Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 10:31:13 am

Author Topic: Psych U4 Q's Thread!  (Read 33717 times)  Share 

Slumdawg

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +65
Re: Psych U4 Q's Thread!
« Reply #60 on: August 28, 2011, 03:48:07 pm »
Can all types of negative punishment also be referred to as 'response cost'?
Response cost is the removal of a valued stimulus, but what kind of stimulus is negative punishment removing then?
Negative punishment = Response Cost. Just two terms describing the same thing.

So negative punishment also removes a valued stimulus.
2010 ATAR: 98.35 - Psychology [50] Media Studies [47
2011-'13: Bachelor of Biomedicine [Neuroscience Major] at Melbourne Uni 
2014-'17: Doctor of Medicine (MD) at Melbourne Uni 

Slumdawg

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #61 on: August 28, 2011, 03:54:54 pm »
What about one trial learning?
I'd say yes however one trial learning (when talking about taste aversion) requires the person to actually go and eat something. While classical conditioning sometimes merely involves blinking, which is less participation on behalf of the learner. So I'd say classical conditioning is probably the slightly better answer..

Camo

• Sir President Father Professor Sergeant Admiral Grandmaster Camo OAM
  • Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • I love you like the little taco's.
  • Respect: +62
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #62 on: August 28, 2011, 06:22:21 pm »
I'd say yes however one trial learning (when talking about taste aversion) requires the person to actually go and eat something. While classical conditioning sometimes merely involves blinking, which is less participation on behalf of the learner. So I'd say classical conditioning is probably the slightly better answer..

Wouldn't it be a better answer to say that while classical conditioning requires a passive response of the learner, in one trial learning the learner must be at least partially active, e.g eating a piece of food (taste aversion).
‎"We divert our attention from disease and death as much as we can; and the slaughter-houses and indecencies without end on which our life is founded are huddled out of sight and never mentioned, so that the world we recognize officially in literature and in society is a poetic fiction far handsomer and cleaner and better than the world that really is."
- William James.

Slumdawg

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #63 on: August 28, 2011, 07:11:23 pm »

Wouldn't it be a better answer to say that while classical conditioning requires a passive response of the learner, in one trial learning the learner must be at least partially active, e.g eating a piece of food (taste aversion).
hmm no, don't refer to active when talking about one trial learning. It is after all regarded as a passive process. Also my explanation wasn't supposed to be a suggested solution, it was just there to help explain to Louie why classical is a slightly better answer than one trial learning :)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 07:14:02 pm by Slumdawg »

SamiJ

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #64 on: August 29, 2011, 06:52:43 pm »
Explain how allostasis integrates biological, psychological and social factors to explain an individual’s response to stress. Thanks :D
2010: Biology [100] ;)
2011: English [61]
Mathematical Methods (CAS) [75]
Chemistry [84]
Physics [99]
Psychology [∞]
2012:.... ???

REBORN

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +74
« Reply #65 on: August 29, 2011, 07:44:10 pm »
Psychological - appraising the situation as stressful
The potential stressor - psychological/social/biological
Biological - the HPA axis/sympathetic NS activated as part of the allostatic response
Doctor of Medicine

billius1

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #66 on: September 04, 2011, 10:01:46 pm »
How much do we need to know about the DSM-IV and the ICD-10? do we need to know the different axes?
study design says only strengths and limitations, but every resource i have goes into detail!

Camo

• Sir President Father Professor Sergeant Admiral Grandmaster Camo OAM
  • Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • I love you like the little taco's.
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #67 on: September 05, 2011, 07:09:52 am »
How much do we need to know about the DSM-IV and the ICD-10? do we need to know the different axes?
study design says only strengths and limitations, but every resource i have goes into detail!

How safe do you want to be going into the exam. You never know they might just chuck an extended response at you and go blargh solve this for 10 marks! :P
‎"We divert our attention from disease and death as much as we can; and the slaughter-houses and indecencies without end on which our life is founded are huddled out of sight and never mentioned, so that the world we recognize officially in literature and in society is a poetic fiction far handsomer and cleaner and better than the world that really is."
- William James.

billius1

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #68 on: September 05, 2011, 06:25:44 pm »
lol yeah very true. thanks :)
and i just had a look at the sample questions, theres a pretty big emphasis on the DMS, so i'd say it will make some kind of an appearance.
but going on unit 3, the extended response will be on a topic that's from the multiple choice ;)

also, another question: do we need to know differences between physical health/illness and comparing these to mental? because the textbook goes into it, but psych notes doesn't and it's not really specified in the study design

REBORN

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +74
« Reply #69 on: September 05, 2011, 06:27:26 pm »
There is no emphasis on the DMS. It does not exist :P

and i just had a look at the sample questions, theres a pretty big emphasis on the DMS, so i'd say it will make some kind of an appearance.
Doctor of Medicine

SamiJ

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #70 on: September 05, 2011, 06:53:47 pm »
+1

there's a pretty big emphasis on DMS. multiple questions in multiple forms is what i'd call an emphasis, no?
It's DSM not DMS
Chemistry [84]
Physics [99]
Psychology [∞]

SamiJ

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #71 on: September 06, 2011, 04:33:41 pm »

Just don't do it on the exam :P

there's a pretty big emphasis on DMS. multiple questions in multiple forms is what i'd call an emphasis, no?
It's DSM not DMS

LOL oops. sorry
Chemistry [84]
Physics [99]
Psychology [∞]

SamiJ

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #72 on: September 12, 2011, 06:42:47 pm »
Another one...
Explain how GABA may contribute to phobic anxiety and make some people more predisposed to developing a specific phobia.
Chemistry [84]
Physics [99]
Psychology [∞]

playsimme

« Reply #73 on: September 12, 2011, 10:53:12 pm »
+3
Well GABA is an inhibitory neurotransmitter meaning it counterbalances glutamate, meaning low levels of it (due to genetics, environmental factors such as lack of vitamin b6, excessive caffeine for example) can cause one to become more prone to anxiety--> hence developing an anxiety disorder such as a specific phobia. GABA contributes to phobic management as its the source of what needs to be controlled in order to suppress or alleviate a phobic response; this is evident in the use of Benzodiazepines to activate the GABA receptors.
Hope that helps

hotdog169

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #74 on: September 14, 2011, 09:23:53 pm »
what threat information does the movie jaw transmit?