Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 01:01:08 pm

Author Topic: HSC Modern History Question Thread  (Read 349771 times)  Share 

Annie98

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Cheltenham
  • School Grad Year: 2016
Re: Modern History Question Thread
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2016, 06:54:25 pm »
Thank you so much for the tips Elyse 😊.
I will definitely be walking into that exam room with a lot more confidence!! ❤

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2016, 02:29:11 pm »
Thank you so much for the tips Elyse 😊.
I will definitely be walking into that exam room with a lot more confidence!! ❤

Yay! I'm so happy for you :) Smash it!
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

Anika1098

• Fresh Poster
  • School: Newtown high school of the performing arts
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2016, 01:18:49 pm »
Hey sorry to bother you I'm just really struggling with how to structure a response to this modern history question; To what extent was the treaty of Brest-Litovsk significant for the Bolshevik consolidation of power?
The question is in relation to the topic Russian and the Soviet union and i understand  all the information but I don't get how i can write a complex and thorough essay on such a specific and small aspect of the Bolshevik consolidation of power?
My main query is can I write the essay in this form;
To a small extent the treaty of Brest litovsk was significant for the Bolshevik consolidation of power. While it was a significant in its negative and positive impression upon the Bolshevik consolidation, due to positive influences of the Civil war, War communism and the NEP its significance is slighted in comparison.
So instead of just talking about the treat of Brest litovsk i include other factors of consolidation to back up my point?

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Synergising your ATAR potential"
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2016, 01:52:38 pm »
Hey sorry to bother you I'm just really struggling with how to structure a response to this modern history question; To what extent was the treaty of Brest-Litovsk significant for the Bolshevik consolidation of power?
The question is in relation to the topic Russian and the Soviet union and i understand  all the information but I don't get how i can write a complex and thorough essay on such a specific and small aspect of the Bolshevik consolidation of power?
My main query is can I write the essay in this form;
To a small extent the treaty of Brest litovsk was significant for the Bolshevik consolidation of power. While it was a significant in its negative and positive impression upon the Bolshevik consolidation, due to positive influences of the Civil war, War communism and the NEP its significance is slighted in comparison.
So instead of just talking about the treat of Brest litovsk i include other factors of consolidation to back up my point?

Hey Anika!

Whilst I can't help you regarding the specific topic (as I did conflict in Europe, Weimar/Nazi Germany) I can definitely help you out regarding your general query. For a question like this, which as you say is quite specific in its inquiry, you can absolutely talk about other factors. In fact, for a question like that, a thesis will almost always be "A was quite a significant/a significant/hardly a significant factor, as B, C and D must also be considered".

I was always told that, for a thesis like that, you should TRY to talk about the actual question-area for at least 50% of the essay. Whilst it may be tricky, I'm sure you can pull enough stuff together to write half an essay about the Treaty specifically, and then half the essay about alternative factors (being sure to always draw that back to the Treaty, comparing its effect etc.). However, you're absolutely correct in your approach; looks like you'll be writing a great essay!

Let me know if I can clarify anything or help with something else.
Jake
ATAR: 99.80

Mathematics Extension 2: 93
Physics: 93
Chemistry: 93
Modern History: 94
English Advanced: 95
Mathematics: 96
Mathematics Extension 1: 98

Studying a combined Advanced Science/Law degree at UNSW

Anika1098

• Fresh Poster
  • School: Newtown high school of the performing arts
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2016, 06:13:46 pm »
+1
Thankyou so much Jake!!!

Son of Thatcher

• Trailblazer
  • "Live free or die."
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2016, 06:43:35 pm »
Hey guys!

I was just wondering how exactly I would tackle this question we have been given. I have been over and over it but still am having difficulty synthesising my ideas.

