Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 07:02:10 pm

Author Topic: English Extension 1 Question Thread  (Read 151116 times)  Share 

carolinewang206

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +2
  • School: Barrenjoey
  • School Grad Year: 2017
Re: English Extension 1 Question Thread
« Reply #300 on: October 28, 2017, 03:43:00 pm »
how much is everyone planning on writing? I'm worried I'm doing too much, essay is 2200 and creative 1800.. time's not an issue, usually have between 8 and 15 minutes leftover, but as long as I'm on topic is that fine? xx

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
  • Respect: +126
« Reply #301 on: October 28, 2017, 03:45:14 pm »
how much is everyone planning on writing? I'm worried I'm doing too much, essay is 2200 and creative 1800.. time's not an issue, usually have between 8 and 15 minutes leftover, but as long as I'm on topic is that fine? xx

My essay was a similar amount but I was sort of worried so cut it down to 1900, and my creative is 1500. I think if you are confident that you can finish on time and avoid going on a tangent then 100% write to the full capacity of your materials, will look very impressive too! How big is your writing/how many pages do you usually fill up?
HSC subjects
Advanced English | Extension 1 English | Extension 2 English | Legal Studies | PDHPE | Society and Culture | General 2 Maths

Need HSC tutoring, mentoring or essay marking? I'm offering all of that online! Check out all the offers, pricing and details here https://bandsevenhsctutoring.wordpress.com/blog/ and feel free to get in contact with me if you want any more info :)

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +312
« Reply #302 on: October 28, 2017, 03:48:41 pm »

I'm doing around 1.7-1.8k for essay and 1.4-1.5k for the creative. I'd be worried for you moreso just about the fact that the stimulus and questions can be quite specific so you need to make sure that you do have time (perhaps that 8-15 you usually have left over) to make sure you are explicitly adapting and answering what is set as the question. As you said, if your essay is that long, make sure you are making a point with everything you are saying and not being too repetitive :) For the creative, 1800 is definitely heaps (mines around 1.4-1.5k) but as long as its not heaps of description and moreso that many words to explore the complexity of romanticism or to fit in as many ideas as possible that's fine too! :) Just think of it like a discovery creative - you are essentially trying to fulfill bits of the rubric with every sentence! So make sure you are reflecting the ways of thinking of the romantic era in the majority of your sentences! Other than that yeah its all g as long as you have time to adapt to the painfully specific questions haha :) I could probably write more for the essay and creative eg. today i just did a practice essay and did 11pgs in 55 minutes so if i pushed (seeing my creative could get done in 45 or so) i could do heaps more but as i said i think it is about not just writing and writing but also taking time to still think and make sure what you write answers the question and is directly related to what is set :)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 03:50:17 pm by dancing phalanges »
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

Download our free discovery trial paper!

carolinewang206

• Forum Regular
« Reply #303 on: October 28, 2017, 04:05:38 pm »
My essay was a similar amount but I was sort of worried so cut it down to 1900, and my creative is 1500. I think if you are confident that you can finish on time and avoid going on a tangent then 100% write to the full capacity of your materials, will look very impressive too! How big is your writing/how many pages do you usually fill up?

in exam booklet pages, i generally write bigger just because the lines are bigger so essay ends up being about 19 pages and creative around 16! thank you! :)

I'm doing around 1.7-1.8k for essay and 1.4-1.5k for the creative. I'd be worried for you moreso just about the fact that the stimulus and questions can be quite specific so you need to make sure that you do have time (perhaps that 8-15 you usually have left over) to make sure you are explicitly adapting and answering what is set as the question. As you said, if your essay is that long, make sure you are making a point with everything you are saying and not being too repetitive :) For the creative, 1800 is definitely heaps (mines around 1.4-1.5k) but as long as its not heaps of description and moreso that many words to explore the complexity of romanticism or to fit in as many ideas as possible that's fine too! :) Just think of it like a discovery creative - you are essentially trying to fulfill bits of the rubric with every sentence! So make sure you are reflecting the ways of thinking of the romantic era in the majority of your sentences! Other than that yeah its all g as long as you have time to adapt to the painfully specific questions haha :) I could probably write more for the essay and creative eg. today i just did a practice essay and did 11pgs in 55 minutes so if i pushed (seeing my creative could get done in 45 or so) i could do heaps more but as i said i think it is about not just writing and writing but also taking time to still think and make sure what you write answers the question and is directly related to what is set :)

