Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 11:36:10 pm

Author Topic: VCE Biology Question Thread  (Read 3570486 times)  Share 

simrat99

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Re: VCE Biology Question Thread
« Reply #9285 on: September 07, 2017, 05:35:18 pm »
Hi,
I was wondering, what are some of the safety precautions we need to take when handling DNA in a lab?
Thanks in advance  :)

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #9286 on: September 07, 2017, 07:07:51 pm »
There isn't really safety precautions specifically for DNA. You would want to be wearing gloves to prevent cross contamination. Also in the context of gel eloectrophoresis you need gloves and goggles due to ithidium bromide (a known mutagen) being used to highlight the bands.
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

LifeisaConstantStruggle

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +104
« Reply #9287 on: September 07, 2017, 07:46:43 pm »
https://www.luminexcorp.com/blog/10-ways-minimize-contamination-molecular-laboratory/

In the context of vce 5-10's probably what you need to know
2018-2020: Bachelor of Actuarial Science (+ Econometrics), Monash
2021: Bachelor of Commerce (Honours), Econometrics & Financial Mathematics, Monash
2022-2023: Work and some soul-searching

anotherworld2b

• Forum Leader
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #9288 on: September 07, 2017, 11:36:02 pm »
I was wondering what would be a detailed explanation of how a fever works?

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #9289 on: September 08, 2017, 07:27:52 am »
+1

I was wondering what would be a detailed explanation of how a fever works?

NOT VCE CONTENT

I have no idea about the WACE content so I can't bill this to what you're expected to know, but:

Fevers happen when the immune system releases cytokines in response to an infectious or inflammatory stimulus. The cytokines released are TNF-α, IL-1 and IL-6. These are alternatively called pyrogens from their ability to generate (gen) heat (pyro=fire).

The pyrogens go to the hypothalamus, where they effect the production of prostaglandins (PGE2). This then leads to a change in the homeostatic set point for temperature in the hypothalamus. By changing the set point, the body starts to heat up and thus you have your fever
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

Primenumber32

• Adventurer
« Reply #9290 on: September 12, 2017, 10:15:35 pm »
Hey, can someone please clarify the difference between genetic testing and genetic screening.
Thanks in advance!!

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #9291 on: September 12, 2017, 10:46:03 pm »
+2

Hey, can someone please clarify the difference between genetic testing and genetic screening.
Thanks in advance!!

Test: I want to test you for this disease because I think you might have it
Screen: I'm gonna test a whole bunch of people and hopefully find someone with the disease
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

KANYEWEST

• Trailblazer
  • Kanye for President 2020
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #9292 on: September 15, 2017, 06:09:33 pm »
Hey Yall, i have two quick questions on 'DNA manipulation'
1) why do we need unique nucleotides in PCR?
2) How can the Alu repeat regions (in gel electrophoresis) be used for DNA profiling?

thanks
Kanye West x

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
« Reply #9293 on: September 15, 2017, 06:16:24 pm »
+1
Hey Yall, i have two quick questions on 'DNA manipulation'
1) why do we need unique nucleotides in PCR?
2) How can the Alu repeat regions (in gel electrophoresis) be used for DNA profiling?

thanks

1. Not sure what you mean by unique nucleotides. Individual A, T, C, G nucleotides have to be added, they are then joined onto the end of the primer by the taq polymerase effectively creating another strand. The taq polymerase just adds nucleotides, it does not create them so you have to put them in yourself. Does that answer your question?

2. Gel electrophoresis sorts fragments according to length. Individuals with more Alu repeats will therefore have longer fragments, which you will able to see when looking at a gel electrophoresis. If DNA from a crime scene is compared to two suspects and one suspect has a fragment of the same length as the crime scene DNA then they are likely the criminal.

KANYEWEST

• Trailblazer
« Reply #9294 on: September 15, 2017, 09:33:57 pm »
1. Not sure what you mean by unique nucleotides. Individual A, T, C, G nucleotides have to be added, they are then joined onto the end of the primer by the taq polymerase effectively creating another strand. The taq polymerase just adds nucleotides, it does not create them so you have to put them in yourself. Does that answer your question?

2. Gel electrophoresis sorts fragments according to length. Individuals with more Alu repeats will therefore have longer fragments, which you will able to see when looking at a gel electrophoresis. If DNA from a crime scene is compared to two suspects and one suspect has a fragment of the same length as the crime scene DNA then they are likely the criminal.

Thank you so much for your reply,
It makes sense now!
:)
Kanye West x

KANYEWEST

• Trailblazer
« Reply #9295 on: September 15, 2017, 10:21:41 pm »
Thank you so much for your reply,
It makes sense now!
:)

Also, to elaborate more on the first question, the question simply stated:
'The PCR primers used in this experiment are unique nucleotide sequences. why would they need to be unique sequences?'

Im not to sure on how to answer this question, as my teacher doesnt like basic answers, so i wanted to ask for help from here, which you did help me with, but now that i have included the entire question, would you be able to answer it for me, or is it jsut what you mentioned on earlier?
Kanye West x

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
« Reply #9296 on: September 15, 2017, 10:40:44 pm »
ahhh ok that makes more sense. It's a weirdly worded question I doubt you would get one like that from VCAA. I'd say the answer they're looking for would be something like

PCR primers need to be able to anneal to either side of the section of DNA that is intended to be amplified. To do this they must be complementary to the unique sequence of DNA on either side of the desired region.

ie. They have to be unique so they join to the right spot (the complementary DNA sequence)

KANYEWEST

• Trailblazer
« Reply #9297 on: September 15, 2017, 10:53:12 pm »
ahhh ok that makes more sense. It's a weirdly worded question I doubt you would get one like that from VCAA. I'd say the answer they're looking for would be something like

PCR primers need to be able to anneal to either side of the section of DNA that is intended to be amplified. To do this they must be complementary to the unique sequence of DNA on either side of the desired region.

ie. They have to be unique so they join to the right spot (the complementary DNA sequence)

That sounds excellent!
Thank you again for your help, hugely appriciated!
Kanye West x

captkirk

• Forum Regular
  • Hello
« Reply #9298 on: September 16, 2017, 12:07:33 am »
+2
Hey everyone, for units 1/2 for biology my class comprehensively studied for mitosis/meiosis. I find it weird that for unit 3/4 we did not learn about it. On the study design it says nothing about meiosis/mitosis. My question is do you think i should refresh my brain and study for mitosis/meiosis for the exam.

I feel like this is one of VCAAs tricks to separate a 50 student to a 49 student.

581 words remaining

LifeisaConstantStruggle

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +104
« Reply #9299 on: September 16, 2017, 12:12:25 am »
+1
If VCAA wants to pull tricks they I don't think they would use knowledge from a completely different topic we've learned in unit 2? I'm not sure, sometimes the questions used to divide people come in small subtle chunks, don't worry too much about it.
2018-2020: Bachelor of Actuarial Science (+ Econometrics), Monash
2021: Bachelor of Commerce (Honours), Econometrics & Financial Mathematics, Monash
2022-2023: Work and some soul-searching