Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 11:58:39 pm

Author Topic: VCE Biology Question Thread  (Read 3571736 times)  Share 

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
Re: VCE Biology Question Thread
« Reply #11100 on: October 29, 2018, 06:50:16 pm »
+1
Any other functions of complement proteins??

Oh! So yeast will also aerobically respirate? Will they produce an overall of 30-38 ATP also?
Complement proteins have 3 functions
1. Opsonize pathogens: They stick on the surface of pathogens in the extracellular environment and make it easier for leukocytes to recognise them.
2. Attract phagocytes to the area: They are chemoattractants, phagocytes will be drawn to the source of complement proteins.
3. Create pores in bacterial membranes. Form a Membrane Attack Complex (MAC): They create a hole in the bacteria, causing fluid from the extracellular environment to rush in and rupture the bacteria.

Yep, same as any other organism.
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

Azim.m

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #11101 on: October 29, 2018, 06:52:47 pm »
I know why it’s not A, B or C but I don’t understand option D.
Could someone help me out?

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
« Reply #11102 on: October 29, 2018, 06:58:32 pm »
+1
I know why it’s not A, B or C but I don’t understand option D.
Could someone help me out?
The results show that in women, exposure to the bacteria is correlated with a decreased chance of having MS (because the antibodies are detected in 30% less women) so therefore being infected (which is tested via the presence of antibodies) results in lower rates of MS and is therefore a protective factor.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 07:00:48 pm by PhoenixxFire »

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +785
« Reply #11103 on: October 29, 2018, 07:45:55 pm »
I am at the point where I can't think of any areas that I need to work on because I feel as though I know most of the stuff well, but whenever I do a practice exam i still am losing marks.
Does anyone have any suggestions for how to study in the last few days leading up the the exam?
I have done 17 practice exams, should I keep doing more or do something else?
Thanks!
2018: Biology
2019: Chemistry, Physics, Math Methods, English, Japanese
2020: Bachelor of Psychology (Monash)

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #11104 on: October 29, 2018, 07:52:16 pm »
+3
I am at the point where I can't think of any areas that I need to work on because I feel as though I know most of the stuff well, but whenever I do a practice exam i still am losing marks.
Does anyone have any suggestions for how to study in the last few days leading up the the exam?
Thanks!
still around 3 full days till the exam so i'd probably just do 1 exam to keep your routine going, it doesn't even have to be a full 2.5 hour exam (which is too long imo to be doing the day before your exam) you could just do a single unit exam - It's probably good to go over your past exams and see what you got wrong and why you go those questions wrong so that you don't make the same mistakes in the actual exam.

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
« Reply #11105 on: October 29, 2018, 07:54:29 pm »
+3
Thanks!
I’d suggest relaxing a bit tomorrow night (so don’t do a practice exam, just read over notes or write summaries or whatever) and then on Wednesday do another practice exam and completely focus on it and give it your best shot.

Given you think you know the content well, you’re probably losing marks on either misreading the question or not including enough detail? If that’s the case then go collect the questions you’ve gotten wrong recently and redo them rather than doing entire exams. But yeah, I reckon take it easy tomorrow night to relax a bit and then on Wednesday do another practice exam, it’s possible that whatever mistakes you’re making now are due to fatigue (not just lack of sleep fatigue, more so the fatigue that comes with constantly doing exams). If you don’t make as many mistakes after having taken a night off then you’ll know that’s why.

persistent_insomniac

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
  • School: -------
  • School Grad Year: 2019
« Reply #11106 on: October 29, 2018, 08:20:42 pm »
Is it just me or did anyone else find the 2017 VCAA exam to be really hard? It was probably the hardest VCAA exam so far like it was so time constrained :((( I'm so worried what this years exam will be like now....

galaxy21

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +23
« Reply #11107 on: October 29, 2018, 08:23:01 pm »
+1
Is it just me or did anyone else find the 2017 VCAA exam to be really hard? It was probably the hardest VCAA exam so far like it was so time constrained :((( I'm so worried what this years exam will be like now....
Yeah my teacher said that it was one of the harder ones of the recent VCAA exams, especially because of all of the reading and information that it involved. Fingers crossed they're really nice to us this year and give us a decent one!
2018 - Biology, Further
2019 - English, Chemistry, Methods, Health and Human Development
2020 - Bachelor of Science (Melbourne Uni)

Erutepa

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • evenin'
  • Respect: +775
« Reply #11108 on: October 29, 2018, 08:28:24 pm »
+4
Any other functions of complement proteins??
Not that it's relevant, but I found it interesting that the complement system is implicated in non-pathogenic arms of the immune system as well. One example of this is how it is believed to prompt excessive clearance of synapses in the brain in Alzheimer's in mouse models (and when complement is disrupted via knockouts of complement genes Alzheimers does not develop)
Qualifications
 > Have counted to 227
 > Can draw really good spiders
 > 2 Poet points
 > 6.5 insanipi points
 > 1 Bri MT point

AISHAB

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #11109 on: October 29, 2018, 08:31:12 pm »
Hey Guys,

I'm having trouble understanding how the rate of photosynthesis and cellular respiration interlink?Could anyone clarify this?

