Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 03:19:17 am

Author Topic: VCE from a Y12 - Nick's Journal (kinda).  (Read 2792 times)

Fifth

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +5
VCE from a Y12 - Nick's Journal (kinda).
« on: August 30, 2017, 12:45:43 am »
+10
I'm not here to beg sympathy, but rather to give some wise words to people new to VCE or coming up into Year 11.

I've never really had my heart in any of my school work. Ever. And that's the main reason why my teachers and coordinators have struggled dearly to keep me from failing the year since June. Since Year 7 I've done the bare minimum, with only a few classes reaching some astounding level of effort or amount of coursewok handed in, which were usually just ones I enjoyed or required little thought to begin with.
I've skipped and hopped and jumped between ideas for career choices, too. From author to musician to a sociologist or psychologist, and finally (my current goal), a social worker that helps teens out and gives them something to look forward to if home life ain't so great.

The one message that everyone should take from this? Have something ready to work towards at the beginning of Year 11. I've never had an overall goal to give me a path, no aim for a number on a test to motivate me, and barely any care for most of my work in spite of sleepless nights wondering what next I'll have to ask for an extension of time on. It's not too late for me, but earlier prepared will be less suffering for you guys too. Pick a subject or two that you enjoy and keep the others focused on what you want to do later in life. Make sure it's true to yourself and that you can bear any sacrifices that future will ask of you. But also realise that your work isn't made primarily to appeal to your enjoyment or sense of understanding about why clouds sometimes look like a lost pet or why the teacher is now calling for your attention after gazing out the window a few seconds too long.
Be you, and work you.

Time for sleep. Might not be on this again to respond to anything if I forget I wrote all this. In any case, that's been my experience of VCE, aside from making incredible friends inside and outside of class as well as smashing out creative writing SAC's in English. Have a good one, aye?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 12:47:51 am by Fifth »

S200

• Part of the furniture
  • Yeah well that happened...
  • Respect: +244
Re: VCE from a Y12 - Nick's Journal (kinda).
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 07:38:51 am »
+2
Thanks Fifth!

I am actually scarily similar!
almost 3/4 way through year 11, and still just runnin' without the plan!!

Personally, I just motivate myself for the minute.... :D
Like right now, procrastinating on AN, rather than completing the assignment that was due about a week ago....
This is a 'Don't be like Bill' scenario

P.S. (First Post on AN for about a month... #actuallyalmostuptodateinmethods!)
Carpe Vinum

\(\LaTeX\) - \(e^{\pi i }\)
#ThanksRui! - #Rui\(^2\) - #Jamon10000

5233718311 :D

Fifth

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 08:02:27 am »
+5
Thanks Fifth!

I am actually scarily similar!
almost 3/4 way through year 11, and still just runnin' without the plan!!

Personally, I just motivate myself for the minute.... :D
Like right now, procrastinating on AN, rather than completing the assignment that was due about a week ago....
This is a 'Don't be like Bill' scenario

P.S. (First Post on AN for about a month... #actuallyalmostuptodateinmethods!)

Find something to motivate you. My biggest issue has always been that I never felt I had reason to do the work other than for doing it.

S200

• Part of the furniture
  • Yeah well that happened...
  • Respect: +244
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 08:08:51 am »
+1
Find something to motivate you. My biggest issue has always been that I never felt I had reason to do the work other than for doing it.
Dead on!

But yeah...
I am trying to find some motivation, mainly looking round on the future paths....
Carpe Vinum

\(\LaTeX\) - \(e^{\pi i }\)
#ThanksRui! - #Rui\(^2\) - #Jamon10000

5233718311 :D

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017, 08:48:59 am »
+4
Hey Nick,

Really enjoyed your post - thanks for sharing. :)) I loved this in particular:

Be you, and work you.

Looking forward to your future posts. :)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

strawberries

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +416
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2017, 08:56:43 am »
+5
Hi Fifth,

Nice post! :)

I would like to add one thing - maybe it differs between people, but as a first year uni student I still have no idea what I want to do and I keep changing my mind, and that's okay too! (but keeping in mind that time is limited and some goals/career paths do take a while to pursue).

Pick a subject or two that you enjoy and keep the others focused on what you want to do later in life. Make sure it's true to yourself and that you can bear any sacrifices that future will ask of you. But also realise that your work isn't made primarily to appeal to your enjoyment or sense of understanding about why clouds sometimes look like a lost pet or why the teacher is now calling for your attention after gazing out the window a few seconds too long.
Be you, and work you.
^definitely agree with this. As you've said, definitely find something to motivate you towards 'something'.

good luck for the rest of the year! :)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 08:59:23 am by strawberries »
VCE '15
don't let dreams be dreams

Fifth

• Adventurer
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2017, 02:52:52 pm »
+3
Dead on!

But yeah...
I am trying to find some motivation, mainly looking round on the future paths....
Try different sources of motivation. It could be from rewarding yourself after receiving good marks to needing the education to visit an overseas friend.

Fifth

• Adventurer
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2017, 12:03:13 am »
+3
Hi Fifth,

Nice post! :)

I would like to add one thing - maybe it differs between people, but as a first year uni student I still have no idea what I want to do and I keep changing my mind, and that's okay too! (but keeping in mind that time is limited and some goals/career paths do take a while to pursue).
^definitely agree with this. As you've said, definitely find something to motivate you towards 'something'.

good luck for the rest of the year! :)
Cheers, Strawfruit. I don't just speak for myself with some of the things I mentioned - hopping career choices is something I've seen all teens and early-20's do unless they had their sights very firmly set on something from the beginning. Always good to hear backup on that: I felt hopeless when I first started wondering what I /really/ wanted. :)