Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 03:16:57 am

Author Topic: Last Minute Questions  (Read 7759 times)  Share 

pyro-53

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +12
  • School: west side
  • School Grad Year: 2012
Re: Last Minute Questions
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2012, 04:04:58 pm »
Ok. Kind of random  :P but can I use "eg." in exam? For example, fight-or-flight responses (eg. increased heart rate) will contribute to develop a phobia.

Also, I tend to scribble around the question before I put down my final question. Is this acceptable in exam?
brotip #1849: don't let a bad grade define who you are or what you will become.

icecream

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2012, 04:14:00 pm »
Umm I have a question about the sample vcaa paper. Q9 SA is it asking for LTP and strengthening of neural connections or is it asking about the proliferation, migration etc stuff?

Felicity Wishes

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +43
  • School: Mater Christi College
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2012, 04:15:13 pm »
Umm I have a question about the sample vcaa paper. Q9 SA is it asking for LTP and strengthening of neural connections or is it asking about the proliferation, migration etc stuff?
LTP.
Psychology and psychophysiology (Swinburne)

Limista

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +63
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2012, 04:30:52 pm »
LTP.

Hmm - also specific stages of developmental plasticity (e.g. circuit formation, you could definitely mention proliferation as this has to do with synaptogenesis, circuit pruning is also good to mention) and talk about the sensitive period since Tolga was mentioned to be a baby/toddler from memory. Basically, you're supposed to be talking about the neural connections. It's a pretty broad question, so I can see why there's a bit of confusion  :)
Bachelor of Biomedicine @ The University of Melbourne (II) 2014-2016
Follow me on my blog

Genericname2365

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2012, 04:36:04 pm »
Ok. Kind of random  :P but can I use "eg." in exam? For example, fight-or-flight responses (eg. increased heart rate) will contribute to develop a phobia.

Also, I tend to scribble around the question before I put down my final question. Is this acceptable in exam?
I think both of these are fine (the second one as long as it doesn't make the actual answer difficult to read).
On a related note, "&" probably wouldn't be accepted would it?
ATAR: 93.35
Bachelor of Arts at UoM

Limista

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +63
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2012, 05:07:19 pm »
+2

I think both of these are fine (the second one as long as it doesn't make the actual answer difficult to read).
On a related note, "&" probably wouldn't be accepted would it?

I don't see why not, but I would avoid it, just in case you get some stingy examiner marking your paper  :P
Bachelor of Biomedicine @ The University of Melbourne (II) 2014-2016
Follow me on my blog

Felicity Wishes

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +43
  • School: Mater Christi College
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2012, 05:13:19 pm »
LTP.

Hmm - also specific stages of developmental plasticity (e.g. circuit formation, you could definitely mention proliferation as this has to do with synaptogenesis, circuit pruning is also good to mention) and talk about the sensitive period since Tolga was mentioned to be a baby/toddler from memory. Basically, you're supposed to be talking about the neural connections. It's a pretty broad question, so I can see why there's a bit of confusion  :)
Synaptogenesis is a good one but the question is only two marks so I wouldn't go on for too long.
Psychology and psychophysiology (Swinburne)

icecream

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2012, 06:06:01 pm »
LTP.

LTP.

Ohhhhhh ok thanks guys :D

pyro-53

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2012, 12:01:07 pm »
Anyone know how to draw out a conclusion for this one? There are 3 levels of significance so I'm confused! :(

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2012, 12:11:36 pm »
Last minute? Jesus, I've still got like ten prac exams to go! I'm on my third or fourth minute o.O
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

maggie000

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • School: Santa Maria College
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2012, 12:13:50 pm »
+2
Anyone know how to draw out a conclusion for this one? There are 3 levels of significance so I'm confused! :(

I did this some time, but I can't find the answers.
Anyway, pretty sure it means that the difference between A and B is not significant, the difference between B and C is not significant, but the difference between A and C is significant.
ie. No conclusions can be made about the difference between learning with no background noise than with some background noise, and no conclusions can be made about the difference between learning with some background noise than with loud background noise, but conclusions can be made about the difference between learning with no background noise than with loud background noise (recall is better with no noise).

Sorry that got kinda wordy and messy, but I hope you understand :)

pyro-53

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2012, 12:25:09 pm »

Anyway, pretty sure it means that the difference between A and B is not significant, the difference between B and C is not significant, but the difference between A and C is significant.
ie. No conclusions can be made about the difference between learning with no background noise than with some background noise, and no conclusions can be made about the difference between learning with some background noise than with loud background noise, but conclusions can be made about the difference between learning with no background noise than with loud background noise (recall is better with no noise).

That's fine! You're life saviour  :)
On the other note, is this repeated measures design? What are some weaknesses of the experimental design in this experiment?

maggie000

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • School: Santa Maria College
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2012, 12:54:02 pm »
+2

On the other note, is this repeated measures design? What are some weaknesses of the experimental design in this experiment?

It is repeated measures, and I think you could talk about that as a weakness. The participants may have developed strategies for easier recall (practice effect). The fact that they knew what all the conditions were means they were probably able to guess what the hypothesis was, and hence may try to fulfil it or even go against it. A matched participants study design would be better. This would also allow for the same list of 40 words to be used, eliminating the chance of some words having greater meaning to the participants, and hence being easier to remember.
Another weakness is non-standardised delivery of instructions, as different assistants were used for each trial. Differences in tone, volume or speed could make a difference in how easily the lists could be learned.
You could also mention the fact that it is verbal noise, meaning it would be significantly more distracting if you could understand what was being said, so this would have affect if the conversation was loud enough to understand in trial C but not in trial C. This could be minimised by using meaningless noise instead.

Genericname2365

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2012, 01:27:29 pm »
+1
General adaptation syndrome (GAS) is a three-stage physiological stress response that occurs regardless of the stressor that is encountered.
Is this an acceptable definition?
ATAR: 93.35
Bachelor of Arts at UoM

pyro-53

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2012, 01:35:53 pm »

It is repeated measures, and I think you could talk about that as a weakness. The participants may have developed strategies for easier recall (practice effect). The fact that they knew what all the conditions were means they were probably able to guess what the hypothesis was, and hence may try to fulfil it or even go against it. A matched participants study design would be better. This would also allow for the same list of 40 words to be used, eliminating the chance of some words having greater meaning to the participants, and hence being easier to remember.
Another weakness is non-standardised delivery of instructions, as different assistants were used for each trial. Differences in tone, volume or speed could make a difference in how easily the lists could be learned.
You could also mention the fact that it is verbal noise, meaning it would be significantly more distracting if you could understand what was being said, so this would have affect if the conversation was loud enough to understand in trial C but not in trial C. This could be minimised by using meaningless noise instead.

fantastic! thanks so much! :) :) :)