Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 16, 2024, 08:15:59 pm

Author Topic: Pls help me reduce caffeine intake  (Read 8758 times)

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Pls help me reduce caffeine intake
« on: February 05, 2018, 05:50:51 pm »
+10
Since I started uni (2013), I've been smashing the coffee. At the start of this year, it was at the point where if I didn't have coffee in the morning, I was headachey and generally grumpy. Not good.

I had also been pretty anxious, and figured the coffee wasn't helping, so I decided to get nothing but decaf.

Honestly, I've noticed few if any negative effects from the change. It's a bit more expensive where I go (and I already spend half my earnings on coffee, already - again, not good), but worth it I think. If I have a headache in the morning, a decaf coffee seems to do the trick, anyway. I've also been drinking way more tea, which seems inherently more relaxing for some reason.

So, I've had three caffeinated coffees since I made the charge at the start of this year: one when I went out with my brother, one in the form of an iced latte where I forgot to order decaf, and one as we speak (hah - this is what reminded me to make this thread), which was extremely kindly gifted. :)

I'm going to post updates here if relevant. I figure quite a few people are probably in a similar position. I put this off for ages because I was like, "nah man - that's never gonna work - it'll be horrible" and whatnot. But honestly, it's been pretty sweet. Have been less anxious (not sure if correlation or causation).

Caffeinated coffee: who needs it? 8)

EDIT: Also, if anybody else wants to join me on this journey, feel free to post your own updates in this thread! :)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 05:54:18 pm by Joseph41 »

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
Re: Pls help me reduce caffeine intake
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 05:55:21 pm »
Joseph41 and not drinking coffee? Those words just don't belong in a sentence together. ;)

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 05:57:27 pm »
+2
Joseph41 and not drinking coffee? Those words just don't belong in a sentence together. ;)

Oh, I'm still drinking coffee.

Just - decaf. 8)

kauac

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +291
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 05:59:14 pm »
Since I started uni (2013), I've been smashing the coffee. At the start of this year, it was at the point where if I didn't have coffee in the morning, I was headachey and generally grumpy. Not good.

I had also been pretty anxious, and figured the coffee wasn't helping, so I decided to get nothing but decaf.

Honestly, I've noticed few if any negative effects from the change. It's a bit more expensive where I go (and I already spend half my earnings on coffee, already - again, not good), but worth it I think. If I have a headache in the morning, a decaf coffee seems to do the trick, anyway. I've also been drinking way more tea, which seems inherently more relaxing for some reason.

So, I've had three caffeinated coffees since I made the charge at the start of this year: one when I went out with my brother, one in the form of an iced latte where I forgot to order decaf, and one as we speak (hah - this is what reminded me to make this thread), which was extremely kindly gifted. :)

I'm going to post updates here if relevant. I figure quite a few people are probably in a similar position. I put this off for ages because I was like, "nah man - that's never gonna work - it'll be horrible" and whatnot. But honestly, it's been pretty sweet. Have been less anxious (not sure if correlation or causation).

Caffeinated coffee: who needs it? 8)

Hi...
That's great that you have been able to make the switch!  ;D Just curious, have you noticed any changes in your energy levels since then?
2018: HSC

2019: Gap Year

2020-2024: B Science / M Nutrition & Dietetics @ USYD

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 06:04:12 pm »
+5
Hi...
That's great that you have been able to make the switch!  ;D Just curious, have you noticed any changes in your energy levels since then?

Honestly, not really! I always had a sneaking suspicion that the whole caffeine = energy thing for me was a bit of a placebo, and I think that's shown to be the case (so far). If anything, I'm probably less lethargic.

The most energetic I've ever been was in Year 12, where I drank no coffee, drank heaps of water, and got to bed early haha. Go figure!

kauac

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +291
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 06:14:57 pm »
Honestly, not really! I always had a sneaking suspicion that the whole caffeine = energy thing for me was a bit of a placebo, and I think that's shown to be the case (so far). If anything, I'm probably less lethargic.

The most energetic I've ever been was in Year 12, where I drank no coffee, drank heaps of water, and got to bed early haha. Go figure!

Yeah, that makes sense! I think that drinking coffee has more to do with a psychological fulfillment than actually providing more 'energy' - hence why you haven't really had any adverse effects when you switched to decaf.

I vouch for using natural 'energy', though! Early morning endorphins from exercising seems to work magic for me!  ;D
2018: HSC

2019: Gap Year

2020-2024: B Science / M Nutrition & Dietetics @ USYD

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 06:18:10 pm »
100%!

In saying that, i accidentally left my half-finished coffee at work just now, and I'm a little distraught haha. It's too sunny to walk back. I'm not used to having something to hold on the way home. :'(

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2018, 06:22:43 pm »
+5
Maybe you can read up on the startling unethical sources of a lot of coffee, and then lower your intake even more to only sustainable farmed/produced/sold coffee brands?

