Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:42:07 pm

Author Topic: Mathematics Question Thread  (Read 1297155 times)  Share 

yogiburay

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: Mathematics Question Thread
« Reply #825 on: October 21, 2016, 02:43:56 pm »
Hi. Sorry to ask  silly questions, but I'm having trouble doing these questions. We just started these topic and I'm so confused. I just can't keep up with my teacher, he's just too fast. I hope you can help me.  :'(

* Find the stationary points on the curve y=(3x-1)(x-2)^4
*Differentiate y=x√x+1. Hence find the stationary point on the curve, giving the exact value.
*The curve f(x)=ax^4-2x^3+7x^2-x+5 has a stationary point at x=1. Find the value of a.
* Show that f(x) =√x has no stationary points
*Show that f(x) = 1/x^3 has no stationary points.

I hope you can explain these questions to me. I really want to improve my maths. Thankyou.  :)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #826 on: October 21, 2016, 03:15:04 pm »
Hi. Sorry to ask  silly questions, but I'm having trouble doing these questions. We just started these topic and I'm so confused. I just can't keep up with my teacher, he's just too fast. I hope you can help me.  :'(

I hope you can explain these questions to me. I really want to improve my maths. Thankyou.  :)

Hey Yogi! Welcome to the forums! Definitely don't be sorry for wanting to improve, good on you for working hard! ;D

Before we give you a hand with these, I'll get you to read this guide which covers some of the theory that you are confused with. Have a read, and see if it helps you understand the questions you've posted (it's brief, but it might help a tad). Otherwise, pick the question there that is confusing you the most and post it back, and we'll give you a hand! Best to start with the most confusing and then see if it helps you answer the others ;D

yogiburay

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #827 on: October 21, 2016, 03:20:58 pm »
Hey Yogi! Welcome to the forums! Definitely don't be sorry for wanting to improve, good on you for working hard! ;D

Before we give you a hand with these, I'll get you to read this guide which covers some of the theory that you are confused with. Have a read, and see if it helps you understand the questions you've posted (it's brief, but it might help a tad). Otherwise, pick the question there that is confusing you the most and post it back, and we'll give you a hand! Best to start with the most confusing and then see if it helps you answer the others ;D

Thankyou :)

rinagee12

• Trailblazer
« Reply #828 on: October 21, 2016, 05:42:04 pm »
Well that was a fair exam... I think

ATAR: 95.10

HSC 2016: English (Advanced) | English Ext 1 | Mathematics | Legal Studies |
Business Studies | Ancient History

2017: B Commerce / B Science @ UNSW

samuels1999

• Adventurer
  • "Expectation is the root of all heartache." -W.S.
« Reply #829 on: October 21, 2016, 08:33:16 pm »
Hi Jake or anyone who wants to answer,

I am a 2017 Year 12 Student. This year I did accelerated 2U Mathematics and just 3 and a bit hours ago I did my HSC mathematics. It was ok- but I am certain I was way off 100%, which would probably mean I'll redo it next year. With that in mind, along with my experience of doing past HSC papers, I realised that It was pretty easy for me to get 70% to 80% in a Mathematics Paper since so much of that style of question I had seen before. I found it much trickier getting that last 15-20% since it involves far more application of skills and technique than the earlier questions.

I know this is a problem partially due to the fact I kinda rushed the course in one year, but with respect to the next year, I just wanted to know if you have any advice on how I could fine tune maths skills to the level I could actually do those harder questions...or even just have the confident mindset. Whether it's more past papers, or maybe going back to basic text book work, I just want to know how I should approach the next year keeping in mind the fact that I have bascially completed "course work" already.

Thanks,
Samuel
"If you can't explain it simply, you do not understand it well enough" -Albert Einstein
Year 12 2017
Subjects: Adv. English, Mathematics, Mathematics Ext 1, Modern History, Physics, Design and Technology
....yeah....its a pretty odd bunch

anotherworld2b

• Forum Leader
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #830 on: October 21, 2016, 08:51:54 pm »
Hi could i get help with these questions?

Blissfulmelodii

• Trendsetter
  • "Mistakes are proof that you are trying!"
« Reply #831 on: October 21, 2016, 08:56:21 pm »
Hi could i get help with these questions?