The time taken is practices during which ive been responding to questions as well, so its 8-15 leftover is including the time thinking about how I'm going to incorporate various stimuli and elements of the question. The essay is all good in terms of not going off topic. My creative increased in length a lot from trials because I've added in more elements, strengthening motifs and covering the whole rubric and all that good stuff. Most questions I've been able to adapt pretty easily to, the only one I've had trouble with was last years ahaha, so would definitely need a bit of time to think about a question like that! What do you think the questions will be on this year? I think for the creative maybe something about the relationship between two romantic paradigms, (maybe the imagination and idealism?) with a visual stimulus, then the essay I have no idea but I hope they don't do the same question for all of the 'texts and ways of thinking' electives like they did last year!!

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
« Reply #304 on: October 28, 2017, 04:18:13 pm »
in exam booklet pages, i generally write bigger just because the lines are bigger so essay ends up being about 19 pages and creative around 16! thank you! :)

The time taken is practices during which ive been responding to questions as well, so its 8-15 leftover is including the time thinking about how I'm going to incorporate various stimuli and elements of the question. The essay is all good in terms of not going off topic. My creative increased in length a lot from trials because I've added in more elements, strengthening motifs and covering the whole rubric and all that good stuff. Most questions I've been able to adapt pretty easily to, the only one I've had trouble with was last years ahaha, so would definitely need a bit of time to think about a question like that! What do you think the questions will be on this year? I think for the creative maybe something about the relationship between two romantic paradigms, (maybe the imagination and idealism?) with a visual stimulus, then the essay I have no idea but I hope they don't do the same question for all of the 'texts and ways of thinking' electives like they did last year!!

I personally loved last year's question! My least favourite question is this one: In Romanticism, composers not only transform human experience through imagination but also manipulate textual forms and features in response to their times. Evaluate this statement. > SO MANY COMPONENTS!
For predictions:
Creative - I think will be to include a significant historical event or figure and explore how Romanticism deals with elements of protest/change.
Essay - Harder to predict but I'm thinking maybe a quote on individualism and how Romanticism explores the spirit of individualism. However, if they wanted to keep it similar to the creative I'm guessing it may be similar to my trial question R.E how Romanticism is a protest against historical events/prevailing ideas

Also, one part of the rubric they have not tested in the essay yet is the bit about: "The individual's pursuit for meaning and truth" so perhaps it could be: To what extent was the Romantic period concerned with the individual's search for truth and meaning? That would be a great question haha - nice and broad
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 04:47:19 pm by dancing phalanges »
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

justwannawish

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +41
« Reply #305 on: October 28, 2017, 06:47:03 pm »
Essentially, yes to all of the above! I learned how to write my Extension One English essay based off this guide (like, one of the only guides on AN about English when I did my HSC :')) and at first thought, ghee whiz that is so tightly structured but it works. Then two weeks before my exam I changed my entire structure from the most simplistic essay ever (completely non-integrated, like, one text per paragraph with one idea for each, no interaction between texts at all.) and worked at it every day to integrate it without being convoluted. I wouldn't mention the four texts in the one paragraph except for the intro. I think approaching one text per paragraph isn't a bad idea at all, especially if that is how you find it easiest to make the links - because afterall, cohesion is a part of the marking criteria! :)

Hello again ;) Well, a historical "event" I suppose implies a specific moment or happening, whereas a "significant period in history" would be more broad. So I think it really comes down to that wording. But the letter could be an excellent way to back yourself in this situation to provide enough for it to hit the stimulus. As for your second hypothetical stimulus, I also think that would be ok. E1 markers are creative and will see and note the links you make I'm sure, and they'll recognise your creative license to deviate from historical truth at times in order to promote the agenda they want from you in the exam. It really sounds like you've covered all bases here!

