mod add the word Any before the word tips

cute

Re: Any tips on Year 10-11 Nossal High School entry exam?
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 05:21:55 pm »
+1
Personally, I was taken into Nossal at Year 9 level, and the intake was huge so I don't have personal experience, but a few of my friends entered at Year 10 level.
You're aiming at making it into approximately 10 spots at Year 10 level and 2-4 at Year 11.
The process works like this:
- You take a test with edutest, at a date organised together with the school and the company.
- You are placed on a waiting list in order of how well you averaged compared to the other 100 or so people who take the test.
- As students leave for various reasons (mostly to attend JMSS really) you'll be contacted for an interview if a spot opens up. A few people are interviewed for each spot and places are allocated at the discretion of the principal.

The test is almost identical to the Year 9 exam. They actually make the Year 11s at our school take the same type of test again to test our progress at the school around the same time of year. It is not age-specific. It is a general test and you can use the general Year 9 preparation material to study.

The interview is the tricky part if you've been highly focused on study. Nossal is having a year of 'the co-curricular' this year and they are looking especially at how you participated outside of your studies. If you can, join a sports team or a society at your current school to boost up your bragging material.

If you need any exam-specific help, I'm happy to help and I am offering tutoring for this exact purpose this year.

(shameless)

Good luck!!

IndefatigableLover

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • What kind of shoes do ninjas wear? Sneakers.
  • Respect: +105
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 05:49:38 pm »
Haha I think with any selective school in general, it's Edutest that are running it so if you've ever sat for an exam from a selective school then it should be fairly similar (like Maths for example). And I definitely agree that after the main lot of enrolments (so Year 8 -> Year 9 entry)  they'll be looking for people involved in co-curriculars (provided you passed the exam and got an interview that is).

^Again I have no idea how Nossal does it but for entry into Year 11 (for JMSS as well as EBSS) there are more writing tasks to be completed so working on English is something you should do I reckon (since English is compulsory in every school so yeah...)

Interview wise... (again I don't know the setup at Nossal) but a few general things I follow when it comes to interviews (whether it be for school or work) is the "three 12's". They are:
  • First 12 words spoken (first impressions)
  • First 12 centimetres from head to shoulder (you should look presentable)
  • First 12 steps (confidence/attitude)

^They're probably something that won't be taken too seriously (and if it doesn't make sense to you then don't worry) but it's worked for me in every interview I've done so yeah... and remember to not fully rehearse answers to questions (you want to look natural when you answer during interviews)!

Good luck!

xboxer

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: hampton park
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2014, 07:34:31 pm »
what to study for the year 10 nossal exam.

alchemy

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2014, 10:15:20 pm »
what to study for the year 10 nossal exam.

Quote from the use Hannibal whose suggested the main points:
Year 8:
- Simplifying (10x+2y+4x+3y)
- Standard Equations with no Surds (3x=4x+2(3+2))
- Inequalities (3x+2>5)
- Linear Equations (y=mx+c)
- Expanding ((6+x)(4+2))
- Basic Factorising (6x+3=3(2x+1))
-Surds
Year 9:
- Simultaneous Equations (2x+4=y, 2x+18=22)
- Quadratic Equations (y=ax^2+bx+c) [There's a few variations]
- Factorising Trinomials (x^2+4x+4=(x+2)^2)
- Perfect Squares ((x+2)^2)
- Difference of Perfect Squares ((x+2)(x-2))
Year 10:
- Quadratic Formula
- Completing the Square

xboxer

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2014, 12:55:32 pm »
how many people would attend the nossal year 10 exam? Is there an interview after the exam? also when would you get your test results and when would you be notified that you got into nossal.

Asteriskkk

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2014, 05:24:23 pm »
how many people would attend the nossal year 10 exam? Is there an interview after the exam? also when would you get your test results and when would you be notified that you got into nossal.

I think its around August but there is Late Offers until December 3rd, and after that if you dont get in, you have to resit it

SKGUN11

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • 9+10=21
  • School: John Monash Science School
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2014, 06:04:51 pm »
Quote from the use Hannibal whose suggested the main points:
Year 8:
- Simplifying (10x+2y+4x+3y)
- Standard Equations with no Surds (3x=4x+2(3+2))
- Inequalities (3x+2>5)
- Linear Equations (y=mx+c)
- Expanding ((6+x)(4+2))
- Basic Factorising (6x+3=3(2x+1))
-Surds
Year 9:
- Simultaneous Equations (2x+4=y, 2x+18=22)
- Quadratic Equations (y=ax^2+bx+c) [There's a few variations]
- Factorising Trinomials (x^2+4x+4=(x+2)^2)
- Perfect Squares ((x+2)^2)
- Difference of Perfect Squares ((x+2)(x-2))
Year 10:
- Quadratic Formula
- Completing the Square
oo, I know them all quite well. Trig, pythagoras and ratios would be good to know as well. Does everyone get an interview or is there a cutoff mark? I am worried about the verbal reasoning and reading comprehension!  :-\ I think there is like 100-300 people trying, according to figures last year.  :-\ 10 get in right? Good Luck everyone! Do your best!!  ;D
:D

deerlinas

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2014, 06:20:30 pm »
oo, I know them all quite well. Trig, pythagoras and ratios would be good to know as well. Does everyone get an interview or is there a cutoff mark? I am worried about the verbal reasoning and reading comprehension!  :-\ I think there is like 100-300 people trying, according to figures last year.  :-\ 10 get in right? Good Luck everyone! Do your best!!  ;D
I'm assuming that the people who missed out on a spot by a few marks gets an interview with the principal. Don't worry, I'm sure you'll do fine. For Reading Comprehension, read the questions first so you know what to find in the text. Lastly, verbal reasoning is quite difficult, but try drawing a diagram in your head and crossing off the wrong answers until you're left with the right one. ^^

SKGUN11

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • 9+10=21
  • School: John Monash Science School
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2014, 06:32:07 pm »
I'm assuming that the people who missed out on a spot by a few marks gets an interview with the principal. Don't worry, I'm sure you'll do fine. For Reading Comprehension, read the questions first so you know what to find in the text. Lastly, verbal reasoning is quite difficult, but try drawing a diagram in your head and crossing off the wrong answers until you're left with the right one. ^^
hmm yeah! Hahaha thanks for the help  :)
:D

spectroscopy

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +373
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2014, 06:35:11 pm »
about 10% of the people that enter are students who just missed out on the score so they got an interview and one

xboxer

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2014, 11:48:54 am »
are all the nossal high test multiple choice?

Hannibal

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2014, 11:52:41 am »
are all the nossal high test multiple choice?
All of them except writing is multiple choice, I'm pretty sure.
2018-2020: UoM Comm

Asteriskkk

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2014, 05:01:04 pm »
Its more populous this year as people wanting to go to Nossal for 10, and also wanting to go for MHS 10
then they ahve to sit the Nossal exam first, and carry those results into MHS