Maybe this isn't helpful for getting rid of the headache, but it means getting coffee is a little more inconvenient (for a good cause) and might stop you from getting the extra coffee here or there.
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2018, 06:25:08 pm »
^Great call. I am woefully ignorant in this area. I'll do some research, but do you know if on the whole instant coffee is any better?

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2018, 06:26:59 pm »
+2
I have always thought the headaches in the morning were a result of being dehydrated - coffee is generally the first thing people drink so they assume that it is why they feel better. It's crazy how much of a difference hydration makes, my youngest brother swims a lot and they can never make time cycles that they can swim easily in the afternoon, their coach attributes it entirely due to not drinking during the night.

I never really drank coffee until a couple of months before my bio exam. It got really bad (2 iced coffees at 5pm sort of bad), I had mostly stopped drinking coffee over the holidays but now that we're back at school I find myself having one most days. I'm trying to stop it (I have only had them in the mornings), I had a juice today instead (and it was cheaper too). My problem is I don't like soft drink and juice is too sweet to drink more than occasionally so if I want to buy a cold drink i'm left with either flavoured milk or iced coffee. I'm definitely not planning on having coffee in the afternoon any more and hopefully I can stop buying coffee (and use the instant stuff instead). It's so expensive!
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2018, 06:29:06 pm »
+4
^Great call. I am woefully ignorant in this area. I'll do some research, but do you know if on the whole instant coffee is any better?

I'm researching it for a story right now actually, so I can let you know!

But my preliminary research is saying instant coffee is cheaper, lower in quality, and the chances of the farmer getting a sustainable or fair income out of it is very unlikely for those reasons.

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +1632
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2018, 08:09:10 pm »
Soooolid work Nick. :]

Offtopic:

Maybe you can read up on the startling unethical sources of a lot of coffee, and then lower your intake even more to only sustainable farmed/produced/sold coffee brands?

This stuff freaks the fuck out of me.  I can't research anything behind my food or clothes or transport or anything anymore because I become so afraid of causing harm through everything I ever do and it paralyses me.  I also get into complex internal debates over the subtler nuances of these questions - like, sweatshops can be beneficial and aren't necessarily more harmful than other options, and I don't trust the simplistic facts I'm presented with.
VCE (2014): HHD, Bio, English, T&T, Methods

Uni (2021-24): Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash Clayton

Work: PCA in residential aged care

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2018, 09:32:49 am »
+8
Soooolid work Nick. :]

Offtopic:

This stuff freaks the fuck out of me.  I can't research anything behind my food or clothes or transport or anything anymore because I become so afraid of causing harm through everything I ever do and it paralyses me.  I also get into complex internal debates over the subtler nuances of these questions - like, sweatshops can be beneficial and aren't necessarily more harmful than other options, and I don't trust the simplistic facts I'm presented with.

I definitely know what you're saying. I've tried to implement a lot of new and small things this year especially (toxin-free deodorant, vegetarianism, no takeaway coffee cups, I've even ordered the shampoo bar from Lush that doesn't have any packaging (review yet to come)!) but the very crux of the matter for me is the oxymoron that is "ethical capitalism" in a lot of ways - especially when there isn't transparency in the entire production, packaging and retailing process. So you might think you're supporting something good but it's actually more harmful in a part of the process you don't yet realise.

But I'm finding the more small actions I take, the more conversation I can have about these things, which seems to lead to others making small changes, and they really can add up. As consumers we can send a very powerful message to suppliers about the products we will and won't buy, and that's an incredible tool. Especially when it comes to coffee, which is peaking in popularity in Australia.

I'm also finding that when it seems like a company is doing the right thing, or trying to do the right thing, they usually are.
But this isn't a hard and fast rule. I mean, Cotton On asks you if you want to donate the 5c (all of their items seem to end in $#.95) to charity to help developing nations, but they don't even have complete transparency in their production process (and I think the quality is very poor for a singlet you pay $40 for that didn't even come close to that amount in production cost). They really irk me.

But back to coffee, I seem to think brands are becoming more proud to boast of their certification scheme badges which does make things easier for consumers to make those decisions.

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2018, 04:32:58 pm »
+10
Today's the first day I've really struggled without the coffee. I've had a headache all day - one of those ones where it feels like bricks are being pushed into either side of your head. Usually caffeine kinda fixes it for me, but I'm pushing through without. 👍

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2018, 12:20:24 pm »
+3
Went out for coffee this morning with a friend before work. He ordered, I forget to specify decaf.

Having caffeinated coffee has made me approve further of my decision to cut it out. I'm fine but like, there's a noticeable effect that I've been free from since several weeks ago. Underlying angst or something.