Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 11:33:31 pm

Author Topic: VCE Chemistry Question Thread  (Read 2313108 times)  Share 

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: VCE Chemistry Question Thread
« Reply #9060 on: March 06, 2021, 08:21:53 am »
+4
Hi everyone! My practical report SAC is coming up soon and I am absolutely lost on how to approach the discussion. The aim of the experiment is to order six unknown half-cells (A-F) by setting up a galvanic cell for every combination of half-cells and recording the voltages produced.

I think I understand the theory behind this practical. However, I don't at all know how I should present my results (currently it's in a two-way table, no graph), and don't know how to write 'observations' (of the data- the rubric says that this should 'compare and contrast the collected data'). I'm also not sure how to separate observations from 'links to chemical concepts', as it seems very difficult to explain the data without references to theory.

I've attached my results for reference. Thanks so much in advance for any help!  :-[

Did you run any replicates? (I can't see replication from the table)

If you need to have a graph you could change the two-way table into a clustered bar chart.

Remember that explaining the results belongs in the discussion; the results section is just for saying what the results are.

miyukiaura

• Trendsetter
  • per aspera ad astra
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #9061 on: March 13, 2021, 02:52:46 pm »
Which is more energy efficient - fuel cells or galvanic cells?
Offering 50 raw English tutoring, PM for details

lm21074

• MOTM: JAN 19
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +594
« Reply #9062 on: March 13, 2021, 08:48:19 pm »
+3
Which is more energy efficient - fuel cells or galvanic cells?
Galvanic cells are more energy efficient (60-90% efficient compared to fuel cells, being 40-60% efficient).

Note that fuel cells can be up to 85% efficient if heat produced by the cell is also used to generate electricity.
2021: VCE
2022: Science / Arts @ Monash

ali6352

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #9063 on: March 15, 2021, 08:01:18 pm »
+1
Hi
I have a SAC coming up about Le chateliers principle and equilibrium where I need to create a mind map linking all the concepts. Can someone help?

beep boop

• Trendsetter
  • studying, what is that?
  • Respect: +45
« Reply #9064 on: March 30, 2021, 08:11:26 pm »
Hi

Does anyone have any tips on how to memorise stuff in chem. The number of formulas and theories just make me want to have my brain explode.

Any help is appreciated.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 04:01:56 pm by beep boop »
class of '22
'21: viet sl [36], bio
'22: psych, methods, spesh, chem, eng lang
"Distance makes the heart grow fonder and proximity makes the heart want to barf."-Mr K, Never have I Ever
yr 12 stuff :)

colline

• MOTM: NOV 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • ♡ 2 Timothy 1:7 ♡
  • Respect: +512
« Reply #9065 on: March 31, 2021, 02:04:42 pm »
+5
Hi

Does anyone have any tips on how to memorise stuff in chem. The number of formulas and theories just make me want to have my explode.

Any help is appreciated.

Wait till you get to reaction pathways...

In all seriousness, I think the easiest and most straightforward way is to just do as many practice questions as you can. There really aren't any ways to hack through it. Eventually, they'll just come naturally.

VCE: Literature [50] Methods [50] Further [48] Chemistry [40] Biology [33]
2022: Bachelor of Science (Mathematical Economics) @ ANU

DBA-144

• MOTM: APR 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +35
« Reply #9066 on: March 31, 2021, 04:55:56 pm »
+4
Hi

Does anyone have any tips on how to memorise stuff in chem. The number of formulas and theories just make me want to have my brain explode.

Any help is appreciated.

What exactly are you having trouble memorising? Honestly, I think that if you can connect everything together, you have to memorise a lot less. Having said that, practice does help, as colline has already mentioned.
PM me for Methods (raw 46) and Chemistry (raw 48) resources (notes, practice SACs, etc.)

I also offer tutoring for these subjects, units 1-4 :)

beep boop

• Trendsetter
  • studying, what is that?
  • Respect: +45
« Reply #9067 on: March 31, 2021, 07:28:38 pm »
What exactly are you having trouble memorising? Honestly, I think that if you can connect everything together, you have to memorise a lot less. Having said that, practice does help, as colline has already mentioned.

Wait till you get to reaction pathways...
In all seriousness, I think the easiest and most straightforward way is to just do as many practice questions as you can. There really aren't any ways to hack through it. Eventually, they'll just come naturally.

Remembering common ions, alkanes, bonding types, forces, all that stuff. There's just a lot of content to remember.
class of '22
'21: viet sl [36], bio
'22: psych, methods, spesh, chem, eng lang
"Distance makes the heart grow fonder and proximity makes the heart want to barf."-Mr K, Never have I Ever
yr 12 stuff :)

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #9068 on: March 31, 2021, 07:42:36 pm »
+6
Remembering common ions, alkanes, bonding types, forces, all that stuff. There's just a lot of content to remember.
Hey! These are from the old (2013-2016) study design but these flashcards have some important chemistry concepts and ion info and may help a little :)
https://atarnotes.com/note/definitions-key-terms-things-remember-2013-2016-sd/
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

miyukiaura

• Trendsetter
  • per aspera ad astra
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #9069 on: April 03, 2021, 01:35:15 pm »
For electrolysis, why does it matter if the electrodes are inert or reactive?
And if you were asked to determine whether an inert or reactive electrode should be used given an electrolytic cell, how would you decide?

Offering 50 raw English tutoring, PM for details

sweetcheeks

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +83
  • School: ---
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #9070 on: April 03, 2021, 02:20:17 pm »
+6
For electrolysis, why does it matter if the electrodes are inert or reactive?
And if you were asked to determine whether an inert or reactive electrode should be used given an electrolytic cell, how would you decide?

What are your thoughts?

Bluebird

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #9071 on: April 04, 2021, 11:36:35 pm »
Can someone explain polar and non-polar covalent bonds to me and explain how NH4+ has polar covalent bonds??????

Chocolatepistachio

• Science Games: Silver
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +51
« Reply #9072 on: April 05, 2021, 09:56:01 am »
+8
Polar means the molecule has an unequal distribution of electrical charge. One end of the molecule has a partial positive charge and the other end has a partial negative charge. Water is polar o is much more electronegative than H electrons are pulled towards the o creating a partial negative charge.

Non polar molecules either have an equal sharing of electrons or the polar bonds are arranged so that their partial charges cancel each other out leaving no overall polarity.
In NH4+ nitrogen is more electronegative than H and pulls electrons towards itself creating a polar covalent bond. Because of its tetrahedral structure the polar covalent bonds cancel each other out and the molecule is non polar.

SmartWorker

• Forum Obsessive
  • Wake determined. Sleep Satisfied.
  • Respect: +79
« Reply #9073 on: April 07, 2021, 01:05:15 pm »
Hi I have a few questions:

- In a transesterification reaction to produce biodiesel, what does it mean that it involves a hydrolysis reaction and an esterification reaction?
- So far i thought that the triglyceride undergoes hydrolysis? Which compound/s undergo hydrolysis and esterification and hydrolysis?
- Can you please verify if I have my 'groupings' correct, bit unsure...

Advice to smash Biology ¾:

2021 VCE - 99.35

Tutoring Bio, Chem, English, Methods 1/2 & 3/4 for 2022. DM if interested

Want some advice for VCE? 👇

https://youtu.be/zq0xsaE9GJ4

Chocolatepistachio

• Science Games: Silver
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +51
« Reply #9074 on: April 07, 2021, 06:03:46 pm »
As you go down a group does the effective nuclear charge increase slightly or does it remain relatively constant 
If iodine has a higher effective nuclear charge then wouldn’t it have a smaller atomic radius