Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 08:06:08 pm

Author Topic: 12 Angry Men  (Read 12513 times)  Share 

oliverk94

12 Angry Men
« on: February 06, 2012, 04:15:50 pm »
Hey guys, I'm studying "12 Angry men" this year, just needed some advice from past students who studied the text and give me advice on what to study on, any resources which you used, what exam prompts I should expect.. etc. my school is studying it officially in Unit 4 but I want to start as soon as possible to give myself a headstart.

Also should I watch the movie?

Thanks

mihir94

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
  • School: The Knox School
  • School Grad Year: 2012
Re: 12 Angry Men
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 05:34:24 pm »
I can't realy give you advice how to study the text because i'm doing it this year and we're also doing it 2nd semester. But i do recommend you watch the movie. It enabled me to visualise the whole jury room better and put faces to the jurors. When i first read the play it was difficult getting my head around who was who, especially since they don't use names. But after reading it again after watching the movie, i felt i understood the play better.

I don't know if that  really makes much sense but i guess what i'm trying to say that watching the movie did help me. Most of the lines are exactly the same as they are in the play and the movie is actually really similar to the play.

By the way i watched the black and white version. Not too sure about the coloured one.

oliverk94

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 09:07:33 pm »
Ok thanks, yer there two versions of the movie so didn't know which one to watch. The 1957 version was rated better by critics and it was the original so I'm going to watch that one.

xdecay

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +38
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 01:25:35 am »
+2
Definitely watch the 1957 movie, it helps you understand the entire play a bit better and actually help you view the entire play from how Rose wants the audience to see it. For example, the opressive feel of the room can be picked up from the movie whereas you'll most likely miss that from reading the play itself. Also, there are many symbolisms that you can spot throughout the whole movie. I suggest you read the play, watch the movie and finally read the play WHILE watching the movie. Of course, read it multiple times throughout the year/before the exam too.

It was the first year of studying this text for us last year so there weren't many prompts we could write our essays from but by the nature of the play, I don't think the prompts can vary too much from each other. I'm sure you could already guess a few of the 'standard' prompts out there after reading it so you're able to develop some solid ideas and modify them in accordance to different prompts. That's what I did for the SAC and practice essays because I wasn't given much to begin with and the limitation is what lead me to do another text for the exam not 12 Angry Men. Also, keep in mind that while the play seems fairly straightforward, there are different layers into it - it's not just about the law, the jury, democracy, etc so stick to your ideas consistently to let your understanding show through writing.
2010: Psychology, VET: Hospitality (Front of House), Chinese (SL)
2011: English (SL), Business Management, Further Mathematics, Studio Arts
ATAR: 97.90

Current: UoM - BCom + DipLang

'As a cure for worrying, work is better than whisky' - Ralph Waldo Emerson

aiming_95

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 06:00:45 pm »
Found out today that I'll be doing this text, the general consensus seems to be that this play is extremely interesting and an enjoyable read.

Jezza

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 08:07:59 pm »
I can't realy give you advice how to study the text because i'm doing it this year and we're also doing it 2nd semester. But i do recommend you watch the movie. It enabled me to visualise the whole jury room better and put faces to the jurors. When i first read the play it was difficult getting my head around who was who, especially since they don't use names. But after reading it again after watching the movie, i felt i understood the play better.

I don't know if that  really makes much sense but i guess what i'm trying to say that watching the movie did help me. Most of the lines are exactly the same as they are in the play and the movie is actually really similar to the play.

By the way i watched the black and white version. Not too sure about the coloured one.
The coloured one is easier to watch but the black and white version is better as it's pretty much the same as the book.

aiming_95

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 08:44:15 pm »
Here is a link to the movie (1957 version)

http://www.putlocker.com/file/6618582886BBAAE3#

aiming_95

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 10:50:35 pm »
Just finished the movie, and I swear I loved every minute of it. Great movie.

Jezza

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 10:59:15 pm »
+1
Just finished the movie, and I swear I loved every minute of it. Great movie.
Totally agree, one of my favourite movies.

Definitely 5 out of 5 if you appreciate it.

aiming_95

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 11:04:09 pm »
Agreed.

Anyone know what the prompts were for Twelve Angry Men last year ? VCAA haven't released last years exam yet, and I also can't seem to find the 'exam discussion' thread from last year.

Jezza

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 11:06:34 pm »
Agreed.

Anyone know what the prompts were for Twelve Angry Men last year ? VCAA haven't released last years exam yet, and I also can't seem to find the 'exam discussion' thread from last year.
Even though VCAA hasn't released last years exam yet, they do have an assessment report which may be useful for what you are looking for.

mihir94

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
  • School: The Knox School
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2012, 08:25:05 am »
+1
Agreed.

Here your go:

'Twelve Angry Men is less about guilt or innocence than about reasonable doubt.' Discuss.

'Why is it so difficult for the jury in Twelve Angry Men to reach its final verdict?'

aiming_95

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2012, 11:41:15 am »
Thanks, that doesn't seem too hard.

On another topic, it would've been funny if the kid actually did kill his father and to see the reaction of #3.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 11:47:03 am by aiming_95 »

Mech

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Bacchanalian Batman
  • Respect: +69
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2012, 11:48:04 am »
"Twelve Angry Men" was quite a good text to study. Although, it lacks a lot of depth and is hard to play with in an exam situation if you are asked to reply to a semi-poignant prompt. Watch the 1957 version which is pretty much verbatim to the play script itself; you will actually give faces to those twelve strange men (no points for noticing which actor once voiced Piglet from "Winnie-the-Pooh"). If you want to look at it through a feminist lens, focus on it being phallocentric.  Especially if you have an English teacher who is a feminist.
"All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce

University of Melbourne -- Bachelor of Arts, Philosophy and Politics.

I am not the best role model for your academic success, but I can spin a good yarn or browbeat you with my cynicism and musings.

aiming_95