Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 02:09:59 am

Poll

Which textbook is the best for VCE Legal Studies?

Justice & Outcomes (Oxford)
67 (77.9%)
Making & Breaking the Law (VCTA/Macmillan)
4 (4.7%)
Essential VCE Legal Studies (Cambridge)
9 (10.5%)
Key Concepts in VCE Legal Studies (Jacaranda)
6 (7%)

Total Members Voted: 84

Author Topic: Legal Studies Textbooks  (Read 4695 times)  Share 

Glasses

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Disclaimer: I wear contact lenses now.
  • Respect: +186
Legal Studies Textbooks
« on: March 13, 2016, 09:56:10 pm »
Hey guys,
So just out of curiosity, I was wondering which legal textbook you think is the best. I understand that most people wouldn't have seen every textbook; so if you've only seen or used one, pick that one if you'd recommend it :)

I also haven't included additional resources (e.g. - Legal Notes and CPAP Legal) - but if you'd like to comment on these, feel free to post.
2015 - 2016 (VCE): Psychology, Religion & Society, Legal Studies, Business Management, Literature and English
2017 - Present: Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Arts (Criminology & Psychology) @ Monash University

Aug 2016 - Sep 2018: VIC State Moderator

HasibA

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +26
Re: Legal Studies Textbooks
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2016, 10:35:31 pm »
+1
hey bro, most examiners i know recommend justice and outcomes purely because the people who wrote the book also examined legal studies as assessor and exam creators for many years! If you can, get the little white A+ notes. Justice and Outcomes and A+ notes are such a good combo, if you use them properly i'm sure they will get you a high score! :D

(i've looked through all of those textbooks mentioned last year, hence why i'm so opinionated)
Uni and life

Glasses

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2016, 11:47:57 pm »
+1
hey bro, most examiners i know recommend justice and outcomes purely because the people who wrote the book also examined legal studies as assessor and exam creators for many years! If you can, get the little white A+ notes. Justice and Outcomes and A+ notes are such a good combo, if you use them properly i'm sure they will get you a high score! :D

(i've looked through all of those textbooks mentioned last year, hence why i'm so opinionated)

That is the exact combination I have and am using - Justice & Outcomes and A+ Notes.
Thank you x10  :D
2015 - 2016 (VCE): Psychology, Religion & Society, Legal Studies, Business Management, Literature and English
2017 - Present: Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Arts (Criminology & Psychology) @ Monash University

meganrobyn

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 09:11:02 am »
I write the CPAP one and it's intended to be a stand-alone textbook, only structured along the lines of how your summary notes should be structured more than a traditional textbook is - so I'm biased but I think you should include it! ;)
[Update: full for 2018.] I give Legal lectures through CPAP, and am an author for the CPAP 'Legal Fundamentals' textbook and the Legal 3/4 Study Guide.
Available for private tutoring in English and Legal Studies.
Experience in Legal 3/4 assessing; author of Legal textbook; degrees in Law and English; VCE teaching experience in Legal Studies and English. Legal Studies [50] English [50] way back when.
Good luck!

Glasses

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 11:59:20 am »
I write the CPAP one and it's intended to be a stand-alone textbook, only structured along the lines of how your summary notes should be structured more than a traditional textbook is - so I'm biased but I think you should include it! ;)

Hahaha, well I intend on buying it when I go to the CPAP legal lecture in June  :D
Is there anything you can tell me about the lectures (I'm assuming you teach the legal one :) )

meganrobyn

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2016, 12:59:23 pm »
Hahaha, well I intend on buying it when I go to the CPAP legal lecture in June  :D
Is there anything you can tell me about the lectures (I'm assuming you teach the legal one :) )

Woo! And this year's is a good edition, I think. I'm happy with the updates.

The thing about the CPAP programs is that I do exactly what is on the advertising material - and sometimes people don't read that in full, so they're disappointed. For example, the June lecture is an overview of Unit 3 content with some detail on tricky parts, then a pre-teaching of Unit 4 (with a bit more detail for the first outcome than for the second). So we don't go through exam questions at that stage. At the end of the year I do another content lecture (for the whole year), but I also do a one-day workshop where we *don't* do content: instead, we go through structuring answers, marking sample answers and writing answers (and cross-marking). But I assume content knowledge as a given. Then the final lecture is an exam prep one, where we do content overview, past tricky exam questions, common errors, etc.
[Update: full for 2018.] I give Legal lectures through CPAP, and am an author for the CPAP 'Legal Fundamentals' textbook and the Legal 3/4 Study Guide.
Available for private tutoring in English and Legal Studies.
Experience in Legal 3/4 assessing; author of Legal textbook; degrees in Law and English; VCE teaching experience in Legal Studies and English. Legal Studies [50] English [50] way back when.
Good luck!