Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:12:50 am

Author Topic: Course help  (Read 724 times)

Myner187

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Course help
« on: November 15, 2018, 04:47:13 pm »
Hey, im looking to get into a bachelor of IT/Science  course at QUT but may not get the needed atar. Could someone explain me how a pathway into this course would work? like if I got into just one what is the likelihood of a possible transfer and the process behind it? TY

MrBarbour

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: Course help
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 04:56:50 pm »
My thoughts, I'm no expert but here are my oponinons:
- Get into a similar course at another uni than transfer
- Get into the Uni you want than (different or similar degree) than transfer
- Or go to tafe that may lead you to a pathway to your university degree

The procces behind transfer i'm not sure of. Just make sure your doing well in that particular course your doing, do so will make the proccess or transfering easier

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
Re: Course help
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 05:44:02 pm »
+1
More or less, MrBarbour is right. Let me just add a few details here in red:
My thoughts, I'm no expert but here are my oponinons:
- Get into a similar course at another uni than transfer This is known as an external transfer, which has a good chance of working as long as the course is very similar, but is not as good as internal transfer.
- Get into the Uni you want than (different or similar degree) than transfer Called an internal transfer. Best chances are when you get a very similar course to the one you actually want and have relatively good grades e.g. Really wanted to study accounting in a commerce degree, but wound up with business in your desired uni and have a distinction average (or whatever the institution uses).
- Or go to tafe that may lead you to a pathway to your university degree Simply doing other courses. Typically this requires re-entry via QTAC or direct entry via the desired uni themselves.

The procces behind transfer i'm not sure of. Just make sure your doing well in that particular course your doing, do so will make the proccess or transfering easier
There's a couple of other ways that could also work:
- If you're missing a prereq or missed the score and only want to do a particular course, you could ask your uni and see if there's a bridging course for your desired degree.
- If it's something like med or law, you could do additional and/or postgraduate courses after doing an appropriate undergrad degree.

Transfers, whether internal or external, will be decided by the uni themselves, so contacting the uni directly will provide the most accurate information. I'd highly advise that you give them a call and see what you can do about it.

I'm assuming you're a Year 12 Class of 2018 student right now, deciding on how to approach uni in 2019. Generally when you're a first year uni student and you've completed your first semester only (so, I assume halfway through next year), you can start to apply for transfers, where your university marks and sometimes your ATAR will be considered. Once you finish the second semester, only your university marks are considered and ATAR is not often used. 

Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 08:23:27 pm by AngelWings »
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread