Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 11:08:08 am

Author Topic: Does university matter in terms of employment?  (Read 1060 times)  Share 

pablo98

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Does university matter in terms of employment?
« on: February 07, 2017, 03:25:57 pm »
I am going to Latrobe which seems like a great uni but would an employer rather employ some one from Melb uni rather than some on from Latrobe or rmit

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
Re: Does university matter in terms of employment?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 03:28:04 pm »
In some disciplines - yes, the prestige matters.

However - courses at the undergraduate level are required to teach similar content in order to be accredited and maintain accreditation by the bodies (e.g. Australian Computer Society for the IT and Computer Science disciplines). The main differences between unis at the UG level is the quality of teaching, available resources and so on.

If prestige really matters to you that much - you are able to transfer, provided your existing uni grades are good.

I believe this q has been asked time and time again.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 03:33:23 pm by Aaron »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

pablo98

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 04:18:11 pm »
Thanks Aaron , I am studying commerce/health science , would you be able to do that in Melb uni if my grades are good?

Glasses

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Disclaimer: I wear contact lenses now.
  • Respect: +186
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 05:00:55 pm »
Thanks Aaron , I am studying commerce/health science , would you be able to do that in Melb uni if my grades are good?

I don't think you'd be able to, seeing as Melbourne don't offer double degrees (and because those areas are quite different, they both wouldn't fall under a single degree to be completed as a double major) unfortunately.
If you really wanted to transfer I'd personally go elsewhere (i.e. Monash) but I'm admittedly biased because a) I am quite opposed to the Melbourne Model and b) I like Monash haha
2015 - 2016 (VCE): Psychology, Religion & Society, Legal Studies, Business Management, Literature and English
2017 - Present: Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Arts (Criminology & Psychology) @ Monash University

Aug 2016 - Sep 2018: VIC State Moderator

pablo98

• Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 06:24:15 pm »
Yeah that's what I though as well , since that's the case all I can do is try to achieve the best i can in the double degree , thank you for your help :)