Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 01:40:14 pm

Author Topic: 2012 Unit 3 Question Thread.  (Read 9828 times)  Share 

monkeywantsabanana

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • An eye for an eye will make us all blind.
  • Respect: +55
  • School Grad Year: 2012
Re: 2012 Unit 3 Question Thread.
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2012, 06:13:26 pm »
Hey, can anyone explain descriptive and inferential statistics? :)

Descriptive statistics are used to analyse, organise and summarise important features of data so they are more easily interpreted. This includes:
• Mean - the average
• Median - the middle value
• Mode - the most occurring value
+ a whole range of charts, tables, diagrams,

Inferential statistics are mathematical procedures used to judge whether the results for a sample would also occur in the population and used to estimate how likely the results occurred by chance. These are your T-tests, P-values...

Bachelor of Commerce (Economics & Finance)

orangejuice

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2012, 08:15:20 pm »
+1
hey guys, was wondering what is the difference between stratified sampling and stratified-random sampling?
Basically, in stratified sampling once you've split up your population into various segments (i.e. strata) based on a particular characteristic then you need to actually pick participants from each segment. This procedure might be random (giving everyone an equal opportunity to be selected), it might be biased (purposefully picking people who are more likely to support your hypothesis), it might be convenient (pick whoever is available)... Now with stratified-random sampling it involves splitting up the population and then randomly picking participants from each segment.. Whilst with stratified sampling it involves splitting up the population and then picking participants but the selection technique used may be any of the three outlined above (random, biased or convenient)...

So basically stratified random sampling is just giving you more information about the sampling procedure and is more specific than the broader term "stratified sampling" which can incorporate a few different features.
thankyou :) It makes much more sense now!

betruetoyou22

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • "Simplicity is the Ultimate Sophistication"
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2012, 02:16:12 pm »
heyy just wondering what the point of research methods is - like do we need to full on memorize the content ?? also section c of the exam is that just for the first exam or for both??
AVAILABLE FOR TUTORING: F.M - psych - English
FIRST LESSON IS FREE.
0414 018 996 (m)

Slumdawg

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +65
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2012, 02:35:59 pm »
+1
heyy just wondering what the point of research methods is - like do we need to full on memorize the content ?? also section c of the exam is that just for the first exam or for both??
Yes, you must memorise the content. Research methods will feature on both your exams so make sure you understand it properly and learn all the topics... Research methods questions are typically application based, so there's very little regurgitation of information and a lot more applying your understanding to a unique scenario/experiment.

Section C will feature on both your exams as well, ranging from 10-15 marks.
2010 ATAR: 98.35 - Psychology [50] Media Studies [47
2011-'13: Bachelor of Biomedicine [Neuroscience Major] at Melbourne Uni 
2014-'17: Doctor of Medicine (MD) at Melbourne Uni 

Scooby

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +28
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2012, 01:11:43 pm »
Hey, what are the advantages/limitations of random-stratified sampling compared to stratified sampling?
2012-2013: VCE - Biology [50]
2015-2017: Bachelor of Science (Pharmacology & Physiology) @ Monash
2018-2021: Doctor of Medicine @ Melbourne

Tutoring Biology in 2019. Send me a PM if you're interested! :)

emily_year11

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2012, 03:37:27 pm »
This is not entirely unrelatable to the subject, but I have a question.

I've done 2 SAC's so far for Unit 3 (Stroop Effect ERA and Consciousness/Sleep/Brain and CNS) and i've gotten an A+ (which I found was 98%) and an A (which I believe to be mid 80s).

If I were to be consistent and get these kind of marks for the rest of the course, what would my study score be?

:)

lauren.kate

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2012, 07:17:14 pm »
im trying to divide unit 3 into eight sections for revision, any suggestions on how i could do this ?!

ktrah

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2012, 08:29:58 pm »
im trying to divide unit 3 into eight sections for revision, any suggestions on how i could do this ?!

Possibly:
- Research methods
- States of consciousness
- Methods used to study sleep and alertness
- Other sleep stuff
- The CNS
- The PNS
- Memory formation and models
- Forgetting and improving memory

Could someone please clarify the three different experimental designs for me (repeated-measures, independent-groups, matched-participants)? If half the class surveyed someone with the questions from 1-20, and the other half of the class surveyed someone with the questions from 20-1, what experimental design would that be? Thanks in advance!

Genericname2365

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2012, 10:02:52 pm »
Could someone please clarify the three different experimental designs for me (repeated-measures, independent-groups, matched-participants)? If half the class surveyed someone with the questions from 1-20, and the other half of the class surveyed someone with the questions from 20-1, what experimental design would that be? Thanks in advance!
To me that sounds like independent-groups, as I'm assuming the person doing questions 1-20 is in the control group?

Repeated-measures is where each participant is involved in both the experimental and control conditions of an experiment. Matched-participants is where pairs are selected based on important characteristics that both share, then one member is randomly allocated to either the control or experimental group. Independent groups is where each participant is randomly allocated to either the control or experimental group, and each participant is in one group only.
ATAR: 93.35
Bachelor of Arts at UoM

ktrah

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2012, 04:25:31 pm »
Thanks for your response! We were all really confused because our experiment didn't actually have a control group, but today our teacher hinted that it was repeated-measures because the participants were involved in all the tasks.

Genericname2365

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2012, 02:34:16 pm »
Can the parasympathetic and sympathetic nervous systems both be active at the same time?
Bachelor of Arts at UoM

emilyhobbes

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +4
  • School: Caulfield Grammar School
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2012, 03:12:39 pm »
yes, they can, it's just that one's normally more dominant  :)
2012: Methods (49) and Psych (50)
2013: English (47), English Language (49), Chem (44) and Spesh (47)
ATAR: 99.95
UMAT: 99th%
Tutoring in 2014

vashappenin

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +31
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2012, 06:46:21 pm »
Okay so i've done like 9 practise exams, and my average score is 87% (when i say practise exams, I mean I've printed out and done all relevant AOSs from the past study design from both unit 3/4 for each year, and I've done it from 2002-2010). Also, my overall sac score is 95% .
Is that good or not? If I keep going at this rate, what score would it get me for my midyear? (As in A+, A, B+, B, etc.)
Thanks (:
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 06:57:26 pm by vashappenin »
2013: English, Maths Methods, Further Maths, Legal Studies, HHD, Psychology
2014-present: Bachelor of Laws @ Monash University

Tutoring VCE English, Psych, Legal Studies and HHD in 2016! Tutoring via Skype too. PM me if you're interested :)

Genericname2365

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2012, 01:23:41 pm »
Okay so i've done like 9 practise exams, and my average score is 87% (when i say practise exams, I mean I've printed out and done all relevant AOSs from the past study design from both unit 3/4 for each year, and I've done it from 2002-2010). Also, my overall sac score is 95% .
Is that good or not? If I keep going at this rate, what score would it get me for my midyear? (As in A+, A, B+, B, etc.)
Thanks (:
Well personally I'd guess A+ but I'm not an expert; perhaps you might be more likely to get a response in the Vic technical discussion board.

Could the Phonological Store or Articulator Control System subsystems of the Phonological loop in the working memory model have a chance of appearing in the exam? I'm guessing not because I've never even seen them in the Grivas textbook (only in a powerpoint my teacher made), but I'm checking just in case.  :P

Bachelor of Arts at UoM

ktrah

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2012, 02:06:40 pm »
Lol never heard of them so I highly doubt it.