Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 11:09:37 pm

Author Topic: Is it too late to turn around biology 1 marks? Advice?  (Read 1784 times)  Share 

thesplaaashman

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Is it too late to turn around biology 1 marks? Advice?
« on: April 16, 2018, 11:54:54 pm »
As someone who didn't do year 12 biology, I am really struggling, and this was emphasised by the extremely crap mark I just got on my module test. Is it too late to turn it around? Any advice you guys can give me to learn this subject haha

huleeer

• Adventurer
Re: Is it too late to turn around biology 1 marks? Advice?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 06:47:30 am »
The key do doing well in biology is flashcards.

rosecookiie

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 12:37:51 pm »
I am in the exact same position as you! I am doing bio as well this year, but never did it in VCE, and I am really struggling - in both module tests I got 55%. I am not really grasping the concepts, instead more rote learning, which I know is not going to help. Given how quickly the course moves (each week is basically a new topic), what are the most effective strategies for really understanding the content, because at the moment bio is really taking up a lot of my time.  :'(
Petit a petit, l’oiseau fait son nid

BNard

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 12:50:21 pm »
I did VCE Bio but still found the first few weeks of Bio 1 challenging.  I lost way more marks than I wanted to on the Module tests and pracs but still got a H1 because I think the exam is very straightforward - mainly just relies upin you remembering concepts and understanding the links between them (plus knowing your way around all the diagrams in the lectures). So don't give up, because the exam can save you, basically.
2017 - 2019: UoM BSci (Path)

thesplaaashman

• Forum Regular
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 08:45:13 pm »
I was in the same boat as you - didn't do VCE Bio, struggled for the first few weeks, and did shit on the first module test (and I'm going to say the assignment too). But I'm slowly getting the hang of it now, and I honestly think I can put it down to me going the extra mile with my studying. Go to lectures and pay attention, do the readings and incorporate the content into your notes, watch the BioBytes (they're SPECIFICALLY made for people who haven't done VCE Bio!), and do not move on until you've fully understood the concept. I know it seems like a bit much but it seriously worked for me!

Also, don't be afraid to ask for help. There's a tutor-on-duty thing in the Redmond Barry building at certain times (check the LMS) and Dawn, the subject coordinator, is such a lovely and helpful person. She used to be the chief assessor for VCE Bio (or so I've heard) so she's very considerate of first year struggles with transition from VCE to uni life. If you need any help in this regard, email her - she gets back veryyy quickly.

Ok, thanks so much!

I did VCE Bio but still found the first few weeks of Bio 1 challenging.  I lost way more marks than I wanted to on the Module tests and pracs but still got a H1 because I think the exam is very straightforward - mainly just relies upin you remembering concepts and understanding the links between them (plus knowing your way around all the diagrams in the lectures). So don't give up, because the exam can save you, basically.

Ok that's really good to know. Thanks!

I am in the exact same position as you! I am doing bio as well this year, but never did it in VCE, and I am really struggling - in both module tests I got 55%. I am not really grasping the concepts, instead more rote learning, which I know is not going to help. Given how quickly the course moves (each week is basically a new topic), what are the most effective strategies for really understanding the content, because at the moment bio is really taking up a lot of my time.  :'(

Feels bad  :(. I'm doing even worse than you in terms of the module tests, so I hope there's still hope for me haha. I should have done yr12 biology insteadn of yr12 chem :-\. Anyway good luck bro, I think we both need it.

Mod edit: merged triple post
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 08:50:52 pm by K888 »