Thanks in advance!

Maya24

• MOTM: OCT 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +114
« Reply #11110 on: October 29, 2018, 08:33:40 pm »
+3
Thanks!

Maybe just read and write summaries again. I'm in the exact same situation as you and while I feel tempted to do practice exams, I feel like just reading and trying to take my time on questions help. Also studying with friends or doing a practice exam together helps get a sense of a thinking when doing questions. I find that the main problem is not fully understanding the question so maybe just break apart questions and figure out what it is  asking you.

lacitam

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #11111 on: October 29, 2018, 08:40:05 pm »
+3
Hey Guys,

I'm having trouble understanding how the rate of photosynthesis and cellular respiration interlink?Could anyone clarify this?

Thanks in advance!
Photosynthesis makes glucose, glucose enters cellular respiration stage to make ATP

Erutepa

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • evenin'
  • Respect: +775
« Reply #11112 on: October 29, 2018, 08:49:48 pm »
+3
Hey Guys,

Thanks in advance!
If you are familiar with the equations for cellular respiration and photosynthesis (quick tip: you should be) then you will notice that the products of one are more or less the reactants of the other.
This means that if both reactions were occurring at the same rate, all the products of one reaction will be utilized by the other reaction such that no net product is produced. If cellular respiration and photosynthesis were occurring at the same rate, all glucose produced from photosynthesis will be used in cellular respiration and there will be no net production.
As such, If one reaction was occurring at a greater rate than the other, there would be a net production of its products.

For this knowledge, it seems the most common application comes from reading a graph of co2 or oxygen production against light intensity. For this, if CO2 production is negative, then more CO2 is being used in photosynthesis than is being produced in cellular respiration (rate of cellular respiration is less than photosynthesis); if CO2 production is zero, then the same amount of CO2 is used in photosynthesis is being produced by cellular respiration (both reactions are occurring at same rate; and if CO2 production is positive, more CO2 is being produced by cellular respiration than is being used in photosynthesis (rate of cellular respiration is greater than that of photosynthesis.
Qualifications
 > Have counted to 227
 > Can draw really good spiders
 > 2 Poet points
 > 6.5 insanipi points
 > 1 Bri MT point

AISHAB

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #11113 on: October 29, 2018, 08:59:13 pm »
If you are familiar with the equations for cellular respiration and photosynthesis (quick tip: you should be) then you will notice that the products of one are more or less the reactants of the other.
This means that if both reactions were occurring at the same rate, all the products of one reaction will be utilized by the other reaction such that no net product is produced. If cellular respiration and photosynthesis were occurring at the same rate, all glucose produced from photosynthesis will be used in cellular respiration and there will be no net production.
As such, If one reaction was occurring at a greater rate than the other, there would be a net production of its products.

For this knowledge, it seems the most common application comes from reading a graph of co2 or oxygen production against light intensity. For this, if CO2 production is negative, then more CO2 is being used in photosynthesis than is being produced in cellular respiration (rate of cellular respiration is less than photosynthesis); if CO2 production is zero, then the same amount of CO2 is used in photosynthesis is being produced by cellular respiration (both reactions are occurring at same rate; and if CO2 production is positive, more CO2 is being produced by cellular respiration than is being used in photosynthesis (rate of cellular respiration is greater than that of photosynthesis.

Thank you so much makes clear sense now ;D ;D ;D

EllingtonFeint

• Trendsetter
  • Offering private tutoring ✨
  • Respect: +24
« Reply #11114 on: October 29, 2018, 09:00:36 pm »
2013 examiners report says that memory B cells are “short lived”.
Is this true? Do they ‘die’ or something?
And approximately how long do they last?

Are autoantibodies relevant to this study design?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 09:18:39 pm by Angelica2001 »
Biology 🌱 [49] |  English [47]

Surviving and Succeeding in Biology:
https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=187145.msg1129188