Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:25:33 am

Author Topic: Ignoring the hype surrounding results  (Read 1494 times)  Share 

JR_StudyEd

• MOTM: MAY 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
  • Respect: +171
Ignoring the hype surrounding results
« on: August 23, 2019, 05:11:16 pm »
+1
It's either they complain that they are doing terribly in a subject, or that they show off how they "only" got 90% for the last SAC and how that is soooo bad for them.  ::) Either way, I think fellow Year 12s around me are taking this way too far. I personally don't really care about raw results. I want to keep improving and learn from my numerous mistakes. I want to actually learn something new. Thing is, I can't avoid it. I don't have headphones to block out the noise.  :(

What do you do when everyone around you seems to be overly obsessing about their results to the point where you begin to doubt your own abilities in certain subjects?

« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 09:05:38 pm by JR_StudyEd »
Listens to K-Pop (Twice, Red Velvet, MAMAMOO) and Christmas music all year round.

kimokeeffe

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +4
Re: People are obsessed with their results...and it drives me crazy.
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2019, 05:53:03 pm »
+1
personally, I try to just keep telling myself to focus on what I'm doing and try not to worry about them.
I've also found it super helpful to talk to some other people about it and if its really getting to you, you can try and surround yourself with a different group of people! :))))

ashmi

• MOTM: June 20
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Living an illusion
  • Respect: +660
Re: People are obsessed with their results...and it drives me crazy.
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2019, 06:30:47 pm »
+2
It's either they complain that they are doing terribly in a subject, or that they show off how they "only" got 90% for the last SAC and how that is soooo bad for them.  ::) Either way, I think fellow Year 12s around me are taking this way too far. I personally don't really care about raw results. I want to keep improving and learn from my numerous mistakes. I want to actually learn something new. Thing is, I can't avoid it. I don't have headphones to block out the noise.  :(

What do you do when everyone around you seems to be overly obsessing about their results to the point where you begin to doubt your own abilities in certain subjects?

Sometimes it is good to have a break and focus by yourself! Write some goals that you want to achieve, not what someone else's ideals are. Focus on your own goals and slowly make progress, in the end, you will make it. Sometimes its good to work individually or work with people who are in a similar position to yourself, you could motivate each other to work smarter. Try not to worry about everyone else if you can, try to focus on working to a better version of yourself! :D

JR_StudyEd

• Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
Re: Ignoring the hype surrounding results
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2019, 07:50:13 am »
I am already getting anxious about what ATAR I will (or might) receive, and the official exam period hasn't even started yet. :'( I am really not looking forward to ATAR release day and the bombardment of people asking 'What did you get?'. The hype is building around who will get awards for subjects, and dux. For those moments, I wish I could just float away to a time when school wasn't all about getting a tertiary admissions rank. Remember when school was just a really good excuse to hang out with friends?
Listens to K-Pop (Twice, Red Velvet, MAMAMOO) and Christmas music all year round.

ashmi

• MOTM: June 20
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Living an illusion
  • Respect: +660
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2019, 08:01:29 am »
+1
I am already getting anxious about what ATAR I will (or might) receive, and the official exam period hasn't even started yet. :'( I am really not looking forward to ATAR release day and the bombardment of people asking 'What did you get?'. The hype is building around who will get awards for subjects, and dux. For those moments, I wish I could just float away to a time when school wasn't all about getting a tertiary admissions rank. Remember when school was just a really good excuse to hang out with friends?

I think nearly everyone at this point is feeling very similar to how you feel now. Don't worry, you are not alone! You still have time before the exam to make a huge gamechanger, so try not to worry. Just try to focus on yourself, and if you don't feel comfortable telling people your ATAR, just don't tell them. After all this. there will be a time where you will never have to worry about this again. Try not to worry too much, we are all in this together! :D

JR_StudyEd

• Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2019, 09:25:54 pm »
I feel like this thread should go in the VIC Technical Score Discussion board, but anyway...

Context: I found out that I failed both my recent Methods and Chemistry SACs in the space of a few hours last week. Is there any justifiable reason to compare my results and cohort rankings to other students? What if I wanted to use the rankings and results to gauge how difficult the SAC was, and feel a little bit better for failing? Because if I know that other people failed, I wouldn't feel as bad about myself.