Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 01:16:29 am

Author Topic: I need advice  (Read 671 times)  Share 

George233

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
I need advice
« on: April 14, 2019, 06:37:48 pm »
Hi all,
This is my last year of highschool, and methods is by far the most stressful class i have. It doesnt help that my teacher has no experience in that subject at all, they literally only taught my 1&2 class, with again no experience and is now taking the 3&4. Mind you we didnt even finish the curriculum last year and they even got a current student to teach some of the classes this year because they didnt know what they’re doing. Look, im no math wizz and I dont really understand the textbook explanations unless i spent hours decoding them. One of my class mates trys to help, but i feel like a burden because sometimes i simply dont understand how everything interrelates. I tried checkpoint qns but its just bumming me out and stressing me more.  So please some advice would be much needed. I don’t want to drop the subject.

Erutepa

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • evenin'
  • Respect: +775
Re: I need advice
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2019, 06:47:25 pm »
+6
Hi all,
This is my last year of highschool, and methods is by far the most stressful class i have. It doesnt help that my teacher has no experience in that subject at all, they literally only taught my 1&2 class, with again no experience and is now taking the 3&4. Mind you we didnt even finish the curriculum last year and they even got a current student to teach some of the classes this year because they didnt know what they’re doing. Look, im no math wizz and I dont really understand the textbook explanations unless i spent hours decoding them. One of my class mates trys to help, but i feel like a burden because sometimes i simply dont understand how everything interrelates. I tried checkpoint qns but its just bumming me out and stressing me more.  So please some advice would be much needed. I don’t want to drop the subject.
Sorry about your unfortunate situation. You might want to raise this issue with your coordinator(s) if you seriously think this teacher is unable to cater for the needs of the class, however it is important to remember that teachers themselves have to start somewhere - they can't all be experienced.

But, when I'm really struggling to understand a topic, I often try to find YouTube videos that explain the topic. There are heaps out there and you can almost always find a simple explanation of a concept. Just be wary that not everything on youtube is 100% accurate (pretty shocking, right?).
I also use the atar notes summary notes which can often give a simpler boiled down explanation of a topic as compared to the confusing depth the textbook can go into.

You may also want to consider tutoring. It's not for eveyone (for a variety of reasons), but it sounds like you may benefit from it.

Hope you can find a bit of help from this!

Edit.
To add to this, I'm fairly sure that your friends won't see you as a burden when asking them for help. Most people love lending a hand especially if they are passionate about what you are asking them.
And if you have any specific questions or confusions, you can always post them in the methods question thread.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 06:57:29 pm by Erutepa »
Qualifications
 > Have counted to 227
 > Can draw really good spiders
 > 2 Poet points
 > 6.5 insanipi points
 > 1 Bri MT point

George233

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 04:47:57 pm »
Thank you very much, I’ll take what you said into consideration.  :D  Also do you have any tips on how to study and remember method concepts?

JR_StudyEd

• MOTM: MAY 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
  • Respect: +171
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 05:11:13 pm »
+1
do you have any tips on how to study and remember method concepts?

George233, it kind of blows my mind how similar you and I are with Methods. You are not alone. Methods is that subject for me. The heavy workload forces me to spend much longer with it than others. Sorry for the gloomy outlook. I 110% agree with everything Erutepa said above.

I'm no maths wizz either (like yourself), but one thing I've learnt so far in my Year 12 journey is that you want to aim to understand topics, especially in such a (surprisingly) content-heavy and demanding subject as Methods. (This actually applies to many, many other subjects too!) Imo, memorisation is useless compared to understanding. Hence why I've highlighted 'remember' from your previous post! Memory is extremely fickle compared with the power of having truly understood a topic in Methods.   ;)

Frequent revision is the key! In order to ingrain the difficult concepts, you need to keep coming back to them, daily if possible! Never, ever hesitate to ask questions! You'll benefit not only yourself, but your peers as well!

Have you spoken with your teacher about this? Letting them know at the very least may relieve you of some of the tension you feel.
Listens to K-Pop (Twice, Red Velvet, MAMAMOO) and Christmas music all year round.