“Ambition can be of enormous danger to its owner”

To what extent is Sereny’s statement a true assessment of the life and career of Albert Speer?
2016 HSC

Advanced English (89) | Business Studies (92) | Legal Studies (94) | History Extension (47) | Ancient History (92) | Modern History (92)

ATAR: 97.55

Bachelor of Laws @ UTS

"Be wary of so-called 'pure' intentions, lest you do more harm with open hands than with a clenched fist"

birdwing341

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2016, 09:16:53 am »
Hello again,

I'm wondering the best strategy in general to prepare for trial exams. Of course doing past papers is the best thing to do that, but do you have some tips in terms of memorising content? (WWI, Weimar and Speer)

I don't particularly want to rote learn things (although I can easily do it), but if the best strategy is to rote learn it, how would you suggest I tailor my memorisation program.

Thanks!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2016, 01:06:09 pm »
Hello again,

I'm wondering the best strategy in general to prepare for trial exams. Of course doing past papers is the best thing to do that, but do you have some tips in terms of memorising content? (WWI, Weimar and Speer)

I don't particularly want to rote learn things (although I can easily do it), but if the best strategy is to rote learn it, how would you suggest I tailor my memorisation program.

Thanks!

Hey! There are so many ways to go about this. If rote learning is something you can easily do, you're in a very fortunate situation! So many brains shrivel up and don't soak in any information when it's being fed like that. However, I totally understand that it is boring.

Here are some things that I found helpful:

Visual Timelines: I'm usually not a visual person, but I had an assignment for my personality study that required me to make a visual timeline. It actually became an incredible study tool for the trials and the HSC. The personality study is such a small little unit, you need your notes to reflect the succinctness of the topic. I thought it helped so much for me when I was studying Albert Speer, that I decided to create one for my National Study too. I made them into big posters and hung them near my desk and on the outside of the shower looking in (creepy, effective).

Memory Sheets: By this I mean, one piece of paper per topic (laminated, if you're a laminating fan like myself) that puts down the most vital little hints you'll need in an exam. By this I mean, include historian quotes, important dates and any information of that type that won't panic you before an exam, but it can very easily be that last thing you look at before walking in.

Teaching others: I was fortunate to have a friend in my class who just could not understand how Hitler came to power. Hey, I wasn't too crash hot either at one point. But when I tried to explain it to her, I found that I needed to make connections between information I had gathered but hadn't yet pooled together. Teaching someone what you know is honestly more effective than anything else I can recommend. Obviously, finding a person to teach isn't always easy. So teach your bathroom mirror, or dog, if you can't find a friend willing to learn.

Weaknesses: Work out what the weaknesses are in your knowledge. Is there a syllabus dot point that you just don't get? It isn't sticking? Read/watch as many resources on that dot point as possible. You have options in the exam for the national study, but you don't want to risk two options for an essay coming up and you panicking over both. In fact, you don't want to panic over either. You want to have a bit of luxury to choose your strongest question!

WW1: Don't worry about the content as much as you should concern yourself with source analysis. Really make sure that your source analysis plan is strong. If you have a template you use, make sure it is well planted in your memory. Make sure you've got a bank of great vocab to whip out in a source analysis. You need to know content, absolutely. But the most important marks will come from analysing sources. So be ready!

I hope this gives you a few ideas about how to approach your studying. Let me know if you actually do any of these, and if they worked for you! These are all things I did.

What is your strategy for rote learning? Just saying things out loud until they stick?

Good luck :)

birdwing341

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2016, 01:13:56 pm »
+1
Hey! There are so many ways to go about this. If rote learning is something you can easily do, you're in a very fortunate situation! So many brains shrivel up and don't soak in any information when it's being fed like that. However, I totally understand that it is boring.

Here are some things that I found helpful:

Visual Timelines: I'm usually not a visual person, but I had an assignment for my personality study that required me to make a visual timeline. It actually became an incredible study tool for the trials and the HSC. The personality study is such a small little unit, you need your notes to reflect the succinctness of the topic. I thought it helped so much for me when I was studying Albert Speer, that I decided to create one for my National Study too. I made them into big posters and hung them near my desk and on the outside of the shower looking in (creepy, effective).