Hello and WELCOME to the forums! :)
I didn't like the Spy :( I read it and dragggged myself through it and when I got to the end I cried on the final pages. Like just a few tears, nothing too deep. I personally struggled to keep up with the characters and their interactions, I ultimately thought it was boring. What I did enjoy, were the few times there was a glimpse of real humanism, and the few great metaphors. So there's a scene with two trucks and a small car coming together in a collision, and then it kind of just vanishes in importance, but comes up again later. That amused me and I enjoyed it. But for the most part - I recommend just getting through it, and then you can go back and appreciate certain parts. The most human choices come towards the end of the novel, which is the part I could relate to and enjoy most. So hang in there!!

Hahaha, interesting, not weird ;) Yes, all of this sounds great and you're thinking clearly about important events and links which is the main thing! No matter what, if you are making conscious clear links (this means in an exam room, taking a breathe and thennnn going for it), then you will be satisfying the criteria.

Hey Elyse,

Just wondering if I could use my discovery story and change the persona to Oppheimer if the stimulus required a historical figure? For an historical event, if it has to be specific, could I start with the dropping of the bomb and perhaps include some tensions from the war itself, or maybe have a couple of the Cuban Missile Crisis tensions entwined in the piece?

Do you have any suggestions on how to smoothly integrate it to my original creative?

Good luck for your exams :)

taylorlucy

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #306 on: October 28, 2017, 10:41:07 pm »
Hi all! I do science fiction which is basically rendered non-existent in comparison to other electives, and I'm not sure how many people reading this will have studied sci fi too, but I'm going to post my creative piece here mostly because I need a title for it! This version of it is a little rough (there may be some tense issues as it is an edit of two slightly different stories being put into one story), and of course any feedback is very warmly welcomed, though I'm not posting it in the creative marking thread as I don't know what the post count for feedback is now? Anyway, if anyone could give it a quick skim and throw me some title ideas and any thoughts on improving the story, that would be so amazing! Thanks!  :)

