Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:59:50 am

Author Topic: Year 11 Subject selection  (Read 686 times)  Share 

Isabellaaap

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Year 11 Subject selection
« on: June 21, 2021, 04:56:15 pm »
+1
hello! i知 new here and i知 sorry you must get a lot posts like these but subject selection is due for next year and my careers advisor is currently on work leave so i decided to come here for some help.

After high school I would like to do medicine. i知 currently doing unit 1/2 hhd and for year 11 and 12 i知 doing chem, methods, revs, english and my final subject which is what i need help deciding is between bio or chem. i know that bio is probably the obvious choice for medicine and i do enjoy it i but german scales up really well, my teachers are saying it scales up by 8-10 points. i do really love german and do pretty well at it so i知 really having a hard time deciding :( thank you for any help!

ThunderDragon

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +110
Re: Year 11 Subject selection
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2021, 06:00:40 pm »
hello! i知 new here and i知 sorry you must get a lot posts like these but subject selection is due for next year and my careers advisor is currently on work leave so i decided to come here for some help.

After high school I would like to do medicine. i知 currently doing unit 1/2 hhd and for year 11 and 12 i知 doing chem, methods, revs, english and my final subject which is what i need help deciding is between bio or chem. i know that bio is probably the obvious choice for medicine and i do enjoy it i but german scales up really well, my teachers are saying it scales up by 8-10 points. i do really love german and do pretty well at it so i知 really having a hard time deciding :( thank you for any help!
Hey Isabella welcome to Atarnotes. Since you are doing Year 11 next year, I do recommend that if you enjoy German more than I think you should do 1/2 German next year. Bio isn't a prereq for Medicine so if you enjoy it less than German, definitely go with German. That being said, Bio 3/4 doesn't really need 1/2 Bio whereas German 3/4 needs the 1/2 much more so I would recommend doing 1/2 German next yr, and if you decide at the end of next year that you want to do Bio in Year 12, you won't really be disadvantaged by missing out on the 1/2 and can just switch into Bio 3/4.
2019 - Geography [41]
2020 - English, Methods, Chem, Bio and Psych [39]
2021 - 2023 Bachelor of Science at Monash

ThunderDragon's Journey to Med

Currently offering tutoring in 3/4 Psychology for 2022. PM if interested!

mabajas76

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2021, 08:16:11 pm »
sorry your post is a bit confusing, so im goign to assume when u say ur final subject is between bio and chem u mean bio and german.
So yeah my advice, take the scaling out of the equation. Scaling only matters if u get the marks, it wont lift a 20 to anything meaningful. If u enjoy german and r good at it, then sure go ahead. But also take a peek at the prerequires for medicine. I might be wrong so don't quote me but I am assuming that bio 3/4 with a decent SS is needed for medicine...also u can't know if u like medicine without DOING biology sooooooooo. Maybe look at other subjects to see if u can change them? Just cause Bio seems like a pretty vital subject, but if u dont want to drop german than don't drop it either, so maybe choose another subject u dont do as well in/isnt needed. Or do what I am doing and do 7 subjects in year 11, with a language being done at VSL. Just a suggestion and my 2 cents anyway.
"Don't give up, and don't put too much effort into things that don't matter"-Albert Einstein, probably.

scientificllama

• Forum Obsessive
  • insert quirky quote
  • Respect: +81
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2021, 08:52:34 pm »
+1
Hey Isabella!

Welcome to ATARnotes :D

It's great to see another aspiring med school applicant on the forums!
Regarding subjects to further pursue Medicine in university, your subject choices of Maths Methods & Chemistry are perfect as they are prerequisites for the course.  Biology is a favoured subject but definitely not required for medical entry.

As other users have said about whether to choose German or Biology, go with which subject you are most passionate about.
There is no point in having a subject you are going to hate for the next 2 years and ultimately do terrible due to your hatred of the subject. If that is German, great! Go with German. If not, then Bio is the way to go. Either way, choose which subject depending on your passion and love for the subject rather than the scaling or if your friends are pushing you to do one or another.

Hopefully this helps :)
2019: 1/2 Psych

2020: English, Bio, Chem, Psych, HHD, Methods

2021: bye bye psych :D