You have been given the displacement equation and are being asked to find the velocity which means you have to differentiate your equations before you substitute
--HSC subjects--
Music 1 | Biology | Society and Culture | Spanish Beginners | Math ext 1 & 2 | English Advanced | English ext 1 & 2

anotherworld2b

• Forum Leader
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #832 on: October 21, 2016, 11:06:55 pm »
Thank you for the help
I was also wondering if i could get help with q15 and 16c-e
You have been given the displacement equation and are being asked to find the velocity which means you have to differentiate your equations before you substitute

Blissfulmelodii

• Trendsetter
  • "Mistakes are proof that you are trying!"
« Reply #833 on: October 22, 2016, 09:15:35 am »
Thank you for the help
I was also wondering if i could get help with q15 and 16c-e

No worries. For Q15 you would differentiate the displacement equation to get the velocity equation and then let it equal to 0 to find t
Once you know what time the velocity is 0 you can go back and substitute the t into the displacement equation to find out the displacement at that time.
I hope that makes sense. Let me know if you need me to write up the solution

I'll look at 16 now
--HSC subjects--
Music 1 | Biology | Society and Culture | Spanish Beginners | Math ext 1 & 2 | English Advanced | English ext 1 & 2

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #834 on: October 22, 2016, 10:39:31 am »
Hi Jake or anyone who wants to answer,

I am a 2017 Year 12 Student. This year I did accelerated 2U Mathematics and just 3 and a bit hours ago I did my HSC mathematics. It was ok- but I am certain I was way off 100%, which would probably mean I'll redo it next year. With that in mind, along with my experience of doing past HSC papers, I realised that It was pretty easy for me to get 70% to 80% in a Mathematics Paper since so much of that style of question I had seen before. I found it much trickier getting that last 15-20% since it involves far more application of skills and technique than the earlier questions.

I know this is a problem partially due to the fact I kinda rushed the course in one year, but with respect to the next year, I just wanted to know if you have any advice on how I could fine tune maths skills to the level I could actually do those harder questions...or even just have the confident mindset. Whether it's more past papers, or maybe going back to basic text book work, I just want to know how I should approach the next year keeping in mind the fact that I have bascially completed "course work" already.

Thanks,
Samuel

Hey Samuels!! It definitely sounds like the troubles you are having are completely down to just doing the course in one year. You don't quite have the experience to be able to tackle the weird stuff (and that is absolutely not an insult to your abilities or anything of the sort, it's purely just, you haven't been doing the course for two years). So for starters, you have nothing to worry about at all, and you might be happy with how you went this year! You never know! ;D

Practice papers of all types are the best way to improve here; and doing higher levels of Math (3U and 4U presumably?) will help there too. They will expose you to problem types that can be emulated in 2U exams to challenge the high achievers; the questions you are struggling with.

Practice makes perfect here Sam, but it sounds like you know that already. Keep doing past papers, and watch yourself improve! ;D
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 11:20:22 am by RuiAce »

asd987

• Forum Regular
« Reply #835 on: October 22, 2016, 11:03:07 pm »
Hello,
Can someone please help me with Q16c ii from the 2015 paper. Thankyou

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #836 on: October 22, 2016, 11:05:38 pm »
Hello,
Can someone please help me with Q16c ii from the 2015 paper. Thankyou
Addressed in post #505

katnisschung

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #837 on: October 23, 2016, 02:08:20 pm »
there are no answers  >:( >:( for the practice test i did

q6. Novy leaves her base camp, O and walks in the direction 150°T until she reaches point A on the bank of the river.
Unable to cross the river, she follows it on a bearing of 030°T and stops at point C. The bearing and distance of C from O are 120°T
and 4km respectively

ii)show that angle OAC=60°
I proved it by drawing the diagram which is the first part of the diagram
figured out a few angles
proof
(co-interior angle sum is 180 on parallel lines)

Q5. A person on top of a building 49m in height wishes to find the height of an adjacent building.
If the angle of depression of the adjacent building is 47° 21' from where the person is standing and the
buildings are a distance of 12 m apart.

ii) Calculate the height of the adjacent building (2 dp)
my answer=35.97m

simplify
i) sin^2x - sin^2x cos^x

Thank you!! :)
get me out of here

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #838 on: October 23, 2016, 02:26:23 pm »
there are no answers  >:( >:( for the practice test i did

q6. Novy leaves her base camp, O and walks in the direction 150°T until she reaches point A on the bank of the river.
Unable to cross the river, she follows it on a bearing of 030°T and stops at point C. The bearing and distance of C from O are 120°T
and 4km respectively

ii)show that angle OAC=60°
I proved it by drawing the diagram which is the first part of the diagram
figured out a few angles
proof
(co-interior angle sum is 180 on parallel lines)

Q5. A person on top of a building 49m in height wishes to find the height of an adjacent building.
If the angle of depression of the adjacent building is 47° 21' from where the person is standing and the
buildings are a distance of 12 m apart.

ii) Calculate the height of the adjacent building (2 dp)
my answer=35.97m

simplify
i) sin^2x - sin^2x cos^x

Thank you!! :)
Not sure what cos^x is meant to mean there. If it was a typo for cos(x) then there are many ways of simplifying that and we cannot say for certain which is "the correct answer". Presumably sin^2x-sin^2x cos^2x which might make some sense.

Please put up diagrams that you used in your attempt to complete the other questions (and preferably also your working out for checking). ATARnotes has an app to upload photos or you can attach screenshots if the test was a pdf
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 02:33:27 pm by RuiAce »

katnisschung

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #839 on: October 23, 2016, 03:40:02 pm »
thanks ruiAce

I've attached it here
get me out of here