Spoiler
To whoever you may be - in whatever past or future or world - if this letter has managed to reach you then it is essential that you read it to the end. My findings in the past 20-odd hours are absolutely fundamental to understanding the events unfolding in whatever society you are a part of. I implore you to do whatever you can to alert people in your time to the truth.
I must start with an introduction. My name is Francis Lalor, and it is presently April the 23rd, 2049. I work at Endine Consulting and Finances, commonly known as ECF. ECF is headed by Damien Endine: a man who is a household name in my world, but whether he even exists in your time I cannot know. Mr Endine paints himself as a God, but he is far from that – he is behind the demolition of all societies, in every past, every present and every future
The story starts yesterday morning, as I rode the elevator to the 38th floor of the ECF complex, my work bag slung over one shoulder and a coffee in each hand. As a first year associate, I had assumed being dubbed coffee-boy was merely a necessary part of the job; a nuisance; but I now realise it is because Mr Endine wants only his most ignorant employees to be anywhere near his private rooms. 
Yesterday was the first day that Mr Endine did not answer my 9am knock on his door.  Thinking no further, I proceeded into his room to place his coffee on his desk and leave. 
It was immediately evident that something was wrong. Upon entering the room, I was met with a dimly lit assortment of computers, files and locked drawers, but to my greatest surprise was the huge, transparent screen taking up the entire left wall of the room, that I realised to be Mr Endine's own lightscreen.
I should interrupt my own recount here to explain what a lightscreen actually is, because if you are in the past you will not have founded this technology yet and if you are in the future you may be so far beyond it that it is unrecognisable to you. Each citizen working in business in 2049, especially data analytics, possesses a light screen – a sheet of reinforced glass that contains all of one’s personal and professional data and necessary technology. Most peoples’ lightscreens are usually the size of an A4 sheet of paper, which is the government-allocated size. I've some as big as an A3 size belonging to citizens of higher social status. 
Mr Endine’s lightscreen had been left on, and so the whole wall was lit up with constantly moving numbers, notes, emails and data. Taken aback by the sheer scale and unfamiliarity of the screen, my curiosity caused me to linger longer than I should have. It only took a few seconds of scanning the information on the screen, however, to realise that none of it had anything to do with consulting or finance – and in fact all of the data was scientific, displaying variables, population counts and ‘experiment success’ rates. 
Before I could think twice, I had pulled my own lightscreen from my bag and aligned it with the edge of the wall – a function that allows multiscreening. The data instantly began displaying on my own device: data I knew it would retain for me to observe later. I managed 1 minute and 42 seconds worth of data collection before I heard the elevator arrive at the end of hall. I threw my lightscreen into my bag and hurried to the door. 
Holding both coffees once more, and standing outside the door as if I had been there all along, I had tried to seem as inconspicuous as possible. Mr Endine met me with an uncharacteristically hostile greeting - "You didn't go in there, did you?", to which I simply said "no". "Good", he replied, before whisking himself away into his room of secrets. He was a man who was hiding something.
I now sit in my own office at ECF, looking out my window to the empty street below me. The time reads 3:53am, marking over 18 hours spent analysing 102 seconds worth of collected data. My findings are as follows:
Mr Endine is a figurehead for the company who makes lightscreens, which is said to be a government-run enterprise but isn't: they go under the name of RFA, though it is unknown to me what this stands for. RFA utilises ECF, Mr Endine's faux-company, and many other similar corporations, to integrate lightscreens into the lives of employees. The glass of lightscreens is semi-permeable, absorbing dead skin cells on its surface and analysing them invisibly, sending all of the data they collect to RFA for processing, building a database of the genetic information of thousands of people. 
Where this comes into effect, however, is with the RFA's ability to manipulate the legitimate flow of time. They have formulae that will go to any specified second of any day that is any number of years to or from now, and can transmit information back and forth from the selected time within seconds. Because of this, there is no 'present' - my present exists simultaneously to yours, wherever you are.
This time travel technology works in conjunction with the RFA's collection of genetic information, as this DNA is analysed and then sent to the 'past'. So take, for example, Worker A. When Worker A is employed in any RFA facility, he is constantly being assessed, and a complete map of his chromosomal structure is constructed within only a few days of him first touching a lightscreen. This information is analysed, alongside the performance and potential of the individual at hand. The RFA then travel back in time to alter these scientific facts, which creates real time aberrations as a desired gene is inserted as a recessive allele in the DNA of Worker A's ancestor under the guise of ‘routine injections’ or an ‘annual doctor’s check-up’. This change will alter every offspring of that person as they exist in their own present time, and ultimately will be seen in Worker A's phenotype, as desired. 
Through this, the RFA handpick their employees, either genetically altering them to become hyper-intelligent and a leader of their oligarchy, or causing them to fall out of the company's ranks due to heart disease or chronic fatigue or whatever disease has been inserted into their DNA. Not only is Worker A's career dictated by this process, but his whole existence is at stake. You are a worker A; I am a Worker A.
The overall aim is to divide every society, in every past, present and future, into an elite, time-transcending oligarchy that rules a mass of unsuspecting citizens. It seems that their only true motives are as simple as that – power for the sake of power. They will, in fact, I'm sure in some time they already have created a monopoly on world finance and trade, becoming an unsurmountable supergiant under which every citizen will lose control of their lives. Perhaps in your time, you are already suffering.
This is, of course, only what I have found in my time. The RFA ultimately exists in every time period, controlling every possible situation that has arisen or may arise. There is a future somewhere, that already knows what has become of me. 
My life is surely in danger as I send this. I am sure the RFA itself will soon intercept this message, but hopefully not before someone who is in a position to help does. I do not know if I will exist tomorrow, or in your time, but all I can hope is that I become the coffee-boy who begins the process of bringing down the RFA's empire.
Your colleague, in every time,
Francis.

