Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 16, 2024, 09:47:31 pm

Author Topic: Probability of Second Round Offer?  (Read 7814 times)  Share 

Bunjil

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Probability of Second Round Offer?
« on: January 23, 2017, 08:53:55 pm »
Hi,

So In my first round I received an offer from Monash University for Science, and after some personal circumstances I am unable to move and Monash is about 2 hours of travel each day, so it's realistically unfeasible.

So because of this Science at Melbourne University seems to be more suitable to me. I meet all the prerequisites and my ATAR (87.35) is above the Clearly-in ATAR so I guess I was wondering what is the probability of receiving a second round offer for Science from Melbourne Uni? Has anybody been in a similar situation to this?

I looked at past selection data and this year they've only currently filled 2268 places as opposed to the approx 2700 in 2016. What is the maximum quota for the Bsc at Melbourne??

Thanks.

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
Re: Probability of Second Round Offer?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 09:05:42 pm »
In general, majority of offers are issued during round 1. So the chance of you receiving an offer for something you didn't get in round 1 is significantly reduced.

However, given you haven't received that course and you meet everything including the clearly-in, I would say that you have a good chance of getting in during the second round. This is of course dependent on course places remaining after the first round, early rounds and so on.

Accept your Monash offer and place that Melb Uni course in preference #1 for round 2 and see what happens. You can always withdraw from the Monash one if you get the Melb one during round 2.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 09:08:00 pm by Aaron »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

Beamer

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 09:12:21 pm »
I too would speculate you have a good chance of receiving a second round offer providing the offers are there to be made. Consider checking the percentage of first round offers that were made by Melbourne for their BSC below the clearly-in ATAR, this may give you an insight into whether or not second round offers are probable.

If not, the Monash commute won't be impossible for you. I'm facing the exact same travel time. If you do end up attending Monash I suggest you do what I've done and try to give yourself a couple of days completely free with your preferences in the Allocate+ system, providing the already locked-in sessions (lectures) allow for that.

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 09:15:04 pm »
I should add (given that I didn't see the travel part) that I travel around about 90 minutes per day to Monash (one way) and you get used to it after a while... but in all honesty it's a massive pain in the ass because it limits your ability to do.. much apart from uni + travel. Some say it's a good thing to travel via PT because it gives you a chance to catch up on reading or work, but I personally can't.

I would go for the closer uni unless there is a justification for travelling that far.

Just my opinion on things.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 09:17:32 pm by Aaron »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

Beamer

• Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 09:23:03 pm »
Definitely go for the closer uni if the offer is there. For me, the top four universities in my preferences list were all 2 hours away except for Melbourne, which I unfortunately didn't receive a first round offer from.

Bunjil

• Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 10:12:07 pm »
Consider checking the percentage of first round offers that were made by Melbourne for their BSC below the clearly-in ATAR, this may give you an insight into whether or not second round offers are probable.

What does this exactly mean? So this year 9.33% of offers were made to people with an ATAR below the clearly-in. What does this mean for second round offers?

Beamer

• Adventurer
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 11:21:09 pm »
I should explain that I'm definitely no expert on tertiary admissions and could have it all wrong, this is just my thinking.

Aside from exceptional circumstances affording special consideration the only explanation I can think of as to why 9.33% of offers made were to students below the clearly-in ATAR is that their aggregate points from Year 12 studies pushed them over the line and above your ATAR. That is, if those students are still statistically considered to have ATARs below the clearly-in requirement.

Taking this into consideration and the fact that you didn't get a first round offer indicates to me that UoM had no difficulties finding enough students for their BSC with ATARs above the clearly-in figure which suggests their second round offerings will be pretty competitive. Assuming there are second round offers for the course (and I do assume there will be) you might be in luck considering your ATAR is 1.35 above the clearly-in figure, which could be enough. Keep your fingers crossed, so to speak.

Until then I suggest you do everything necessary to enroll yourself in the Monash course, since you can (I believe) withdraw if offered a second round place at UoM and if you don't set yourself up at Monash you'll be left with nothing.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 11:23:09 pm by Beamer »