Memory Sheets: By this I mean, one piece of paper per topic (laminated, if you're a laminating fan like myself) that puts down the most vital little hints you'll need in an exam. By this I mean, include historian quotes, important dates and any information of that type that won't panic you before an exam, but it can very easily be that last thing you look at before walking in.

Teaching others: I was fortunate to have a friend in my class who just could not understand how Hitler came to power. Hey, I wasn't too crash hot either at one point. But when I tried to explain it to her, I found that I needed to make connections between information I had gathered but hadn't yet pooled together. Teaching someone what you know is honestly more effective than anything else I can recommend. Obviously, finding a person to teach isn't always easy. So teach your bathroom mirror, or dog, if you can't find a friend willing to learn.

Weaknesses: Work out what the weaknesses are in your knowledge. Is there a syllabus dot point that you just don't get? It isn't sticking? Read/watch as many resources on that dot point as possible. You have options in the exam for the national study, but you don't want to risk two options for an essay coming up and you panicking over both. In fact, you don't want to panic over either. You want to have a bit of luxury to choose your strongest question!

WW1: Don't worry about the content as much as you should concern yourself with source analysis. Really make sure that your source analysis plan is strong. If you have a template you use, make sure it is well planted in your memory. Make sure you've got a bank of great vocab to whip out in a source analysis. You need to know content, absolutely. But the most important marks will come from analysing sources. So be ready!

I hope this gives you a few ideas about how to approach your studying. Let me know if you actually do any of these, and if they worked for you! These are all things I did.

What is your strategy for rote learning? Just saying things out loud until they stick?

Good luck :)

Thanks very much :) I'll be sure to try some of those strategies.

Usually for rote learning I'll just say it to myself multiple times until I can say it all fluently (leastways that's what I've done for the english internals). I imagine if I did it with Modern/Eco I would probably do the same and then find some essay/short answers that address that knowledge and write down answers? I wasn't willing to try it because it is extremely boring, but it could be effective.

In terms of source analysis, do you have any key words that you like to throw into source analysis? (I'm getting two separate questions for my trials)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 03:55:45 pm by birdwing341 »

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2016, 06:35:30 pm »
Thanks very much :) I'll be sure to try some of those strategies.

Usually for rote learning I'll just say it to myself multiple times until I can say it all fluently (leastways that's what I've done for the english internals). I imagine if I did it with Modern/Eco I would probably do the same and then find some essay/short answers that address that knowledge and write down answers? I wasn't willing to try it because it is extremely boring, but it could be effective.

In terms of source analysis, do you have any key words that you like to throw into source analysis? (I'm getting two separate questions for my trials)

Awesome! For English, I said essays over and over again until they stuck!

For source analysis, first of all you want to have your scaffold ready. You should definitely check out this amazing guide that Jake wrote that covers so many burning questions about the source analysis section of the paper. I don't think I so much had prepared vocabulary as I had prepared angles I would take. For example, if the reliability of the source was unclear or weak, I would comment in the "usefulness" section about how the usefulness is limited/increased because of the reliability. So I always had connections that I would make between the different sections so that I could whip them out when I was stuck with what to talk about.

The guide Jake wrote is seriously, seriously good. So you'll definitely benefit from that!

aoife98

• Trailblazer
  • School: Bethlehem College
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2016, 08:17:06 pm »
Not sure how to answer the second question for personality study. Any ideas?
“The historical importance of Leni Riefenstahl is influenced by differing perspectives and interpretations.”
To what extent do you agree with this statement?

Cheers

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Synergising your ATAR potential"
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2016, 09:12:39 pm »
Not sure how to answer the second question for personality study. Any ideas?
“The historical importance of Leni Riefenstahl is influenced by differing perspectives and interpretations.”
To what extent do you agree with this statement?

Cheers

Hey!

Basically, this question is asking you to do a historiographical study of your personality. I would suggest breaking down theorists into some general themes or 'types' (whatever they may be). For instance, maybe there are some theorists that attempt to justify her actions, and others that condemn here completely. Then, present these arguments and come to a conclusion regarding which ones you think are most convincing. Also, it is worth noting any 'changes' to popular theory over time; as the questions is basically asking for the perception of your personality, it would be great to say "In the 1950s, popular sentiment was this, but in the 1990s this shifted drastically after the discovery of this".

