Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 10:41:33 am

Author Topic: Unit 1&2 revision question set  (Read 3710 times)

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Unit 1&2 revision question set
« on: July 25, 2019, 09:21:36 pm »
+4
Hey, below I'm listing questions for each of the topics in units 1&2 to help you with your revision. If you reply back any answers I'll provide feedback and I'll be uploading the answers to this question set next week. Good luck!

click me! I have the questions
1. A student is about to process their data using a statistical test of inference and is unsure whether they should use a paired or unpaired two-sample t-test. Their experiment used a matched participants design.
a) Which t-test should they use? (1)
b) Describe a situation in which using a t-test would not be appropriate for their data (2)
c) They obtained a p-value of 0.03 and wrote “The obtained p-value was less than 0.05 and therefore the null hypothesis was rejected, thus there must be a link between our independent and dependent variable.”  List 2 issues with this statement (2).

a) Draw a sensory neuron, labelling the axon, dendrites, cell body and myelin (5)
b) Would this neuron be found in the somatic nervous system, autonomic nervous system, or both. Explain your answer (3).

a) How might a child be impacted if they weren’t able to learn a skill during its sensitive period? How does this differ from the impacts of being unable to learn the skill during its critical period? (4)
b) What form of attachment is abuse of an infant by a primary caregiver associated with? (1)
c) Why are infants often considered to have greater ability to recover from brain damage than adults? (3)

a) Mary is able to walk her little lamb and play the recorder at the same time. What type of attention is she giving to her lamb? (1)
b) Mary’s parents discover that she has been walking her lamb while asleep. How does the sleep disorder Mary has displayed differ from narcolepsy? (4)
c) Is bright light therapy likely to be an effective tool in reducing this behaviour? Why? (2)

a) Explain the distinction between psychology and psychiatry. (2)
b) Is receiving treatment from a psychologist an aspect of nature or nurture? (3)
c) What is debriefing and when does it occur? (3)

a) What does the Stanford-Binet scale measure? (1)
b) Compare EQ and IQ (4)
c) How are twin studies used to prove evidence about inheritance? (3)

a) If a behaviour is considered normal, how does this influence the probability of it being seen as maladaptive? (2)
b) List the main categories of psychological disorder (4)
c) Is diagnosis infallible? Provide one reason why. (2)

a) Provide an example of a biological risk factor that is not heritable (2)
b) Compare the symptoms of gneralised anxiety disorder and specific phobia (4)
c) Why is it important to use a control group as well as an experimental group in an independent groups experiment design? (3)

a) What does ego orientation mean in the context of motivation theories? (2)
b) What is subjective wellbeing and how does this differ from psychological wellbeing? (3)
c) How is attention directed during mindfulness? (2)
d) Is a person with higher self-efficacy towards a task likely to have higher or lower motivation to complete it than a person with lower self-efficacy. Why? (3)

To respond to this, you'll need to have an account - you can register for one here for free

Edit: I've added the answers as an attachment as planned.  Please note that these are not the only correct answers to the questions - if you're unsure about an answer please reply or send me a message and I'll respond when I can :)
If you can't see/download the attachment make sure you're logged in & it should appear at the bottom of the post.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 10:11:00 pm by Bri MT »