Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 08:03:15 am

Author Topic: Structuring Essays  (Read 674 times)

Zarah Yagmur

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Structuring Essays
« on: June 15, 2019, 08:32:03 am »
Hi there,
I was just wondering when you're writing an English essay does it have to have 3 body paragraphs or can you only have two with strong use of evidence, analysis and depth?
Thanks

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
Re: Structuring Essays
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2019, 11:32:37 am »
+1
Hi there,
I was just wondering when you're writing an English essay does it have to have 3 body paragraphs or can you only have two with strong use of evidence, analysis and depth?
Thanks
Hey there,

You don't have to do 3 body paragraphs. 2 body paragraphs should be fine as long as you have a detailed analysis.

Hope this helps!
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

stella_atarnotes

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +13
Re: Structuring Essays
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2019, 06:25:59 pm »
Hi there,
Thanks

Hey, I highly recommend structuring your essays depending in how much you can actually write in an exam situation. With things like comparative responses, schools recommend 4 paragraphs, but if you aren't able to write that fast, I recommend keeping the first 2 paragraphs the same and having an integrated last paragraph. 3 body paragraphs is a standard for a lot of essays because it allows you to cover 3 general ideas and be able to link throughout your essay. You can definitely have two body paragraphs, but make sure you are integrating your evidence and analysis throughout and have many different ideas. If the reason you want 2 paragraphs is because you only have 2 ideas, definitely work on figuring out a third idea as this will add more content and strength to your arguments.

Hope that helps!