Also, just a quick note on the "to what extent do you agree" part; it's pretty obvious that this statement is true. Different perspectives and interpretations of primary sources will yield a differing historical importance. Your answer will likely be "of course this is true; I can deftly illustrate this through specific, accurate, relevant and detailed examples from many theorists" etc. etc.

I can't really help more than that, as I didn't do Riefenstahl myself. However, I think that this is a good general structure that should get you a top result in the essay!

Let me know if you have any further questions, or want me to elaborate on what I've said.

Good luck!

Jake
ATAR: 99.80

Mathematics Extension 2: 93
Physics: 93
Chemistry: 93
Modern History: 94
English Advanced: 95
Mathematics: 96
Mathematics Extension 1: 98

Studying a combined Advanced Science/Law degree at UNSW

aoife98

• Trailblazer
Re: 94 in Modern: Ask Me Anything!
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2016, 03:48:08 pm »
Hey Belkelly!

I think it is a great idea to treat other subjects as though they have SARDEs, and the write worksheets for them accordingly. I didn't do that, only because I discovered the worksheet method very late in the year, but I would strongly recommend you write some yourself! If you wanted help editing them or anything like that, please post on the forums.

I'm glad you enjoyed the resource!

Jake

Hey not sure if I missed where this was mentioned but just wondering what exactly is the SARDEs method because it sounds like something that's good!

aoife98

• Trailblazer
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2016, 03:57:50 pm »
Hey!

Basically, this question is asking you to do a historiographical study of your personality. I would suggest breaking down theorists into some general themes or 'types' (whatever they may be). For instance, maybe there are some theorists that attempt to justify her actions, and others that condemn here completely. Then, present these arguments and come to a conclusion regarding which ones you think are most convincing. Also, it is worth noting any 'changes' to popular theory over time; as the questions is basically asking for the perception of your personality, it would be great to say "In the 1950s, popular sentiment was this, but in the 1990s this shifted drastically after the discovery of this".

Also, just a quick note on the "to what extent do you agree" part; it's pretty obvious that this statement is true. Different perspectives and interpretations of primary sources will yield a differing historical importance. Your answer will likely be "of course this is true; I can deftly illustrate this through specific, accurate, relevant and detailed examples from many theorists" etc. etc.

I can't really help more than that, as I didn't do Riefenstahl myself. However, I think that this is a good general structure that should get you a top result in the essay!

Let me know if you have any further questions, or want me to elaborate on what I've said.

Good luck!

Jake

Thank you for responding! Unfortunately I didn't see this until after the exam (is there a way of getting a notification?) but I utilised a similar approach. In case anyone else has this question, I structured it by "views" of Leni, i.e.

Body Paragraph 1) As a filmmaker = Triumph of the Will/Olympia
View 1...
Technical brilliance → Everyone agrees
Received international honours for her “documentary propaganda” (Evans)
Pioneered many cinematic techniques
View 2...
Supporter of Nazi regime → Strong disagreement over motivations (propaganda or art?)
Salkeld suggests guilt by association clouds views = empathetic
No anti semitic/racist dogma in films
However, Leni did show antisemitism at other times and attended a rally in 1932
My view...
Films are her greatest contribution to history
Irrelevant of motivations, contributed to film culture (innovative techniques + feminist) & t0 the power of the Nazi party/ Fuhrer cult

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2016, 04:35:39 pm »
+1
Thank you for responding! Unfortunately I didn't see this until after the exam (is there a way of getting a notification?) ...

There is! If you want notifications for a particular thread (say, to know when your essay got marked or when your question was answered), there is a Notify button at the top right of the thread. Two across from the Reply button. You can click that and receive an email notification when someone posts in that thread (it is intelligent and will only warn you once within a certain period, so you won't get spammed with messages  ;D)