Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 23, 2024, 10:09:08 pm

Author Topic: English - the ATAR killer  (Read 2448 times)  Share 

gee:)

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2012
English - the ATAR killer
« on: September 04, 2012, 09:53:58 pm »
Hi fellow AN members.

Only 57 days remains before the English exam. (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Through last year's experiences, I knew that English is going to be my worst subject. With determination to improve my marks, I spent countless hours on this vile subject. As a result, I have filled my second (very) thick notebook.... Yet, I have failed to see any progress.
So my SAC marks are B, B+, B+ and B (in that order).
Now, I only have one SAC left for English which will occur two weeks from today.
It is very difficult to find even a speck of hope to obtain a raw study score above 40, given that I can't compensate with a SAC.

I don't want to give up but how can I use my time effectively? What should I do now?

If anyone can give me an advice, these are the areas that I was told that I have troubles with:
cohesiveness, grammar (tenses), expression- especially when I don't finish off my sentences :-[ , poor time management (writing an essay within a hour)
Note: I was an ESL student for 2 years when I was in a primary school in NZ. They told me my English is perfect and I don't need it anymore. Well, I regret listening to their ill advice. Look where I am now.  :'(

Note: I was only able to study English till now because my teacher (head of English) mentioned that the English staff deliberately mark our essays harshly so the students can achieve to get good scores.
I think my cohort is quite strong. You would probably need the whole A4 page to write the names of ex-students who got above 40 for their VCE English.
And I have no idea what my rank is...

Please, please help.
Thank you for your time reading my post.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill

AutumnConcerto

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Waverley Christian College
  • School Grad Year: 2012
Re: English - the ATAR killer
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 11:30:47 pm »
Read lots of essays written by high achieving students, I'm sure there are plenty around the website. The editorial and opinion section of the Saturday Age also helps greatly with improving sentence structure and flow, but I'm not sure if reading will help you too much given that there is only two months left :S
Have you gotten teachers/fellow students to go over your essays and point out your weaknesses and how to potentially improve your essays?
"You got a dream... You gotta protect it. People can't do somethin' themselves, they wanna tell you you can't do it. If you want somethin', go get it. Period."

VivaTequila

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +131
Re: English - the ATAR killer
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 06:39:15 pm »
Honestly, get a tutor.

They help drastically with all this sorta stuff. I'm not meaning me, there are plenty of tutors out there - but find one, because they know how to write and can help you when you're battling to finish off your sentences, get your grammar right, all that sort of stuff. You can literally pay your way into a good mark if you have a good tutor.