Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 02:55:55 am

Author Topic: Monash General Chat  (Read 1406618 times)  Share 

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: Monash General Chat
« Reply #5970 on: January 04, 2021, 08:27:21 pm »
+4
bachelor science first year I was in 5 days a week but lots of people set up their timetable to only be in on 4 days. A standard 1st year science "subject' (unit) has 5/6 -ish contact hours (and you'll be doing 4 of these each semester if you are full time). Keep in mind that you'll definitely need to also spend time outside these to get your work done.

Tommy.t

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #5971 on: January 13, 2021, 05:19:28 pm »
Hey guys as part of my Usability unit I need some responses from people in the university community. If you have some time feel free to fill out this questionnaire. Much appreciated  :)

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfYIBYRb1-6nkg2WmGs_K8wSCGxG4_yYZ2aHUMB5ptTh0h3fQ/viewform?usp=sf_link

alexandra.vo

• Trailblazer
« Reply #5972 on: January 14, 2021, 04:43:22 pm »
I wanted to get into biomedical science at Monash but ended up receiving an offer for science at Monash. I'm hoping to transfer next year into biomedical science and then move onto study medicine. Does anyone know the units I should choose to complete this year to transfer into biomed next year and meets prerequisites for medicine?

angrybiscuit

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +204
« Reply #5973 on: January 14, 2021, 06:39:28 pm »
Does anyone know how long it takes to get our Monash email address after registration?
somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
carl sagan

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +1632
« Reply #5974 on: January 14, 2021, 07:48:07 pm »
+6
Does anyone know how long it takes to get our Monash email address after registration?

It was around 3 hours for me.
VCE (2014): HHD, Bio, English, T&T, Methods

Uni (2021-24): Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash Clayton

Work: PCA in residential aged care

tiredandstressed

• MOTM: DEC 20
  • Forum Obsessive
  • pretty without the r (he/him)
  • Respect: +167
« Reply #5975 on: January 14, 2021, 10:57:53 pm »
asking for a friend: my friend received an offer of a Bachelor of Arts (Caufield) but they really wanted to get into Clayton.
They have finished their enrollment, and have enrolled into all their classes, but they enrolled into the Clayton subjects (even though all their subjects were offered in Caulfied)
Their enrollment was confirmed- like it says 'ENROLLED' and they received a transaction number.
Is this wrong, i told them they probz shouldn't do that since the Clayton classes may be over filled, will there be issues later on if they don't switch to the Caufield classes, for example, a possible timetable error.
Is this going to be an issue and should my friend switch back to Caulfield classes
Thanks
VCE '17-'18
2017: Biology, Psychology
2018: English, HHD, Chemistry, Methods
2019-22: Bachelor of Biomedicine (Honours) @ UoM
My guides:
A quick guide to language and argument analysis
HHD sample questions
HHD 2019 Comprehensive examiner report analysis

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #5976 on: January 15, 2021, 10:21:29 am »
+1
asking for a friend: my friend received an offer of a Bachelor of Arts (Caufield) but they really wanted to get into Clayton.
They have finished their enrollment, and have enrolled into all their classes, but they enrolled into the Clayton subjects (even though all their subjects were offered in Caulfied)
Their enrollment was confirmed- like it says 'ENROLLED' and they received a transaction number.
Is this wrong, i told them they probz shouldn't do that since the Clayton classes may be over filled, will there be issues later on if they don't switch to the Caufield classes, for example, a possible timetable error.
Is this going to be an issue and should my friend switch back to Caulfield classes
Thanks
Probably a question for Arts Faculty student services or Monash Connect/ Ask Monash.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

ThunderDragon

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +110
« Reply #5977 on: January 15, 2021, 07:15:44 pm »
Has anyone done EAE1011 and EAE1022 Earth, atmosphere and environment 1 and 2 respectively? Is it a good subject and is it easy to maintain a high mark (for example to achieve a HD)?

Also is Psychology 1A and 1B really that bad and hard to get good marks or is it not as bad as people say it is?
2019 - Geography [41]
2020 - English, Methods, Chem, Bio and Psych [39]
2021 - 2023 Bachelor of Science at Monash

ThunderDragon's Journey to Med

Currently offering tutoring in 3/4 Psychology for 2022. PM if interested!

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +785
« Reply #5978 on: January 15, 2021, 08:01:19 pm »
+5
Also is Psychology 1A and 1B really that bad and hard to get good marks or is it not as bad as people say it is?

I personally found them harder to score well compared to my other science subjects. This was mainly because essay writing is not my strength.
The major assignments in Psych A revolve around writing critically about how a psychology related theory is portrayed in pop culture. And in psych B assignments you need to create a research proposal. There is a lot of guidance provided in tutorials where the tutor explains things and there's a lot of time to ask questions. There is also examples of structure and format provided that are very helpful
assessments
psych A:
(there would normally be an exam in non-2020 years)
psych B:

The exam/quizzes were not too challenging imo and easier to get higher scores on, which might help you balance out assignment scores.
The psych tutors mark to a mean of 6.3ish/10 so it can be challenging to get higher scores on assignments. (very possible to do better than that though!) I followed the rubric very closely on my last assignment which I did much better on, so recommend checking the rubric often to make sure you cover everything.

I don't think that psych is as bad as people say it is. The main reasons people may not like it is because:
-apparently some people have been given unhelpful/not enough feedback on assignments. I think tutors like this would be in the minority though, I had tutors who were really helpful.
-The average mark of 6.3 on assignments.
Other than that, I think they adapted to online learning just as well as most other units, and the content is pretty interesting. Psych B has about 1/2 stats/research methods which is not the most juicy, but they are necessary basic skills for science.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 08:05:15 pm by Owlbird83 »
2018: Biology
2019: Chemistry, Physics, Math Methods, English, Japanese
2020: Bachelor of Psychology (Monash)

Amith2002

• Adventurer
« Reply #5979 on: January 15, 2021, 08:15:00 pm »
Hi guys!
I've been offered to study bachelor of pharmacy in Monash and I just want to know if the lecturers are any good? I know for sure that I would need someone to depend on to ask questions, do the lecturers have time to tend to our needs? And how likely is it for a pharm student to get into med school?

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #5980 on: January 15, 2021, 08:36:10 pm »
+5
Hi guys!
I've been offered to study bachelor of pharmacy in Monash and I just want to know if the lecturers are any good? I know for sure that I would need someone to depend on to ask questions, do the lecturers have time to tend to our needs? And how likely is it for a pharm student to get into med school?
I can't speak too specifically for pharmacy but in general the ability of the lecturer depends on many factors, and their effectiveness would differ depending on the students also. I think you should expect to see lecturers that are both very good for you and also others which may not be.

However, I think basically all the lecturers are happy to take questions. You either meet them at their office (they usually give you their office hours) or you can send them an e-mail.

In terms of email just make sure you aren't too casual (at least at first). So you need to properly address them the first time, make sure you include what unit you are asking questions about. Usually one would include the unit in the email subject. If you are asking stuff more student-specific to yourself you would also include your student ID.

I can't really say what is the chance of a pharm student getting into med. I'm sure it's possible though and know of people who are doing that combo.

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #5981 on: January 15, 2021, 09:47:59 pm »
+6
Hi guys!
Hey there!

I did the B.PharmSci on the same campus, and we share mostly the same lecturers across both cohorts! The lecturers I had were extremely friendly and often helpful. Paul White, Roland Chung, Betty Exintaris and Jen Short are definitely a few faves of mine that teach both courses. :)

Lecturers are often available to answer questions, however, some are super busy and may prefer you to contact a tutor or ask on the moodle for the unit. In first year, Parkville also offer additional support classes called PASS classes, run by students with top marks from the years above for some units. The difference between high school and Monash Parkville is that whilst the cohorts are quite small and you get to know the teaching staff well, the learning is more on you, rather than the lecturer spoon feeding the content. The faculty prides itself on active learning, so classes in my experience tend to also be more on the discussion side, where you do most of the readings/learning 'flipped' or after classes.

I'm not sure about the med component, honestly.

Hope this gives a little insight! :)

EDIT: typos :)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 09:59:05 pm by insanipi »
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

MEH0010

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #5982 on: January 16, 2021, 12:11:25 am »
Hey!
I'm a first year Monash student in 2021. I am just clarifying, is the date for putting in our timetables the 25th of Jan or can we do it earlier? Thank you :)

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #5983 on: January 16, 2021, 12:14:04 am »
+2
Hey!
I'm a first year Monash student in 2021. I am just clarifying, is the date for putting in our timetables the 25th of Jan or can we do it earlier? Thank you :)
I'm pretty sure the date can't be earlier, I'm afraid! :)
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #5984 on: January 16, 2021, 12:15:58 am »
+4
Hey!
I believe Allocate+ (the place where you input/get your timetables) opens on the 25th of January.

So you can start inputting preferences from that date. Then on the 5th of February, it closes. You will then receive your timetable in the 16th of February and at the same time allocate+ undergoes an adjustment period where people can change times of classes if there are availabilities. This period closes on the 15th of March.