2017 HSC: Advanced English / Extension 1 English / Mathematics / Extension 1 Maths / Biology / Visual Arts

ATAR: 93.55

carolinewang206

• Forum Regular
« Reply #307 on: October 28, 2017, 11:47:43 pm »
I personally loved last year's question! My least favourite question is this one: In Romanticism, composers not only transform human experience through imagination but also manipulate textual forms and features in response to their times. Evaluate this statement. > SO MANY COMPONENTS!
For predictions:
Creative - I think will be to include a significant historical event or figure and explore how Romanticism deals with elements of protest/change.
Essay - Harder to predict but I'm thinking maybe a quote on individualism and how Romanticism explores the spirit of individualism. However, if they wanted to keep it similar to the creative I'm guessing it may be similar to my trial question R.E how Romanticism is a protest against historical events/prevailing ideas

Also, one part of the rubric they have not tested in the essay yet is the bit about: "The individual's pursuit for meaning and truth" so perhaps it could be: To what extent was the Romantic period concerned with the individual's search for truth and meaning? That would be a great question haha - nice and broad

I agree, something about individualism would be soo good! Do you mean the essay or the creative question? Essay was ok but the creative was insane ahah. I really like the one about textual forms actually, I talk about that a fair bit in my essay already. Something about protest and change may be too similar to the 2015 question (the one about the restless spirit breaking though old and confining forms), but would still be a great question, fingers crossed it's interesting but not impossible

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
« Reply #308 on: October 29, 2017, 08:53:41 am »
I agree, something about individualism would be soo good! Do you mean the essay or the creative question? Essay was ok but the creative was insane ahah. I really like the one about textual forms actually, I talk about that a fair bit in my essay already. Something about protest and change may be too similar to the 2015 question (the one about the restless spirit breaking though old and confining forms), but would still be a great question, fingers crossed it's interesting but not impossible

Yeah textual form is easy enough to mention but also I do Wuthering Heights as one of my related texts and it doesnt contain strong references to the imagination haha! and it was the 2016 essay question not creative- that would have been so hard to come up with on the spot but luckily we can prepare now :)

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
« Reply #309 on: October 29, 2017, 01:10:36 pm »
Hey guys so I've been able to link Wuthering Heights to the imagination - does this sound right because I wanted to keep most of my existing info and then have one quote in case the essay is about imagination:
I would discuss how Bronte explores through the characters of Catherine and Heathcliff the intense emotions and subjectivity of the Romantic movement. Then demonstrate the power of the imagination in allowing Heathcliff to transcend Catherine's death and imagine that she is still with him, thus gaining emotional and spiritual fulfillment. Contrast with Enlightenment way of thinking and how the imagination challenged the Enlightenment championing of reason/rationality (e.g Heathcliff's feeling that Catherine is still with him despite being dead quite evidently challenges rational thinking)
That would be the essence - hopefully it sounds good? :)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 04:55:38 pm by dancing phalanges »

Mary_a

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #310 on: October 29, 2017, 02:09:27 pm »
Yeah textual form is easy enough to mention but also I do Wuthering Heights as one of my related texts and it doesnt contain strong references to the imagination haha! and it was the 2016 essay question not creative- that would have been so hard to come up with on the spot but luckily we can prepare now :)

I think you make really great points about what they could be, I would love one about the pursuit of meaning and truth but I have a feeling it will be an enduring value question, it was done in 2010, but most of the questions have been very context and form based and I think they might include one about enduring value either this year or next. My ideal question is one about the individual or human experience!
Hey!
I did the HSC last year (2017) and my 10 units were English Advanced, English Extension 1, English Extension 2, Legal Studies, Maths and Studies of Religion 2. I achieved my ATAR aim of over 90!

I loved tutoring and running essay writing workshops (privately and at InFlow Education) so much that I decided to study a Bachelor of Secondary Education, majoring in English and minoring in Maths!

If you're thinking about tutoring, let me know x

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
« Reply #311 on: October 29, 2017, 03:33:56 pm »
I think you make really great points about what they could be, I would love one about the pursuit of meaning and truth but I have a feeling it will be an enduring value question, it was done in 2010, but most of the questions have been very context and form based and I think they might include one about enduring value either this year or next. My ideal question is one about the individual or human experience!

Enduring value/relevance certainly would throw some people! I tried to think of how to tie Romanticism and its ideas to today and came up with this...

Lime Tree Bower My Prison – In promoting the imagination over reason, the Romantics encouraged individuals to experiment boldly, to question things instead of blindly accepting them – link to perhaps the scientific and technological evolution of today's world as the creative/imaginative expression the Romantics emphasised?
Frankenstein – Warned against man overstepping his boundaries in nature/the dangers of idealism/imagination if man has too much freedom. Can be seen as still relevant to today’s society, foreshadowing the possible consequences of the obsession with technological development and the replacing of human aspects with machines eg. self-serve checkouts (i know this a lame example haha)
Chimney Sweeper – Romanticism influenced today’s political ideology, inviting engagement with the cause of the poor and oppressed.
Wuthering Heights – There still remains a desire to escape from civilised world and retreat into the simplicity of nature (‘get back to nature’ movement during the 1960s in America)
Tintern Abbey – The natural world today is still seen as a calming spirit/has spiritual importance.

What do you think? :) Certainly would be difficult to think of on the spot!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 03:36:06 pm by dancing phalanges »

TheFreeMarketeer

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #312 on: October 29, 2017, 08:09:23 pm »
With Extension 1 essays being the most ambivalent and subject to convoluted questions, I'm surprised some of you are heading in with planned responses.

I actually do have a question - the story I have composed explores the Cold War angst through the famous 1972 Chess World Championship between Bobby Fischer (America) and Boris Spassky (Russia) and how this was a platform for the continuation of the Cold War and the attempts of one nation out-smarting the other.

I feel however that a lot of markers won't understand it and appreciate it, mainly because it is such a niche aspect of history, let alone the Cold War. I also feel that in order to appreciate this story, there is a need to understand, even briefly, the facts surrounding it whereas I feel the markers might just consider it a fabrication.

It's interesting because Bobby Fischer broke a long line of Soviet dominance in chess and was persuaded into playing by Henry Kissinger, a famous US diplomat. In fact, it's stated that Nixon and Brezhnev would watch the matches in their respective offices. Anyway, I don't really mean to ramble but I like the concept and feel it sheds light on an esoteric way in which the Cold War was fought.

Any thoughts guys? Thanks.

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
« Reply #313 on: October 29, 2017, 08:17:53 pm »
+2
With Extension 1 essays being the most ambivalent and subject to convoluted questions, I'm surprised some of you are heading in with planned responses.

I actually do have a question - the story I have composed explores the Cold War angst through the famous 1972 Chess World Championship between Bobby Fischer (America) and Boris Spassky (Russia) and how this was a platform for the continuation of the Cold War and the attempts of one nation out-smarting the other.

I feel however that a lot of markers won't understand it and appreciate it, mainly because it is such a niche aspect of history, let alone the Cold War. I also feel that in order to appreciate this story, there is a need to understand, even briefly, the facts surrounding it whereas I feel the markers might just consider it a fabrication.

It's interesting because Bobby Fischer broke a long line of Soviet dominance in chess and was persuaded into playing by Henry Kissinger, a famous US diplomat. In fact, it's stated that Nixon and Brezhnev would watch the matches in their respective offices. Anyway, I don't really mean to ramble but I like the concept and feel it sheds light on an esoteric way in which the Cold War was fought.

Any thoughts guys? Thanks.

Hey! I think most of us here are just memorising quotes for the essay! Most of us, however, are going in with a prepared creative because it is hard unless you are gifted to write in the style of the period on the spot, but of course it's important to write something adaptable and to know how to adapt it to all the stimulus's that have been tested so far. As to your question I would say that if your story is highly different that could seriously work in your favour as markers mark so many papers and would likely find your story highly original and sophisticated. I am speaking from a Romantic student's view though so maybe someone who does your elective will disagree, but that's my thoughts!

icedragon66

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Normanhurst Boys High School
« Reply #314 on: October 29, 2017, 09:13:05 pm »
Hey! What do you guys think about this structure for sci-fi?
1 Poem Rocket
2 Dune
3 Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
4 Blade Runner
5 Hitchhikers and Poem Rocket Integrated with the same idea
6 Bladerunner and Dune Integrated with the same idea

The texts go in chronological order. I can only write about 1.5k, so my integrated paragraphs are shorter.

Thanks!