Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:12:09 pm

Author Topic: Mixer's note taking website, 'Noterist' :)  (Read 1095 times)

5mixer

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +18
Mixer's note taking website, 'Noterist' :)
« on: October 01, 2018, 08:42:15 pm »
+14
Hey folks! I've been working on a note taking website for a couple of months now and thought I'd share my progress here.

My idea at the start of the year was to make a website where I could store images of my biology notes. At the start of the year I made heaps of index cards with diagrams and explanations for concepts I needed for biology, and having a site to store them would be useful. So I made that, and from there added tagging, searching, and descriptions to cards.

Then I branched out and made another sections more like an app like OneNote, where images (A4, from the internet, whatever) could be stored, as well as typed notes. Typed notes could be formatted with highlighting, fonts, etc.

(it's so wip this part is currently kind of broken but, I'll get there eventually haha)

It started getting interesting, so I brought the domain noterist.com so other people could see it, added accounts and made it look a little nicer. Around a month ago I went through this program at Melbourne Polytechnic (the TAFE like institution) for a couple of weeks called student startup which was cool, ended with a fancy pitch night where I wore a tee shirt with my logo on it, which was beyond awesome.

It's still extremely work in progress, only today did I add password resets via email, which was a big deal for me because I've never coded automatic email sending or resets. Password resets aren't online at noterist.com yet, but they will be probably by tomorrow.

I know website development isn't really as much of a 'creative corner' thing as some of the other posts here, so let me know if there is a better place for this. I wanted to focus on the development, not just the fact it's a tool that some people might be interested in because we're students.

I think I'll try to update this roughly every week or two, though with my biology 3/4 exam coming up I should really spend more time studying that :)
I like programming, engineering and science💻⚙️

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
Re: Mixer's note taking website, 'Noterist' :)
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2018, 11:16:33 pm »
+8
talented. The best programmers solve their own problems they face. You are definitely on the way to success :)

Let me say that website dev is definitely worthy of this section. It's art in its own way

good work mate - love it!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 11:19:16 pm by Aaron »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

5mixer

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2018, 11:23:38 pm »
+4
Thanks for the reply Aaron! Really motivating. I'm glad you think so, I agree that there is a lot of creativity in programming. I just realised that my server was down from the forget password update, just rebooted it then.

Thanks again for your kind words!
I like programming, engineering and science💻⚙️

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2018, 08:53:18 am »
+4
The next year of my course is fairly focused on entrepeneurship & I've been preemptively stressed out about that this year.  Major respect for actually going and doing something -on your own- while balancing VCE.